• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Magic

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, FrankWhite said:

I was at this game. A few observations:

1. It’s fun to see and hear the opposing team’s fans oohing and ahing for one of our guys. When garbage time hit, the guy behind me (Magic fan) said, “Let’s go. They’re not gonna put Trae back in the game.”

2. I’m not a Capela hater, but the difference between his (lack of) touch around the rim and Okongwu’s is insane.

3. Count me among those baffled that Bogi doesn’t want to come off the bench. It’s the perfect role for him, he’s thriving in it, and it makes our second unit lethal.

If you don't understand why a player that signed a contract to NOT be a bench player and to be a starter is upset with being forced to be a bench player again I don't know what to say. Bogi is being forced to play second fiddle to a lesser player who starts over him. 

Any player that ever played the game, including yours truly, would be furious at this. Especially if I signed a contract to come to your team and was promised I would be the starter.

• Like 1

I think it would be different if Bogi wasn’t getting the same amount of minutes or was sitting during crunch time. But that’s not what’s happening. He’s coming in as the number one option and he’s playing his best ball of the season.

I don’t know why Kevin is such a different player coming off the bench, but he just is. The team is clearly better off with Kevin starting and Bogi as the 6th man. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sothron said:

If you don't understand why a player that signed a contract to NOT be a bench player and to be a starter is upset with being forced to be a bench player again I don't know what to say. Bogi is being forced to play second fiddle to a lesser player who starts over him. 

Any player that ever played the game, including yours truly, would be furious at this. Especially if I signed a contract to come to your team and was promised I would be the starter.

Coming off the bench is not the same thing as playing second fiddle. He is playing 2nd fiddle to Trae and Trae only. Bogi is the only other non-big on the team that consistently gets play ran for him and a green light to hunt his shot.

As far as signing a contract to be a starter, who made this promise to him, Schlenk? As in, not the coach? Did this promise carry over after LP lost his job? Because even under LP, he was in and out of the  starting lineup, so who actually held up this deal? 

He told everyone that he came here because he wanted to win and was promised that this team was not going rebuilding anymore, but trying to make the playoffs. That should be all that matters in the end.

Winning.

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, terrell said:

Jalen's defense looked pretty good tonight.....

I see why they gave us Knox instead of Grimes.. lol

With this said, why is Knox sorry arse getting min over Jalen? Come on Nate.. smh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I think you are misinterpreting our comments.  

We can understand why Bogi would want to start.  Let's be real though.  While he was injured or whatever it was, Kevin was playing much better than him and no one wanted him in the starting line up.  He's come back, apparently, healthy and is playing much better off the bench.  

Bogi said he wants to win and that's the reason he came here.  Him coming off the bench helps us win.

WE don't care about what he's feeling. We are saying him coming off the bench makes sense for us because the team appears to function better that way.

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I don't understand the obsession with starting. Minutes should be what matters, especially end of game minutes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Kevin starting over Bogd has negligible impact on us winning, thus I think Bogd should start .. assuming that's indeed what they promised him in free agency.

Yeah, I think Bogi is a better player than Kevin, so he should be starting.

Bogi can hold his end of the bargain producing as a starter or off the bench. Kevin's play off the bench is the real problem here, and it seems Bogi is getting punished because of it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I don't understand the obsession with starting. Minutes should be what matters, especially end of game minutes.

Come on, bleahk.  You're a big boy.  You don't have to understand the obsession with starting, you just have to understand that most have an obsession with starting.  Then act accordingly.

• Like 1

Just now, kg01 said:

Come on, bleahk.  You're a big boy.  You don't have to understand the obsession with starting, you just have to understand that most have an obsession with starting.  Then act accordingly.

Manu Ginobili technically wasn't a stater. But Pop always had out there to close a game. 

• Premium Member

Seems obvious it's better for the team is he comes off the bench and plays heavy minutes and closes the game.  Our bench unit really needs him on it or we're pretty much going to Gallo to make something happen every possession which isn't sustainable.  Kev can't get his shot off as quick and isn't as confident.  The only thing that Bogi's contract guarantees him is $18M/year.  The only thing coming off the bench changes is he doesn't get his name called over the PA system during the team intro.  Frankly, it's probably better for his next contract if he doesn't share the court with Trae as much if that's something he cares about.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Yeah, I think Bogi is a better player than Kevin, so he should be starting.

