• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Pistons

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

They keep comparing the two, I don’t see it. Grant was an above the rim player. Cunningham isn’t nearly as explosive or at least doesn’t play like it.

Ya, I’ve been a Hawks fan for a min too, I’ve noticed over the years, even when we are a more talented team, there are nights that we just go through the motions. I guess the same can be said if you ask other fan bases about their teams as well,

We just aren’t and haven’t been the franchise that blows teams out. 

No matter how well coached, Killian Hayes and Cunningham should not be beating us  at this stage of their careers.

I didn't know that there was an ongoing comparison. However, what I see is... I guess you can call it Pace. 

Grant Hill (before the injury) was a guy who could get the ball and be a point forward.  In that, he would take guys off the dribble.  He and Cunningham have this similarity (to me).. they know which way a defender is going to lean.   Last night watching Cunningham cook Bogi was (to me) like watching how Hill used to cook guys.   The finish is irrelevant.. whether it was a layup or a dunk... It is more about how in control of his own body and movement that Cunningham is (Grant was) when being guarded.  When you see it, it looks Smooth.  Like watching a gazelle elude a cheetah.  It's one move and the cheetah is tumbling for 30 yards.   It's the same thing for Cunningham... It's one move and you say.. Damn.  The thing is.. it's not a move like Jason Williams (white chocolate) would make.. it was a move that is very settle.. it's the slight lean and it's more about when he does it instead of what he did.  He got something.  On a few occassions, when he had the ball in his hand, you just saw the whole floor open up for him to get an easy layup.  It was that lean.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

They keep comparing the two, I don’t see it. Grant was an above the rim player. Cunningham isn’t nearly as explosive or at least doesn’t play like it.

Ya, I’ve been a Hawks fan for a min too, I’ve noticed over the years, even when we are a more talented team, there are nights that we just go through the motions. I guess the same can be said if you ask other fan bases about their teams as well,

We just aren’t and haven’t been the franchise that blows teams out. 

No matter how well coached, Killian Hayes and Cunningham should not be beating us  at this stage of their careers.

They play alike to me. Like a lot alike 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You and @Spud2nique are both right (wrong?).  They play alike except for the fact that Hill was a much better, explosive athlete.

And, just like that, kg steps in and settles another squawk dispute.  Call me Squawk Ghandi (Squwandhi? 🤔)

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You and @Spud2nique are both right (wrong?).  They play alike except for the fact that Hill was a much better, explosive athlete.

And, just like that, kg steps in and settles another squawk dispute.  Call me Squawk Ghandi (Squwandhi? 🤔)

Settled GIFs | Tenor

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I didn't know that there was an ongoing comparison. However, what I see is... I guess you can call it Pace. 

Grant Hill (before the injury) was a guy who could get the ball and be a point forward.  In that, he would take guys off the dribble.  He and Cunningham have this similarity (to me).. they know which way a defender is going to lean.   Last night watching Cunningham cook Bogi was (to me) like watching how Hill used to cook guys.   The finish is irrelevant.. whether it was a layup or a dunk... It is more about how in control of his own body and movement that Cunningham is (Grant was) when being guarded.  When you see it, it looks Smooth.  Like watching a gazelle elude a cheetah.  It's one move and the cheetah is tumbling for 30 yards.   It's the same thing for Cunningham... It's one move and you say.. Damn.  The thing is.. it's not a move like Jason Williams (white chocolate) would make.. it was a move that is very settle.. it's the slight lean and it's more about when he does it instead of what he did.  He got something.  On a few occassions, when he had the ball in his hand, you just saw the whole floor open up for him to get an easy layup.  It was that lean.

I like this. Ok now this I get and agree, the pace thing with the leaning gazelle thingy over the cheetah 🐆. Good breakdown Diesel, I dig.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I saw it when Diesel painted the pic a bit more as far as pace and stylistic grace. :indifferent:

I think I was just honing in on the fact that he wasn’t the athlete Grant was as far as straight explosiveness. I know Cunningham got some ups but when Grant got in the air, it looked more athletic is all.

Also, you said Hunter is like Kerry Kittles and then you said Jerome Kersey couldn’t shoot so there’s that. :sarcastic: I kid, I love the Super of the squawk building! 

image.gif.1fc6ac56d8fe980b0c1cd7e5d46460fa.gif

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Some people might not remember Co-ROY Grant HIll.   This is that. 

Are you callin me.. “some people”..? :indifferent:

15 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Some people might not remember Co-ROY Grant HIll.   This is that. 

I just gave you props on the breakdown! :black_eye:

They also count:  Seven times the Hawks went to the free throw line and bricked the shot.  Seven attempts to score while everything else stood still and yet they couldn't.  They are being paid $$$Millions each season to play this game and they do this.  Seven misses.  Boggie made all of his.  Every other starter had at least one miss.  This game is complicated.  Free throws are simple.  They are called free.

Some terrible plays.  They didn't do this or that.  Threw the ball away.  Played terrible defense.  It's all listed under this topic somewhere.  All probably true.  And, did I mention the missed free throws?

😪

• Like 4

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Also, you said Hunter is like Kerry Kittles and then you said Jerome Kersey couldn’t shoot so there’s that. :sarcastic: I kid, I love the Super of the squawk building! 

Wait Really GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, bleachkit said:

The question remains, how do we win when Trae has an off night? Usually we don't have much of an answer.

I keep asking.

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Like I say, there are enough little things to go around.   No need focusing on one. 

The Little things add up.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I keep asking.

Gotta be someone that isn't dependent upon the PG to get them the ball.  So Ayton, while a good start, probably isn't the answer.  Just like JC isn't the answer.  Ideally, Hunter would morph into that, but I'm starting to doubt that. 

13 hours ago, Sothron said:

He did tip out a rebound and started looking for shot but he definitely played a good game. He was easily the best player in this game. Trae couldn't get a shot to go in to save his life. JC and the rest of the starters disappeared. Outside of Lou did anyone else even show up for this game? Blaming the only good performance out of any starter tonight seems a bit harsh. 

As I said in my first post, we have no excuses for that loss. Missing free throws as a team. All JC had to do was hit two free throws with 1.6 left in regulation and we walk out with a win. Another game where the opposing team shoots very well from three. Again. It is a recurring nightmare over and over for this team.

He was definitely not the best player in the game. 2 - 11 from 3. Getting cooked on defense. Committed the bad foul at the end, due to getting cooked.  Good on his drives.  Good with his secondary passing.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I want to turn attention to our perimeter defense.  How does a guy like Livers get off.

I will talk about our switching in another post.. but right now.. the focus of the problem is defensive spacing. 

Check this out (Videos 1 and 3). 

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=FGA&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=31800&GameID=0022100968&PlayerID=1629027&RangeType=0&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612737&flag=3&sct=plot&section=game

In both of those videos you can see the horrible spacing we have.   Video 2 is just a good shot.  Lou was there but just not a big enough deterant.  But in 1 and 3, you see the same thing.. 4 guys going to crowd 1 guy... then a ball rotation.. and a wide open shot for 3. 

Now.. Notice here in this package... videos 2 & 5

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=FGA&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=31800&GameID=0022100968&PlayerID=1630587&RangeType=0&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612765&flag=3&sct=plot&section=game

In that package, the team spacing is much better.   Video #2 is the 2nd Unit.  Notice that on defense they tend to stay in the vicinity.   In video #5, the first team stays with the man enough to hinder the shot.   However, video #6 in this package... if Livers were a better shooter would have been a hit.   Spacing was bad. 

Our spacing is a problem.  Ball movement causes our spacing to go to crap.  Especially the first unit.