• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Raptors

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, sturt said:

Have to go 4-2 before the break to get to .500 -- a status we last enjoyed on December 10.

Sure would be nice to get a trade deadline infusion to give us a little boost.

2022-02-04_21-13-27.png

4-2?  Nah, I’m thinking 5-1 with that schedule.   All 3 at home should be wins with Cleveland being the only good team, Orlando on the road is a win and then we have a good shot at a split between Dallas and Boston.    I won’t complain if it’s 4-2 though.

Not mad at the loss again. The effort was there for the most part but we kept digging ourselves holes that we needed to get out of and it took a lot out of us. Let’s get ahead of the Mavs on Sunday and get the W.

Siakam played the best game of the year for him I think. He played a good game for them hats off.

Lets bounce back.

Go Hawks!

• Like 3

Out of town with the family so only saw a few snippets of the game tonight. 

Interesting last 2 games.  Based on Box:

Tor: Trae dishes 13 dimes vs 1 TO, scores 22 pts and they get 23 from JC and Dre plus 18 from Bogi.  31 bench pts. They Lose by 11

Phx: Trae dishes 5 dimes vs 4 TO, scores 43 pts, they get 19 from JC, 13 from Dre, and 11 from Bogi. 23 bench pts.    They Win by 9

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Not mad at the loss again. The effort was there for the most part but we kept digging ourselves holes that we needed to get out of and it took a lot out of us. Let’s get ahead of the Mavs on Sunday and get the W.

Siakam played the best game of the year for him I think. He played a good game for them hats off.

Lets bounce back.

Go Hawks!

Siakam always kills JC.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

😪

If there was ever any doubt, now we know - - Toronto has our number.

Each season one or more teams refuses to lose to some opponent.  Hawks have found their team.

If this wasn't bad enough, Dallas, our next opponent, is red hot right now.  We have a .5 lead on an opponent for 10th place.  They play tonight, I believe.

Five days until trade deadline.  Coach is now using a nine man rotation.  

:search:

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, hylndr11 said:

it is far better to remain quiet and thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.  

we arent better than Toronto right now, we just arent.  You are who you beat, has nothing to do with loyalty, not to mention if you want to question that I can show you my season tix to the Hawks and Falcons.  You do you Dieselputer.

So by your rule of you are who you beat...  We have to be the best team in the league (well second to Toronto and Cleveland).. Because we have beat:  Phoenix and Milwaukee.  We have beat Miami.   We have also beat Philadelphia...

Sometimes, it's the quiet ones that don't know what they're talking about. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's good that there's a technology that can nullify the Narrative that some people want to create. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Diesel said:

No it doesn't. 

Yes it does. If JC wasn't food for Siakam, why is a smaller player like Hunter who needs to guard OG guarding him or Capela who can't defend on the perimeter? 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member

Topic:  Wright in with the first team.

This is a discussion that needs to be had.  Last night, Wright saw some action playing beside Trae.  I think Toronto did a good job of bringing to light that some of our other twos are not good ball handlers.   Hello Bogi, Hello Hunter, Hello Kev.  This is an ongoing thing because it would be good to see us be fluent with Trae in the game playing off ball. 

Enter Delon at the 2.  Defensively, he's a marvel.   He plays passing lanes very well.   He plays man on  defense very well.  One of the things I noticed that he does that Bogi and Kev don't do is that he starts playing defense before the ball gets there.   I wish that can be taught. but he's play positional defense while the ball is on the other side of the floor.   Offensively... He's getting better.   Honestly on offense, watching Delon and OO is like watching twins.  You would think that they have never played offense before this year.   Delon is an opportunity three point shooter.   He can hit the shot.   Last night, he drove the ball a few times and looked good doing it.   BUT  he has a different switch when he's out their with Trae vs. when he's out with the 2nd team. 

This is our problem right now.   He's not a PG.   He's an OG who tends to defer to the better PG.  Nate has to work with him.  IF Delon could ever get to the place where he's as comfortable with the first team as he is with the 2nd unit... we'd have a very dangerous rotation (we are already that but I mean even more dangerous)... becuase Trae off ball can be a problem.   Especially if we set picks to get him a good look. 

