• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Read an interesting Twitter take...

Diesel

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

One star thread. 

Well….I did see that Hunter is one of the worst starters at his position on advanced stats. I thought that interesting but I still don’t want to get rid of hunter unless we are getting a very good return.

and I credit TLC lately he’s had some good games for us late in this season. I ain’t with the better then hunter story but atleast TLC is a better version of himself lately .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JTB said:

Well….I did see that Hunter is one of the worst starters at his position on advanced stats. I thought that interesting but I still don’t want to get rid of hunter unless we are getting a very good return.

and I credit TLC lately he’s had some good games for us late in this season. I ain’t with the better then hunter story but atleast TLC is a better version of himself lately .

Adv stats are garbage for our wings because they take the blame due to Trae on defense yet get screwed with touches. Anyone who really understands the game knows Dre can defend at a high level. Dre doesn't fit and never will, it will be hard for any wing to shine in Atlanta but threads like this are garbage. Whoever plays the most with Trae will look terrible at the wing position. It's a fact. 

Hunter is the new scapegoat when he's not even bad. 

I can't wait till he's with a different team, getting touches. 

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Damn, you just loved that draft year huh??

You just love shit posting huh? 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

My biggest issue with Hunter in this aspect is that when you go 1v1 to draw a foul, you need to finish the play. You finish the play and shoot 80% its a 2.8 point play and not a 1.5 point play.  That's really the rub here with Hunter right now. He's turning the ball over too much when trying to drive and when he does draw the foul, he's not finishing the play. This needs to improve.

This.

He's getting in the paint on drives easily enough, but like you said not finishing:

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=FGA&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=28800&GameID=0022101207&PlayerID=1629631&RangeType=0&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612737&flag=3&sct=plot&section=game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

So when crafting metrics, people tend to focus on FG%.  What they fail to remember is that shot attempts when fouls occur are not counted as attempts if the shot is missed and the foul came before or during the shot.

Hunter is forcing a lot of drives to the basket the last 20 games and missing most of the attempts (uncounted in stats).  Now typically, that's applauded as most players who force fouls are also shooting free throws at a high clip.  Hunter is hitting 76% which is very average.  So on foul shot attempts driving to the basket, that means his drive is worth right at 1.52 point each.  This sounds great but there are a lot of other aspects to this. The biggest of which is slowing the flow of the game, which for a push it team like the Hawks can be detrimental. Also, many of those forced shots from Hunter are very early in the shot clock. See below.

When a team moves the ball and forces the other team to chase, it tends to affect the opposing team on the offensive team as it wears them out. The iso, drive to the basket ball that Hunter is currently forcing (the team is actually pushing this so its not all Hunter), gives opposing teams a chance to rest and set up their offense for the next trip down the court.

I'm not going to crap on Hunter though as most of what he's doing is team sponsored and he's not 100% healthy and playing himself into shape.

My biggest issue with Hunter in this aspect is that when you go 1v1 to draw a foul, you need to finish the play. You finish the play and shoot 80% its a 2.8 point play and not a 1.5 point play.  That's really the rub here with Hunter right now. He's turning the ball over too much when trying to drive and when he does draw the foul, he's not finishing the play. This needs to improve.

Great post.  You got popular coaches and GMs who don’t understand the benefits of late clock offense.  Even after the Spurs and Warriors won a boatload of ‘ships with it as a staple smh.

I usually hate to discourage dribble drives but you make a good case to do so for Dre.  If he had much better hops and playmaking ability when “attacking” it would be much better (Herro put on an absolute clinic in dribble drive playmaking last game, many times drawing 3 guys).

I’m not sure how “FGs added” are calculated on BB Ref but he’s second worst on the team behind Lou.  

I didn’t realize that about the counting of FG attempts as it relates to fouls, as his FG% within 3 feet is very respectable (.664). 

I always marveled at how Danny Green couldn’t handle, finish, nor pass but was usually a boost for his teams’ offensive metrics.  I’ve always said screening and cutting is sorely missing from Dre’s game.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Great post.  You got popular coaches and GMs who don’t understand the benefits of late clock offense.  Even after the Spurs and Warriors won a boatload of ‘ships with it as a staple smh.

I usually hate to discourage dribble drives but you make a good case to do so for Dre.  If he had much better hops and playmaking ability when “attacking” it would be much better (Herro put on an absolute clinic in dribble drive playmaking last game, many times drawing 3 guys).

I’m not sure how “FGs added” are calculated on BB Ref but he’s second worst on the team behind Lou.  

I didn’t realize that about the counting of FG attempts as it relates to fouls, as his FG% within 3 feet is very respectable (.664). 

I always marveled at how Danny Green couldn’t handle, finish, nor pass but was usually a boost for his teams’ offensive metrics.  I’ve always said screening and cutting is sorely missing from Dre’s game.

Look how he's used and look how Hunter is used. It's frustrating 

10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Funny thing is I believe he can improve greatly on finishing strong . Hunter ain’t no weak dude so if just finishing stronger and hitting his free throws at an 80% clip along with keeping up the good defense is his way of making impact…then I truly believe we will see that happen Dre.

• Moderators

To the OP, as much as Dre has disappointed me this year he is still clearly better than TLC.  Not even a discussion point for me.  

Hunter needs to start showing actual skill improvements that translate into production.  That failed to happen this season.  We need that from our #4 overall pick.  He and JC are the same age so you hope there is room left for improvement with both of them but the difference in how far JC has come from his rookie year and how far Hunter has come is night and day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AHF said:

To the OP, as much as Dre has disappointed me this year he is still clearly better than TLC.  Not even a discussion point for me.  

Hunter needs to start showing actual skill improvements that translate into production.  That failed to happen this season.  We need that from our #4 overall pick.  He and JC are the same age so you hope there is room left for improvement with both of them but the difference in how far JC has come from his rookie year and how far Hunter has come is night and day.

Idk if this is a fair one. JC was the perfect fit got Trae at that early stage. Once we became a team trying to contend, he stopped fitting in at a great level. Dre never fit outside of the time LP forced Dre down Trae's throat