• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Double teaming Trae...

Diesel

29 minutes ago, Diesel said:

From here on out, this is something that we should plan for.

It's funny though... As you look through the league this year... No other player gets doubled.  Has Luka ever been doubled?  What about CP3??  Seriously, I'm asking.  Do other teams game plan involve, getting the ball out of Luka's hand and forcing the rest of the mavs to beat us.   Honestly, the Mavs don't have that kind of talent.   I think the only other guard that I have seen get doubled to get the ball out of his hand is Steph Curry. 

This is yet another reason why the Guard with the highest PER in the league and who leads the league in Total Points and Assists ought to be 1st Team All NBA.   Trae should also get at least 1 MVP vote. 

But anyway...

Nate should have at least two ways that we can break the double team on Trae.  I think Trae has been making some excellent decisions. 

Had this EXACT SAME thought earlier today about Luka and the Mavs.  Their roster is no better than the Hawks so why aren't teams selling out to get the ball out of Luka's hands?  I haven't seen a ton of Mavs games but the ones I have seen haven't done any of that like teams regularly do with Trae.  

I think it proves there is real merit to the idea that Trae is quite literally the best offensive player in the NBA.  No matter what teams do, he can still have a major impact on the game.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Had this EXACT SAME thought earlier today about Luka and the Mavs.  Their roster is no better than the Hawks so why aren't teams selling out to get the ball out of Luka's hands?  I haven't seen a ton of Mavs games but the ones I have seen haven't done any of that like teams regularly do with Trae.  

I think it proves there is real merit to the idea that Trae is quite literally the best offensive player in the NBA.  No matter what teams do, he can still have a major impact on the game.  

Jokic up there, but yea. Trae is either #1 or #2 for sure. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

Probably has to do with Trae's height. Teams think they should be able to crowd him and force a turnover, but "LuKa Is 6"7 aNd YoU CaN't CrOWd HiM"

this 100%.   

Except the last purple part which is stupid.  The reason you don't double Luka is because at 6'7 he can easily pass over the double team.  Trae can't do that which makes him a much easier person to double.

• Premium Member
Just now, Atlantaholic said:

Trae is doing a much, much better job of trusting his teammates. A couple of years ago when he would see that aggressive double team he would be looking to make the "assist" instead of just getting rid of the ball, and it caused a bunch of turnovers. Now he is much more willing to concede and move the ball quickly rather than wait for the home run "pass".

That's why the trap doesn't work consistently anymore. It's a combination of Trae maturing and the rest of the team making the other team pay for trapping. He's embracing the hockey assist. I even see Trae pointing to next guy the ball needs to go to instead of him frantically trying to get the ball back. He's developing into a more complete floor general. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

From here on out, this is something that we should plan for.It's funny though... As you look through the league this year... No other player gets doubled.  Has Luka ever been doubled?  What about CP3??  

You can't be serious? Do you watch Basketball?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, hawkman said:

That's why the trap doesn't work consistently anymore. It's a combination of Trae maturing and the rest of the team making the other team pay for trapping. He's embracing the hockey assist. I even see Trae pointing to next guy the ball needs to go to instead of him frantically trying to get the ball back. He's developing into a more complete floor general. 

It was Cleveland's gameplan and it backfired big time. They were able to bottle Trae up but at the cost of the rest of the team getting open shots and we killed them. Tough strategy to go to against a team that led the NBA in 3pt%, but in a one game elimination I could see why rolling the dice is worth a shot. If you catch us on a cold shooting night it's a different story. 

• Like 1

Part of Trae's success in handling the pressure is he's used to it.  He's seen so many different looks because every team he's been on since high school, he's been the focus of the defense.  

Last year Randle couldn't handle the looks we gave him.  Trae has been preparing for this his whole life.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, LucastheThird said:

Probably has to do with Trae's height. Teams think they should be able to crowd him and force a turnover, but "LuKa Is 6"7 aNd YoU CaN't CrOWd HiM"

No offense.   But that's B.S.   I watched Durant get Doubled this year and was flustered because it was the first time in his career that a team could sell out to double him.  

In the playoffs, don't be surprised if teams gave Luka the Trae treatment... and watch the Mavs crumble.

Kevin Durant on getting Doubled:

"It's a smart strategy. You've got to tip your hat to them, they executed it. Late in the game, they did a good job of mixing it up. Sometimes I was driving, I had a lane and am thinking there was more help and I rushed the shot. So they did their job with it, I respect it."

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Yeah... and what I watch is Luka doing that same move... It's effective but he doesn't see the traps and doubles that Trae sees. 

The double and the trap will be why Utah will be going to the second round this year.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Part of Trae's success in handling the pressure is he's used to it.  He's seen so many different looks because every team he's been on since high school, he's been the focus of the defense.  

Last year Randle couldn't handle the looks we gave him.  Trae has been preparing for this his whole life.  

Trae on pressure:

Bane GIF - Dark Knight Rises Batman Bane - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I swear this site has regressed so badly in post quality due to dap fishing and emotional babble. 

https://nbacourtoptix.nba.com/en/metrics/double-teams

How many of those league leading double teams are coming when Luka is in the paint or driving vs when he crosses midcourt or even in the backcourt like Trae?  There's an absolute difference in how teams play Trae vs how they play Luka.  

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I swear this site has regressed so badly in post quality due to dap fishing and emotional babble. 

https://nbacourtoptix.nba.com/en/metrics/double-teams

There is a difference between Luka playing against a Zone and dribbling into an area where there are two people there... and Luka being picked up at midcourt and having a team force the ball out of his hand.

I said, has a team ever sold out to double Luka...  You act as though it's every game... I would dare you to find 2 games where a team sold out to double Luka starting at Halfcourt the way that teams do Trae...

Not just him waltzing through a zone where he happens to be in between two players... that's not a sell out.   A sell out my basketball novice friend is when the team's defense plan is that we will use two players to cover him regardless of what else happens on the floor. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

Trae is doing a much, much better job of trusting his teammates. A couple of years ago when he would see that aggressive double team he would be looking to make the "assist" instead of just getting rid of the ball, and it caused a bunch of turnovers. Now he is much more willing to concede and move the ball quickly rather than wait for the "home run" pass

:good:

1 hour ago, hawkman said:

:good:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I think they're saying "doubled beyond the 3 point line"....not doubled in general.

I also hate the term double team.  We easily confuse double with help defense. They are similar but not the same. A double is committing to the player and leaving your man.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I think they're saying "doubled beyond the 3 point line"....not doubled in general.

I also hate the term double team.  We easily confuse double with help defense. They are similar but not the same. A double is committing to the player and leaving your man.

This^.  Doubled as soon as he crosses the half court line to make him give up the ball.

• Like 3