• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Mavericks

lethalweapon3

18 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Dallas was playing very physically (ie fouling like crazy) and our shots were not falling. We needed to do a better job to punish them inside where it was easy to score instead of settling for jumpers we weren't hitting. 

LOL . . we can barely throw entry passes into the post. 

The Trae - Collins pick and roll had it going, before they started trapping Trae up top to get the ball out of his hands or force him into a shot.

We also don't move the ball well as a team, to get guys open shots.  We have guys that like to get their own shot, when they have it in their mind to shoot it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . we can barely throw entry passes into the post. 

The Trae - Collins pick and roll had it going, before they started trapping Trae up top to get the ball out of his hands or force him into a shot.

We also don't move the ball well as a team, to get guys open shots.  We have guys that like to get their own shot, when they have it in their mind to shoot it.

Not to mention Nate's default setting any time the Hawks have trouble scoring is to go to the JC-Gallo lineup. Never mind that that lineup doesn't even score better than lineups with Clint or OO, leave aside the defensive deficiencies..smh

I kinda want Gallo moved just so Nate wont play him and JC together anymore...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Bogi is slow and cannot create well, his offensive role should be similar to Klay Thompson, but his defense is bad... his production and efficiency in the 2H of last year was an anomaly, not the norm, unfortunately.  There is a reason people want Ben Simmons on this team and its because he fills a huge gap we have offensively and he plays elite defense.  Obviously the fit is not perfect, just commenting on how he shores up some weaknesses we consistently see.

To add to this….

Trae and a number of other players looked tired but Trae looked out of it more than his teammates.

it was extremely tough on Trae tonight to a point where even his dribbling was not as quick as it is usually.

I was extremely annoyed with Jeff Van Gundy giving Bullock all those props defensively against Trae tonight ….like seriously?… last year’s playoffs should tell you that Bullock cannot stay in front of Trae but whatever.

While Collins played a pretty good game offensively this is why I tell folks offense impact is so different between a player like Trae and Collins! If Trae has a average game tonight we probably win for sure that is my belief. Huerter started with a pretty good game to a certain degree but I’m not sure what his numbers looked like to finish…everyone else was out of it offensively. I like Bogi a lot but lately he’s been a turnover machine trying to be more of a playmaker seems like. Hunter was unable to catch passes tonight unless they were perfect.

We will have games like this throughout the year and I’m not making excuses for Trae BUT it’s games like this when he performs bad offensively where Schlenk is indeed on the phone looking for help …perhaps  for a player like Simmons because our offense stops and goes with Trae Young on a normal outing. Even playmaking stops and goes with Trae Young not just scoring ….it’s tough over a 82 game period.

then we have folks who want Trae to not handle the ball as often as if anyone else on this team has shown the ability to take over a game consistently or even be a playmaker for long stretches of the game.

im not saying trade collins (no need) for Simmons I’m done with that kind of talk but just wanted to add on to this great post that Trae and Collins still need help offensively especially Trae because his impact offensively cannot be matched.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, JTB said:

While Collins played a pretty good game offensively this is why I tell folks offense impact is so different between a player like Trae and Collins! If Trae has a average game tonight we probably win for sure that is my belief. Huerter started with a pretty good game to a certain degree but I’m not sure what his numbers looked like to finish…everyone else was out of it offensively. I like Bogi a lot but lately he’s been a turnover machine trying to be more of a playmaker seems like. Hunter was unable to catch passes tonight unless they were perfect.

BS meter just went off. 

Trae is responsible for 60-80% of our total offense.  If he has an off night, we're going to struggle.  We go as Trae goes.   But A Huerter on night vs. a Collins on night is the same "Impact". 

Sadly, are we going to act like we don't see Bogi, Kev, and Hunter turning the ball over. 

6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

BS meter just went off. 

Trae is responsible for 60-80% of our total offense.  If he has an off night, we're going to struggle.  We go as Trae goes.   But A Huerter on night vs. a Collins on night is the same "Impact". 

Sadly, are we going to act like we don't see Bogi, Kev, and Hunter turning the ball over. 

and that is the biggest problem with the Atlanta Hawks currently, Trae should not be responsible for 60-80% of the offense every night.  One thing I been screaming at is that this team needs a secondary ballhandler that can take some pressure off of Trae because even if he is young that type of usage will burn out any person.  I know that we want to keep this team together and try to go back to the ECF.  But right now, IMO I don't even think we will get to the play-in in our current state.  I think they game should that we should try to find that one, but I don't think we will find one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, JTB said:

To add to this….

Trae and a number of other players looked tired but Trae looked out of it more than his teammates.

it was extremely tough on Trae tonight to a point where even his dribbling was not as quick as it is usually.

I was extremely annoyed with Jeff Van Gundy giving Bullock all those props defensively against Trae tonight ….like seriously?… last year’s playoffs should tell you that Bullock cannot stay in front of Trae but whatever.

We will have games like this throughout the year and I’m not making excuses for Trae BUT it’s games like this when he performs bad offensively where Schlenk is indeed on the phone looking for help …perhaps  for a player like Simmons because our offense stops and goes with Trae Young on a normal outing. Even playmaking stops and goes with Trae Young not just scoring ….it’s tough over a 82 game period.

then we have folks who want Trae to not handle the ball as often as if anyone else on this team has shown the ability to take over a game consistently or even be a playmaker for long stretches of the game.

im not saying trade collins (no need) for Simmons I’m done with that kind of talk but just wanted to add on to this great post that Trae and Collins still need help offensively especially Trae because his impact offensively cannot be matched.

