• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at heat

lethalweapon3

54 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The long chucks have to be in rhythm.  When he's squared up to the basket, he can make that shot at a decent percentage.

With the Heat coming at him so aggressive, it's probably best that he drives into the lane to see if he can get to the FT line.

The worst thing we ever did was put Trae with all these passive offensive players. Hunter is passive. Huerter is passive. Capela is passive and has no offensive game to speak of anyway. Collins can’t dribble or create his own shot. This has created a monster, and I hope Trae doesn’t spend his entire career chasing clutch shots.......................Get him some fkn help Travis.. smh

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Honestly, what is Travis going to be able to do this off-season? None of this team's young players have any notable trade value.

Cap is overpaid... KH is overpaid... Wright is mediocre.

Collins is probably the only one with any value and this was one of his worst seasons.

I 100% disagree. Capela is far from overpaid and Wright is a FA so there is no guarantee he's back. I guess this is you being the negative nancy thing. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Capela is very tradeable and he would get my vote. Will forever appreciate what he did for us especially last year but we have other areas of the team we need to improve on and Okonguw has enough potential to roll the dice and try to flip Clint.

OO as our starting center next season? Hawks arent serious if thats what they roll with...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Capela is very tradeable and he would get my vote. Will forever appreciate what he did for us especially last year but we have other areas of the team we need to improve on and Okonguw has enough potential to roll the dice and try to flip Clint.

There's a glowing error with trading away one of our better players... and not addressing the wangs. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The only players on our team that look for their own shot are Bogi and Gallo. Everyone else is basically stand back and shoot threes or are just a rimrunner with hands of stone in Capela. I would kill for us to get a center with a low post and mid range game or a wing player that attacked the basket and drew contact.

I foolishly thought Hunter and/or Cam would grow into that. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

There's a glowing error with trading away one of our better players... and not addressing the wangs. 

Hunter was a +16 and played like shit which is why I keep saying, downgrade from Hunter. Get someone who's just a 3&D guy that's cheap. It's not that important of a position in Trae ball anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sothron said:

I foolishly thought Hunter and/or Cam would grow into that. 

Over and over I tried to tell people baby Kawhi and baby PG13 was a fan delusion.  I honestly thought Hunter was way better than Cam, but now I can’t see anything he does well. We could afford to miss on one of them, but missing on both is killing us.  
Now we might have to give up a few first rounders to bring in a real player. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

Trae caused us this game tonight. When he came in to close the game we didn't need hero Trae. We needed the floor general Trae. 

Trae had 6 assists in the 3rd quarter alone.  But he also shot 1 - 8 FG in that quarter.

In the 4th quarter, he was 2 - 4 FG, but missed both of his 3s and had 2 turnovers.  

Trae missed 3 with 2:24 left in the 4th

image.png.90e4f61f3de939f04c7764cd1f2f217c.png

The possession before, he had just made a stepback "almost 3" at the top of the arc to put us up by 4.  The biggest issues with this shot are (1) he's not open and (2) there's still 16 seconds left on the shot clock.  He could've gotten a better look than this.  Also. Gallo should be rotated a lot closer to Trae. 

Trae missed 3 with 47 seconds left

image.png.ee33f7fcd256f881b27bdb1a195085e0.png

This was probably the worst shot.  He's shooting a Dirk-like 3 off of one foot ( that he made earlier in the 1st half when just bullshiiting around after a foul was called, by the way ).  But in both of those 3 point misses in the 4th, they were caused by Jimmy Butler doing a hard double team on Trae.  The Heat were not going to let Strus get abused by Trae like he did in the 1st half.  On this shot, Trae only has 4 seconds to shoot.  But look where we are as a team.  3 guys out on the perimeter.  Clint is on the baseline.   No movement by anyone into the paint to possibly give Trae a passer.  No pick and roll action at all.

On the 2 turnovers, Bogi literally has the ball, but Lowry gets there almost the same time and knocks it out of his hands.

image.png.321a2a155ccf25ece8e889b808705e1f.png

This turnover was charged to Trae, because Lowry stole the ball, even though Bogi clearly has the ball in his hands.  But this was a bang/bang play in which Lowry gets there a split second after Bogi has the ball.  On the video, Lowry starts out to aggressively stay with Bogi in the paint.  Bogi pops out to the top of the arc to get the ball and thought he had lost Lowry. But Kyle fight hard to recover and gets to Bogi as soon as the ball got there.  Easy steal and layup for Lowry.