Right now, Trae off ball is just Trae roaming until nobody is guarding him.  We need to be a little more intentional and put in some plays to run with Trae off ball.  I'm talking about some Reggie Miller plays. 

I'm talking something like this:

Basketball Play - Pacers Curl Motion

First change the 4 (JC) and the 2 (Delon) around. 

Then...

If Delon is playing the 2.  He has the option of  JC(4) for the corner 3, Hunter on the curl.. or Trae for the standstill three (which Trae would hit probably 80% of the time).   Or just drive the middle. 

The 5 is not going to step out to guard Trae most of the time because the play set up Hunter for the easy lay up.  If Hunter's man doesn't make it through the congestion fast enough, Hunter - easy layup.  If the 5 switches off..  Trae.. easy  3 pter.   If the 5 Step out to play Trae... or Delon's man goes over...Delon easy  step up and FT jumper.  If JC's man goes in to contain Hunter.. JC corner 3. 

We need Nate to dust off those old Hubie Brown overheads that he found when he became coach of the Pacers and see how to use those to play Trae Off Ball. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Yes it does. If JC wasn't food for Siakam, why is a smaller player like Hunter who needs to guard OG guarding him or Capela who can't defend on the perimeter? 

Three reasons.

1.  Siakam is fast and forces a lot of fouls.  But notice, it was mostly Capela defending him because of reason #3.

2.  JC has height and his height bothered GTJr when he was playing him 1 on 1.  GTJr didn't go off like he did before.

3.  Most of the night, we played a zone. 

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

Three reasons.

1.  Siakam is fast and forces a lot of fouls.  But notice, it was mostly Capela defending him because of reason #3.

2.  JC has height and his height bothered GTJr when he was playing him 1 on 1.  GTJr didn't go off like he did before.

3.  Most of the night, we played a zone. 

LOL, you tried but we got data from Siakam v. the Hawks and him being guarded by JC over the last 3 seasons but good try. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

LOL, you tried but we got data from Siakam v. the Hawks and him being guarded by JC over the last 3 seasons but good try. 

When you said.. I tried.. do you mean I spoke the truth??

Because if that's what you mean... You're right. 

[Y]ou came in saying that Siakam always kills JC... In response to a post talking about how Siakam had a career night on us last night. 

Your response was clearly suggesting that JC was getting roasted by Siakim LAST NIGHT.

However, the proof showed that there were 2 encounters of JC on Siakim...  1, JC chopped the ball away after playing good positional defense.   2.. Siakim scored on JC in transition. 

Here's the truth.  NOBODY GiVES A DAMN ABOUT THE HISTORY.   That had nothing to do with Last night because Siakim didn't score much on JC. 

[Y]ou should have said, Siakim normally kills the Hawks. 

Notice.. I'm not saying that JC is some great defensive player.  I don't believe that and you don't believe that.  However, I get tired of People creating Narratives not based on what we saw on the floor....AT THE TIME...

[Edited to remove personal content]

5 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Out of town with the family so only saw a few snippets of the game tonight. 

Interesting last 2 games.  Based on Box:

Tor: Trae dishes 13 dimes vs 1 TO, scores 22 pts and they get 23 from JC and Dre plus 18 from Bogi.  31 bench pts. They Lose by 11

Phx: Trae dishes 5 dimes vs 4 TO, scores 43 pts, they get 19 from JC, 13 from Dre, and 11 from Bogi. 23 bench pts.    They Win by 9

Interesting, huh?

You and I both know that the team as a whole is more successful when Trae scores the ball more, than when he passes a lot and we have a lot of balance scoring.

While the narrative isn't as strong this season as it was last season, the Hawks are 13 - 7 when Trae scores 30 points or more.  When he scores 22 points or less, we're 5 - 7.

And unfortunately for the people who want a balanced, less ball dominant version of Trae, we're only 2 - 6 when he has 13 assists or more in a game.  Surprisingly, we're also 4 - 2 when he has 5 or less assists.

You are what your numbers say you are.

• Like 1