Bogi can hold his end of the bargain producing as a starter or off the bench. Kevin's play off the bench is the real problem here, and it seems Bogi is getting punished because of it. 

That is literal how Bogi feels about it. He is being punished because Kevin can't play well off the bench. Nate said earlier this season starters don't lose jobs due to injury (Capela) and yet now Bogi lost his job to Kevin. Bogi is completely outplaying Kevin since Bogi came back from injury. It is night and day watching them play. 

This whole "but we're better as a team right now keeping Bogi on the bench" is a fan's view of the right here and now. Long term Bogi does not want to stay here to be a bench player all over again. It is why he left his previous team. It isn't Bogi's fault that Kevin is playing like dog crap coming off the bench. Why should Bogi be the one to pay for Kevin's failures? It makes absolutely no sense. 

So when the summer rolls around and if this doesn't change don't be shocked if Bogi asks for a trade.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

That is literal how Bogi feels about it. He is being punished because Kevin can't play well off the bench. Nate said earlier this season starters don't lose jobs due to injury (Capela) and yet now Bogi lost his job to Kevin. Bogi is completely outplaying Kevin since Bogi came back from injury. It is night and day watching them play. 

This whole "but we're better as a team right now keeping Bogi on the bench" is a fan's view of the right here and now. Long term Bogi does not want to stay here to be a bench player all over again. It is why he left his previous team. It isn't Bogi's fault that Kevin is playing like dog crap coming off the bench. Why should Bogi be the one to pay for Kevin's failures? It makes absolutely no sense. 

So when the summer rolls around and if this doesn't change don't be shocked if Bogi asks for a trade.

All of this is fine and dandy, but you act like we fans care what Bogi feels.  All we care about is what's best for the team. 

I understand you are communicating what Bogi is feeling, but we don't care. 

He can get traded if that's how he feels.  If the players on this team aren't committed to doing what's best for the team winning, then I don't want them on the team. 

• Like 2

Just now, marco102 said:

All of this is fine and dandy, but you act like we fans care what Bogi feels.  All we care about is what's best for the team. 

He can get traded if that's how he feels.  If the players on this team aren't committed to doing what's best for the team winning, then I don't want them on the team. 

I could understand a reduction in minutes and not being out there to close games as a source of contention. But "starting" seems mostly ceremonial. As I referenced earlier, Popovitch didn't start Manu, but everyone know he was the man.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Pretty much this.  Bogi is playing almost 30 minutes a game, 5th most on the team, just behind Kev who is averaging about 20 more seconds a game, and Hunter, who averages about 25 more seconds a game than Bogi.  Only Trae is really playing materially more minutes than the other core guys.  If Bogi wants to be traded so his name is called at the start of every game and maybe he grabs a couple more minutes per game, so be it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We don't have to care what the guy's feeling.

We do need to care if him, his agent, etc. run down the Hawks reputations because of what he got promised to sign here.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if he or Kevin starts.  If Kevin starting leads to us having (more) trouble signing free agents, Kevin needs to sit.

It's chess, not checkers guys.

giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e47lg3eaenqcvdenuhmx

Edited by kg01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

We don't have to care what the guy's feeling.

We do need to care if him, his agent, etc. run down the Hawks reputations because of what he got promised to sign here.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if he or Kevin starts.  If Kevin starting leads to us having (more) trouble signing free agents, Kevin needs to sit.

It's chess, not checkers guys.

giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e47lg3eaenqcvdenuhmx

Thank you. Glad to see someone get the long term problems with lying to Bogi and screwing him over. This whole "we don't care how he feels" is just...wow. No, you DO care how he feels or you should. 

I also point out that this is another example of how Kevin is getting a free pass. Well, Kevin sucks donkey balls as a bench player so its ok to screw another player over to appease Kevin by making him a starter. What? Why shouldn't KEVIN be the one stuck to the bench and being criticized for playing so badly as a bench player?

• Like 1