On the last turnover, Capela has the ball go right through his hands

image.png.893120e8e023176936fe3a97aebaaddc.png

This was the 2nd lob that Capela flat out missed.  The other two you can blame on a Trae high pass, and defenders closing on him in traffic.  But this was supposed to be an easy 2 points.  I honestly don't know how he missed that.  Even if he wasn't in position to comfortably dunk it, just catch it and lay it off the glass or tap it into the basket.  This miss was critical because Herro would come down on the next possession and get a long 3 to bounce in, giving the Heat the lead.

Gallo misses a 3 with 11 seconds left

image.png.48d5e1c24f14bbaa8d1ea4791fb0c856.png

image.png.47604b96effe486a7f8a4c686180e244.png

image.png.3d411b5c235561e3a9918a2d39693aa5.png

image.png.d1efb4e87eba1dcd5e96200279e4b864.png

Trae makes the right play here.  He drives aggressively into the paint and doesn't allow the Jimmy late double team to affect him.  Once in the paint, he turns and finds an open Gallo up top.  But as you can see on the last pic, Martin closes the gap big time, due to Gallo not having the quickest release in the world.  Martin's close out causes Gallo to fade back on hit shot, and it barely hits the front rim.

Game over

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Over and over I tried to tell people baby Kawhi and baby PG13 was a fan delusion.  I honestly thought Hunter was way better than Cam, but now I can’t see anything he does well. We could afford to miss on one of them, but missing on both is killing us.  
Now we might have to give up a few first rounders to bring in a real player. 

Sign me up.  Let some other team fawn over the empty boxes aka FRP's.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Once again Nate goes with an all-offense lineup to close the game

.....yet we only scored 6 points in the last 5+ minutes. Smh

I think what is killing us down the stretch of some of these games, is that we're just not offensively and defensively balanced

Yep.

• Like 1

The other thing is this.

Once again Nate goes with an all-offense lineup to close the game.  You still have to question if going with Trae - Bogi - Hueter - Gallo is your best group to get you a win.  It's your best group if you want to make a 3 point shot, but maybe not your best group overall to win a game.

Gallo didn't have it tonight, so maybe we WERE better off having an offensive liability like Dre in the game, strictly for on the ball defense.  Or maybe you let Delon play alongside Trae, to give us another guy who will at least attack the rim if need be.

I think what is killing us down the stretch of some of these games, is that we're just not offensively and defensively balanced.   With Collins, we could at least look at him as an average defender and scorer that can make a shot or catch a lob.  Without him, we're deciding to go with shooters or play small ball.

I think Nate is expecting something different out of the groups he's been playing, hoping that they'll play defense better, or have better offensive cohesion.  But it's almost too late to switch up things now.  If I'm the coach, and we happen to get up comfortably in the Houston game ( which is doubtful ), I would throw a few experimental lineups out there, just to see how they look.

I've been whining for a big lineup all season.  Let's see if Trae - Bogi - Gallo - Okongwu - and Capela could function out on the court.  Let's see if a lineup like that gives us the offensive and defensive balance that we need.

Good post. Finally someone gets it. Miami made an effortless comeback because we couldn't stop them and they were stopping us

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I think Nate is expecting something different out of the groups he's been playing, hoping that they'll play defense better, or have better offensive cohesion.  But it's almost too late to switch up things now.  If I'm the coach, and we happen to get up comfortably in the Houston game ( which is doubtful ), I would throw a few experimental lineups out there, just to see how they look.

I think Nate has tricked us into thinking he's a defensive minded coach first, offense second. 

I said after seeing the Wiz game live there is so much 'Non-Communication' on defense on the perimeter especially. 

Nate can't adjust on the fly, the game plan is what it is for him and #That'stheRotation

• Sad 2

I dont think Schlenk nec fked up the draft, I think Hunter just ended up not being able to stay healthy - but he was a good bet to workout.  not sure about OO was hoping for more from him this year.  Collins at 19 worked out pretty well.  Theres just not enough star players in the NBA really

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Nice work as always lw3! @kg01 and his BIL bragging rights.

pssst .... spud?  Over here.

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47wupax5o72bfvxbyfimm

I'm in hiding after last night.  I was talkin' some ca$h sh*t to the BIL and ... well, you know how it turned out.

I might have to use my actual burner account for a while.  Just until things blow over.

What, ya'll didn't know about the actual burner account(s)?  Uh .. forget I said anything...

200.webp?cid=ecf05e475dm60qymqoi5ymlfxb2

• Haha 2