• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Nets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

So, if I understand Ja Morant's mvp chase correctly, what you're saying is that Collins may finish top 5 mvp?

You know I see what ya did there..and I gotta tell ya… IIII LUUUUVVVVV ITTT..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

3. Gallo, finally had a good game coming back from injury.

I have a romantic Italian love/hate affair with Gallo but last night he was definitely a great lover..

Ya, I don’t know where I’m going with this..

Great game ..

• Haha 1

I'll give Durant credit because in a post game interview he said the 49 free throws were not bad reffing.  He said the Nets were undisciplined and reaching in instead of playing legit defense.  

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm definitely unto something here: 1st Knox, then OO and now Hunter with his clutch freethrows and 10 rebounds.

For the next game versus the Raptors I'm gonna be calling out Huerter and Bogi for their 3 point dud vs the Nets 1-13...7%.

Gotta do better guys. 

It could just be you!!!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Diesel said:

Just looking back for a moment.

We have done all of this without JC. Hopefully JC gets his playoff form and comes back strong. 

The fact that we have been as injured as we have been and we are where we are is a credit to this team!

Collins is a pretty good player, he just doesnt fit a Trae led team imo.... He isn’t really a liability, he just isn’t great at the things the Hawks need Trae’s supporting cast to be great at, so if you replace his minutes with a lesser player who is better at those specific things (switchability on defense and ability to handle the ball mainly) the team doesn’t really suffer from his absence much...

The offensive rating has soared with him out. IMO it’s because Collins is a 4/5 tweener without playmaking or passing abilities. He is redundant with Capela or OO on rim rolling, and redundant with Gallo or Hunter if all he does is stand at the 3 point line.....

Ball moves better as a team with a perimeter player like Gallo, Hunter, or even TLC. The stats show this out. Prior to this game Hawks had +3.0 net rating with him out vs when he played this year. Defense is a lil worse which is expected due to loss of rebounding and help defense at the rim, but offensive rating improvement is more than double the loss on defensive rating......

Edited by terrell

Sam Mitchell really, inadvertently, ripped Nash apart in his analysis.  Basically said the way they're using Durant is asinine and unnecessarily wears him down.

Why is he starting his 'move' out by half court, for example?

Basically said they need to watch old GSW tape to see how to use him.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Sam Mitchell really, inadvertently, ripped Nash apart in his analysis.  Basically said the way they're using Durant is asinine and unnecessarily wears him down.

Love Sam he’s our guy. Wanted him as Hawks coach for the longest, before Bud came in. Wait, or was it after Bud.. :indifferent:

In any event I was just walking 🚶 in the city I’m touring and a lady in her 30’s walks by me saying, “Tommy you there?.. Ya listen, put $250 on the Mavs 2nd half.”

Not gonna lie @TheNorthCydeRises..

image.gif.8f55011965eb83dd32ab3080990a76c5.gif

Now I check scores and she looks like she won. :ok:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Im gonna have to disagree with Sam here. What is Nash supposed to do? They dont have the personnel to do the things GSW did. Riding KD was the right call. 

10 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Im gonna have to disagree with Sam here. What is Nash supposed to do? They dont have the personnel to do the things GSW did. Riding KD was the right call. 

You can ride him without riding him into the ground.  They have personnel to run nba-level plays.  All they were doing was giving kd the ball and standing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

You can ride him without riding him into the ground.  They have personnel to run nba-level plays.  All they were doing was giving kd the ball and standing.

What evidence is there he is running him to the ground? He's playing his best basketball of the year atm. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Just since RandomFan laguhed as a reaction here are the stats of 1986 compared to today:

1986: average team PPG: 109ppg Average shots taken: 88 pace: 100

2022: average team ppg:  110ppg Average shots taiken: 88; pace: 98

So yea, how could this be? How could the 80s where every team was piledriving offensive players to the ground like the bad boy Pistons have teams scoring at will almost at an identical rate to today? Is it because every team was just infinitely better offensively than today? I don't think so, rather maybe the notion every team in the 80s was defending like the "bad boys" is a complete BS myth? Fact is majority, I mean majority of the teams didn't give a single hint of effort on defense back then, and the showtime Lakers popularized an insane pace that inflated scoring in that decade... just like scoring is inflated now. 