To not even gain any ground when they were without luka, Brunson, KP, Kleber and Hawks killer Tim Hardaway through that 3rd qtr and early 4th, is just completely embarrassing...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

and that is the biggest problem with the Atlanta Hawks currently, Trae should not be responsible for 60-80% of the offense every night.  One thing I been screaming at is that this team needs a secondary ballhandler that can take some pressure off of Trae because even if he is young that type of usage will burn out any person.  I know that we want to keep this team together and try to go back to the ECF.  But right now, IMO I don't even think we will get to the play-in in our current state.  I think they game should that we should try to find that one, but I don't think we will find one.

Thanks not sure how his “BS Meter” went off while giving back the same facts I posted.

trae impact can’t be replaced but he also shouldn’t be responsible for what I say 90% of the offense…60-80% is an insult to how gifted trae is offensively. He’s so important offensively that his average night offensively can help this team beat any other team in the league and if he’s on fire offensively and the hawks play decent defense I believe no team can truly beat us (at least not easily….they’ll need the basketball gods to grant them a win at that point)

5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Celtics are 30-25. We are 25-28. That's a considerable cushion. 

Yep..

Twice this season, the Hawks got red hot and went on 7 game win streaks. Take those outlier hot streaks away, and the Hawks are 11-28. Maybe we just arent very good?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Something I have noticed.  We never defend the corner three.   That killed us tonight.   I think it's our defense to just give the opposing team a wide open corner three and if they can hit it while a man runs out at them.. God Bless em.   This is a problem.   The corner three is the easiest three to hit.  

Amen.  I noticed this when I started watching opponents made FG replays... weak side 3 is wide open every single possession it feels... it's the most efficient shot in basketball other than a dunk/layup.  We have to do better.  It's not one offender either, it's Bogi, Kev, Dre, Trae, Collins, everyone.  We constantly help when we don't need to and collapse on the paint leaving the corner open.  This is where OO shines over Clint... he can actually switch and do a better job keeping guys in front.  Clint gets cooked and we have to collapse two in the paint or it's free buckets which leads to open 3s every time.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Tough game for us. We played bad. I knew we were in trouble when Luka got his 5th, he wasn’t gonna get his 6th because the league wouldn’t do that and we played timidly and didn’t attack the rim or play our game on offense, we didn’t defend the perimeter on defense. 

Just a tough night overall. Trae definitely had an off night and Bogi has to make teams pay and he didn’t tonight.

BRIGHT SPOT: Kudos to JC with his 18 boards. He was working the glass and hustling all around. Anyone know if 18 was a season high in boards? 

Let’s bounce back vs the Pacers on Tuesday.

I think there are also some pre trade deadline jitters, it showed from Bogi and Huerter for sure. 

Onto the.. wait, that’s not my line. Where’s   @Jody23

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Tough game for us. We played bad. I knew we were in trouble when Luka got his 5th, he wasn’t gonna get his 6th because the league wouldn’t do that and we played timidly and didn’t attack the rim or play our game on offense, we didn’t defend the perimeter on defense. 

We have to have enough smarts to make the refs blow the whistle against Luka.   We ran no plays at him. Trae got at him once... but that was it. 

TWO THINGS:

One - Hawks had a terrible off night shooting.  Missed so many wide open shots that they usually make.  All the credit went to Texas for their wonderful defense.

Two - Can there be any doubt?  Luka Doncic is now the greatest NBA player alive.  He got another triple double by playing against the helpless Atlanta team.  He can do anything he wants to at any time he wants to.  He continues to prove this every time he steps on the floor.

If anyone has any doubt about either, read the "experts" as they gush over Houston.

:frantics:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Just a tough night overall. Trae definitely had an off night and Bogi has to make teams pay and he didn’t tonight.

BRIGHT SPOT: Kudos to JC with his 18 boards. He was working the glass and hustling all around. Anyone know if 18 was a season high in boards? 

Let’s bounce back vs the Pacers on Tuesday.

I think there are also some pre trade deadline jitters, it showed from Bogi and Huerter for sure. 

Onto the.. wait, that’s not my line. Where’s   @Jody23

Agree with all this.

I'll add that him getting that 4th then 5th fouls were the worst things to happen to us and I felt it at the time.  It (a) meant we were gonna play unnaturally and lose our edge.  It also (b) meant they were gonna actually play basketball as opposed to 'watch what Looka does then maybe we win'.

'Unnaturally' in the way that any opposing team goes through after a focal point on the other side goes out.  Like 'wait 99% of the scouting report is sittin' over there, anybody remember what that 1% was?'.

That's not a Hawks thing, that's an NBA team.  How many times have we seen a team lose their star player then rally to win because, in the short term, that actually doesn't benefit the opponent as much as it may seem.

And on (b), the guy in Dallas has more 'help' than folks want to acknowledge.  And Porzingo didn't even play.  Folks need to stahhp with all the excuse making for that team when they lose.

And Carlisle-to-Kidd has been a net-positive for them.  I still can't believe folks were calling Carlisle a top-5 coach.  smdh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, JTB said:

To add to this….

This is not the first time Trae had a bad game vs Dallas. Is he trying too hard because of the Luka trade?

In 8 games:

Scored less than 20 points on 4 occasions and never scored more than 25 points (only opponent!)

Scored less then 40% from the field on 5 occasions

Averages

- points per game 20, 28th out of 29 opponents (24.8 career avg)

- FG% of 40%, 26th (43.6% career)

- TS of 50.9%, 27th (57.7% career)

- Offensive Rating of 103, 27th (113 career)

- The only good stat is 9.4 assists per game, 12th (8.9 career)

• Like 1