• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I just texted my guy and he said Gallinari can still be moved before the next season begins. 

@thecampster, he's confirming this. What about you?

He can be moved at any time.  How much of his salary counts for matching purposes depends on whether his contract is fully or partially guaranteed.  He doesn't get counted for the full $21M unless it is fully guaranteed.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Prince was traded for the next calendar year. Whereas Gallinari would be traded for this calendar year which you can still trade for. 

For example, the Hunter trade was for the next calendar year. If you make a trade in the current calendar year, its official right then and there.

Luke Rideour is the primary example. This was not closed. The NBA still allow this. Cleveland attempted it with J.R. Smith years back

We might (???) be talking past each other. I'm not sure.

Let's try it this way....

Is it your belief that when you trade Luke Ridnour in June 2015, his 2014-15 salary applies to the trade, or his 2015-16 salary?

That's the pivotal point since, as you say, once a team's season has ended, there is nothing to keep them from making trades.

I'm asserting Ridnour's 2015-16 salary was applicable. Do you disagree? If so, on what grounds?

15 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

From the teams mentioned in the Ayton sweepstakes, I think ATL has the most attractive offer if PHO is looking for a Center who can help them win now.

One team not mentioned though is the Jazz. I think both teams would benefit in a Gobert for Ayton swap if they can make the cap work.

They are not mentioned because Phx wouldn't want to take on Gobert's $40MM.  They would like a cheaper center, less than $30 MM per reportings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I am being told Trae which Atlanta expected to make All NBA does make a trade more difficult and likely why Ayton really is ahead of Gobert as well because of cost but the NBA rules are that any team that does a SnT, they cannot be over the LT by 6 million dollars. This also complicates a Zach LaVine trade as JC only makes 23.5 million. 

Let me address this right now before someone runs away with this on one side of the idea or another.

We are in the offseason. Any trade for Gobert will likely happen after the moratorium bringing us into the 22-23 tax year.  

If this happened during the season, the implementation of the rule is immediate and salary immediately counted.

Because it will happen in the off-season, any trade of this sort will be delayed, accelerated to fall into the time period where the team is not over the LT.  For example, Lets say post trade the Hawks would have 11 players and be 7 million over the LT (I need to check the apron level and I'm working).  The Hawks could hold the trade until they move a separate trade that drops their cap number 2 million, then execute the trade with the league.  The key here is the calculation is made when the trade is executed. Teams can order those trades with the league in any order they want in the off-season.  The can renounce rights to cap hold free agents, move things around to make the room. They can wait to resign someone if its hold/signing advantageous or they can sign them quick (say Know) to a lower salary in order to reduce the cap hold number.

Calculating the team salary/apron threshold is not the type of stuff of mortals and shouldn't be something tossed/thrown around willy nilly.

Simple answer, if the trade happened during the season, its a hard/fast rule.

If the SnT happened during the offseason but after the moratorium, its flexible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, sturt said:

I failed to add... and just adding to the the "plausible theories" list...

Isn't the most logical first-take on that... the guy settled for outside shots?

(That's not the same thing as saying he got frustrated b/c he wasn't getting calls.)

His ace move during his one good year was run into the defender and flail into a call.  Defender had to back off, in subsequent possessions, which led to a lot of wide open/low-pressure shots for him.  Profit.

Well, this year, the flail-into was a no-call.  Defenders stay in his 'space'.  Now he has to actually 'skill' his way into shots.  Lack of skill led to a lot of contested shots (lower fg%) and no bailouts (lower free throws, lower efficiency, etc.).

23 minutes ago, sturt said:

They make trades. We know that. Yes.

They just don't become official until 7/1.

We also know that. That's why their next season salary is what matters to the salary cap equation.

Again. We did this... Prince was traded weeks ahead of the draft... but recall that on draft night, NOP technically drafted Hunter, and we got him after the new season began. Everything was agreed to. It was a technicality.

And Gallo has to be moved before 6/29 if we want to move him to a team taking him for the $5m in order to shave off a few mil off their spreadsheet... ie, they can trade as much as a $8.85m player, and save $3.85m.

Not real likely, of course, b/c it's not that much of a savings.

Prince trade was because draft picks were involved which contracts are for the next league year. 

Contracts that are guaranteed can still be traded before the league year is done in the off season.

Edited by marco102

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

He can be moved at any time.  How much of his salary counts for matching purposes depends on whether his contract is fully or partially guaranteed.  He doesn't get counted for the full $21M unless it is fully guaranteed.

Here, hope this helps.  The bolded apply to Gallo.

Copy and Paste king rides again:

June 19

• Latest possible end date for NBA Finals.

June 23

• NBA draft day.

June 29

• Last day for decisions on player, team, and early termination options (certain contracts will require earlier decisions).
  • Last day for teams to make qualifying offers to players eligible for restricted free agency.

June 30

July 1

• Official start of the 2022/23 NBA league year.
  • Moratorium period begins.
  • Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet.
  • Teams can begin signing players to rookie scale contracts, minimum salary contracts, and two-way contracts.
  • Teams can begin exercising the third- or fourth-year team options for 2023/24 on rookie scale contracts.

July 6

• Moratorium period ends (11:01am CT)
  • Teams can begin officially signing players, extending players, and completing trades (11:01am CT).
  • The two-day period for matching an RFA offer sheet signed during the moratorium begins.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

No to the JC portion of this. Bogi and Lavine match up for salary purposes.  Here's a trade you can add more picks or reduce protections as needed. 

image.thumb.png.5b1393666d07a9e2b2f93b98e031fb6b.png

image.thumb.png.9ec68de20d6dda9c0cfa886410b065de.png

I dunno wainwright got a mouth 👄 on him for his talent level. NO GO! :sarcastic: 

Just now, Spud2nique said:

I dunno wainwright got a mouth 👄 on him for his talent level. NO GO! :sarcastic: 

he's just salary filler at a minimum. You don't have to fully guarentee his three year's, but you have to give him a three year contract.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I just texted my guy and he said Gallinari can still be moved before the next season begins. 

@thecampster, he's confirming this. What about you?

He texted me this: For teams that do not make the playoffs, they can start making trades again on the day after their last regular season game. Playoff teams can start making trades once they're eliminated from the playoffs.

He said Gallo has to be moved before June 29th or his deal is fully guaranteed 

If moved before or after the 29th, his deal is also guaranteed for the team he's traded to.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, thecampster said:

I can say with 99% assurity that Randle would waive his trade kicker to be traded to a contender with a starting spot.

Right. But. That's not us. At least not unless you know something none of us do about JC's status as our starting PF. (???)

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Waste of time

Only to those who don't care about it.  For those of us who enjoy it it's a perfectly good use of time.  Were not all the same my friend some of us like doing certain things others don't.  You replying to a post you don't agree with could be considered a waste of time as well but you enjoy doing it so it was worth it to you 🙂