• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Who-Dey-Hawks at Trivial-Blazers

lethalweapon3

3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Kg, move to the Bay Area, :indifferent: 

@AHF everything is ok, kg had a lil tantrum from lack of sleep. No biggie.

I'm trying to get some assignments out there.  It's unlikely but, if I do, I'm showing up unannounced while you sleep.  Don't worry, I'll get you a blanket....

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47wtpwxh6tazc1kiuert

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I'd take Powell for sure.   I love Nurkic but don't know how he'd fit on this team.  I guess get rid of of Capela?   Can Nurkic catch a lob?

Nurkic sets the best screens, well him and Bogut. Bogut retired right?

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Can Nurkic catch a lob?

Yes and has a surprisingly nice outside touch for a big, he would stretch the floor more than Capela, having said that he can be beaten by quickness and is injury prone (in practice too, like he he land on Trae).

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

And even with those facts, the Hawks are still losing which is my point.  The definition of insanity is what? Things need to change!

In games Trae Young has played we are 8-6 when Trae goes for 30 or more vs 7-12 when he doesn't. Again it's not clear to me less usage = better net results for the team. The games where Trae forces shots have usually been the games the whole team is injured. Even if Trae was completely fresh every defensive posession he wouldn't improve dramatically defensively. Fact is he is too short to bother shooters, even when he isn't late in his rotation.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Last year Clint was a defensive MVP caliber player and probably the team MVP overall (at least in the regular season) over Trae Young. He has not been the same player this year. 

No he certainly hasn't.  But I'm not sure why anyone expected him to play at an MVP level this year.  I wouldn't have extended Clint.  Now they can't trade him til after this year so they stuck.  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

In games Trae Young has played we are 8-6 when Trae goes for 30 or more vs 7-12 when he doesn't. Again it's not clear to me less usage = better net results for the team. The games where Trae forces shots have usually been the games the whole team is injured. Even if Trae was completely fresh every defensive posession he wouldn't improve dramatically defensively. Fact is he is too short to bother shooters, even when he isn't late in his rotation.

Trae has played good defense. I've seen it my own eyes so we need to stop this narrative that he is a zero on defense. Plus let's stop making this about Trae when it is a team issue.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

The KJ reactions are terrible here. 

Clint just had a 20/10 night, played good defense on the interior and the KJ reaction to the loss is Trade Clint. 

Sorry dude.  I know Clint misses some bunnies from time to time.  I know he doesn't hit free throws at an exceptional or even good rate. 

But Clint is a helluva rebounder.  He recognizes the PNR better than most Centers that I have ever seen.   He's a very good fit for this team... and with OO coming off of protocol and getting more minutes... our center rotation is going to be awesome for years to come. 

Let's not talk about Trading Clint unless we can truly get something better.   Not even... not interesting.. but definitely better. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

No he doesn't. He has ATG qualities. GOAT can win games all themselves. Trae isn't like that. Prime LeBron can beat a very good team with Diesel, Supes, Squd, Jay, and AHF

Yup GOATS are two way guys, always. Lebron, MJ, Kareem, Magic, Larry Bird etc... At their best they were equally good defenders and offensive players. Trae can be the best offensive player of his generation though. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Trae has played good defense. I've seen it my own eyes so we need to stop this narrative that he is a zero on defense. Plus let's stop making this about Trae when it is a team issue.

Ok, he has never ranked outside of the *bottom 10 in defensive Raptor during any year of his entire career though, so your eyes can say whatever they like, but then there is this little thing called facts that seem to contradict that. I agree 100% he can and should be better though, but I disagree decreasing his usage is the key to unlocking his defensive potential. Not screwing up a rotation or being more active in the passing lanes are two things he should be able to improve on, and I don't think his offense is holding him back from doing that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Believe it or not the board probably isn't in the mood for a Trae worship session after a brutal loss to a severely short handed Blazers team. Nor is TS fortunately, after listening to the radio interview. 

Please, for the sake of the republic, take the self-ban.  You know you deserve it.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Here's the thing. I agree with you. 

Last night was an anomaly in my eyes... If we had Nate/Chris calling the shots... Maybe we win.. but I doubt it. 

What we need to plan for is that teams will focus on trying to get Trae Iso'd on defense.   Not that he's the worst defender, but offensively players mostly get an offensive advantage when they get Trae.  For instance, I can see the Lakers trying to get Lebron on Trae on a switch.  Whereas we will try to keep Trae on Monk. 

The process requires that Clint moves to support Trae in those situations.  Or that whoever is playing PNR with Trae (defensively) know the correct decision to make when other teams try to cause an unfavorable switch.

We talk about players we miss...

I think Solo and Snell are missed for this reason.  They knew how to implement defense.  We're still a young team and with a bunch of ten dayers our weaknesses are amplified.  One of them being... You don't put Gallo out on the floor with Trae and Kev.   Gallo is my set shot shooter but We have to hide him defensively because the effort is not there.   And Kev's defense is B.S. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

Ok, he has never ranked outside of the top 10 in defensive Raptor during any year of his entire career though, so your eyes can say whatever they like, but then there is this little thing called facts that seem to contradict that. I agree 100% he can and should be better though, but I disagree decreasing his usage is the key to unlocking his defensive potential. Not screwing up a rotation or being more active in the passing lanes are two things he should be able to improve on, and I don't think his offense is holding him back from doing that. 

Then why does he not do it consistently...Plus he actually said himself during the offseason that he needed to get in better condition to play on both sides of the ball.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Yup GOATS are two way guys, always. Lebron, MJ, Kareem, Magic, Larry Bird etc... At their best they were equally good defenders and offensive players. Trae can be the best offensive player of his generation though. 

In a time when 

Harden has won an MVP.

Westbrook has won an MVP.

Curry has won 2 MVPs.  One Unanimous.

Nash has won 2 MVPs over Shaq...

Barkley won an MVP...

Yall are trying to sell that you have to be a 2 way player to be great.   Or maybe the MVP is meaningless?

• Like 1