So yea, in the 90s through to the early 2000s that was the real slow pace, grind it out defensive era. You had teams like Detroit and Sixers who were pretty bad offensively make Finals appearance on defense alone. During the era Jordan's was averaging around 28-30 ppg not the 37-35 he was averaging in the 80s. So yea, this is all to say the notion you have to add like 5 extra points to Jordan's average to account for the defense of his era is BS to me. Both Jordan and Druant spent about an equal amount of time in defensively bereft eras. I do think Jordan gets the edge, but Durant is damn close. If you talk defense and overall all around game though then that's where Jordan laps him. 

Usually, I don't jump into others debates.. however, this debate needs some truth to be told.  You just said that Detroit and Philly were bad offensive teams?  And you are comparing the eras...

Let's start here... you started a really good thing... Pace.  The fast break was the difference. 

A team like the Lakers (Magic, Kareem) or the Jazz (Stockton, Malone) would dominate today's game.   One of the reasons we won yesterday was the dreaded Take foul.  Teams today are lazier than during the 80s. A fast breaking team would kill some of the teams today because of the Pace.   The key to the fast break was that it was used to keep teams from being able to set up a halfcourt defense. What made Utah supremely better than most teams is that when they were not in the fast break, they had a halfcourt game (PNR) that was also close to unstoppable. 

Today's game has become about the three point shot. 90 bulls vs 21 Bucks...  

90' Bulls  = 424 3pt attempts. 

22' Bucks = 2669 3pt attempts. 

Let that sink in a second... The championship Bucks team shot more than 6 times as many three pointers as the championship Bulls.   

The defense was also different.  Teams like Chicago and Detroit hounded other teams.  Last night, we doubled KD for 1/2 of a quarter and he was bothered by it.   His offense was reduced to nothing.   Against a team like the Bulls,  KD would see a constant double team all game.   MJ was not a great on ball defender.  People who never watched the Bulls think that MJ was shutting down people.   Nope.  Watch AI cross him up.  MJ was the rover.  The hard assignment went to Pippen.  The next hardest went to Harper.. and then you have MJ roving. He got blocks and steals because he understood offenses and where the ball was supposed to go.  I've often wondered what would happen if the 90's bulls played KD's GS team.    Those Bulls teams only allowed other teams toget about 30% from three.  But there were no three point shooters like Steph and Klay playing back then. 

The Philly team that made the finals wasn't an offensive Jaugarnaunt... but Iverson.....

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

This is the problem.  The whole league knows that Nash's only coaching is to push the KD button.    Sam Mitchell gave great examples of what Brooklyn could do yesterday (it may have been at the half or after the game) but the third quarter was ISO KD.   When we went into doubling KD.. Brooklyn's run stopped.   In fact, they looked down right bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

For me.. We played pretty bad yesterday.   Shots wasn't falling.   Defense was good and we made their stars hit tough shots.  But offensively, for a while, we sucked.  Our 2nd Unit was the savior of the game.  They came in and brought order.   However, even with them.. Bogi was hunting for his shot.  We can't have Bogi doing that for 2 quarters straight.  Bogi has the ability to put the ball on the floor and score.   When his three isn't dropping, he should do that.  I still cringe everytime we're on the break and we run it out to the three point line. 

Alright time for the good.

When the game starter... They punched us dead in the mouth.  I was very concerned.  Then Hunter started hitting shots.  What??  

3 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

What evidence is there he is running him to the ground? He's playing his best basketball of the year atm. 

He's having to work way too hard to score.  Thats the issue.

The point Mitchell was making was that, if they actually coach, he can be just as effective while expending far less energy.   Which would help all of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1