• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

In my opinion this is a very interesting deal! It’s a high risk high reward for us but if the Hawks really like Ivey and did their research I wouldn’t mind it. 

At least then we’d have a potential star backcourt. Many say that Ivey reminds them of Westbrook with a jumpshot. To me he’s more like a taller version of Ja Morant. Crazy athletic ability. The kid can fly! I think scoring will not be an issue especially if he’s coming in to play beside Trae. I would label him a scorer more so than a jump shooter. His jumper is avg while his scoring ability is next level. Ok defender with good potential to be a very good two way player.

I definitely been doing my research on Ivey since @NBASupes mentioned the FO really likes him.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JTB said:

In my opinion this is a very interesting deal! It’s a high risk high reward for us but if the Hawks really like Ivey and did their research I wouldn’t mind it. 

At least then we’d have a potential star backcourt. Many say that Ivey reminds them of Westbrook with a jumpshot. To me he’s more like a taller version of Ja Morant. Crazy athletic ability. The kid can fly! I think scoring will not be an issue especially if he’s coming in to play beside Trae. I would label him a scorer more so than a jump shooter. His jumper is avg while his scoring ability is next level. Ok defender with good potential to be a very good two way player.

I definitely been doing my research on Ivey since @NBASupes mentioned the FO really likes him.

Maybe we should start a separate trade John Collins thread

23 minutes ago, JTB said:

Why. Waste of time we ain’t going back into the lottery.

23 minutes ago, JTB said:

In my opinion this is a very interesting deal!

Ya I posted it last week it was from BR Jake Fischer. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JTB said:

That trade is not ideal.  Ivey could be a bust and I'm not down for these  PF guard trade ideas. 

We might eventually get a stronger back court, but teams will probably kill us on the boards again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JTB said:

I would love this trade. Ivey is the only player I’m interested in in this year’s draft. He’ll be a younger, more healthy Oladipo. Adding Barnes to the mix would be a great bonus.  
That all being said, I don’t think this would ever happen. I would honestly expect another pick or two from Atlanta would need to be added, at least heavily protected 1rp and/or 2rp picks. 

• Premium Member

Rumors/Updates on players mentioned on here as targets:

Stein adds that Jalen Brunson is expected to receive a contract that meets or exceeds Fred VanVleet's four year, $85 million deal with the Raptors.  

Bobby Portis can become a free agent this offseason if he declines his $4.6 million player option for 22-23 with the Milwaukee Bucks.

The expectation amongst rival teams is that Portis will re-sign with the Bucks on a multi-year deal.

Portis re-signed with the Bucks last offseason on a two-year, $9 million deal.

MARC STEIN/SUBSTACK

While speaking on ESPN's The Hoop Collective, the topic turned to Zach LaVine's free agency. Brian Windhorst said he thinks LaVine will re-sign with the Chicago Bulls.

"I don't think Zach LaVine wants to leave. That's not my read."

LaVine recently said he plans to explore free agency. The last time LaVine was a free agent in 2018, he was a restricted free agent. He signed an offer sheet with the Sacramento Kings, but the Bulls matched it. LaVine eventually became an All-Star in Chicago.

This time around, LaVine is an unrestricted free agent, and it seems as if he intends to actually see what is out there. LaVine is arguably the top available free agents with players like Bradley Beal, James Harden and Kyrie Irving considered virtual locks to re-sign with their current teams.

BRIAN WINDHORST/ESPN

Lonzo Ball's left knee is "still not right," according to Darnell Mayberry of The Athletic.

Ball had arthroscopic surgery on his knee in January. The Bulls attempted to ramp up his activity in March before shutting him down for the season in April.

There is also concern as to whether Ball will be ready by opening night of next season.

Currently, there are no plans for Ball to undergo a second knee surgery. 

DARNELL MAYBERRY/THE ATHLETIC

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
On 6/3/2022 at 6:50 PM, Spud2nique said:

Dang that’s a lot of moves.. it’s spinning me round n round.

Trae

Hart

Hunter

Ben

Ayton

That’s a huge RESET. 3 new starters? 

I don't see the Hawks doing these drastic makeover rosters.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, sturt said:

Micic conceivably replaces BogBog's production, and is a genuine combo guard, not just in theory... he's been the lead PG when on the floor in Europe. And he's almost certainly no better than BogBog on defense, however he's got enough of a combination of craftiness/IQ and quickness to have been a leader in steals.

If you acquire Micic, I'm content with keeping the two Serbian brothers, but also could be tempted to deal BogBog if the right suitor came to the table. A conversation with TOR--which had expressed some interest in him in February per reports-- regarding a OG Anunoby deal would be pretty compelling.

If you replace on our Real Hawks roster

Gallo and BogBog

with

Micic, Isaiah Roby and Lu Dort, plus OG...

That's a damn fine roster, once you bring back Delon.... decidedly better defensively, and capable of exceeding .621.

What's the trade details for OG? Who's/What's in that trade?

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Diesel said:

OK..

Here's the Latest...   From a reliable source.... Look for it on draft night.

Bogi to Detroit. 

Jerami Grant to PTL.

Bledsoe and #7 to us.

Here's my thoughts:

If Bogi can get us Grant, why did we not do this at the deadline?

If Bogi can get us Grant..... well, I know that there's a second deal coming.. so I just have to sit patient.

Well, there you have it. 

Why would Detroit not take #7 instead of Bogi?.....gotta be realistic Dies.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The ONLY reason why OKC would even consider giving up SGA, is if they think by handing the reigns of the offense completely to Josh Giddey ( aka - Great Value Luka ), would be better for their team overall, than having both SGA and Giddey in the lineup.

You COULD make a case that if Giddey ran the team, and he was surrounded by shooters and possibly an athletic big, that OKC might be better off going that route, than trying to play SGA and Giddey together, seeing that Giddey can't shoot, and kind of needs the ball in his hands to maximize his effectiveness.

Agree with this in terms of OKC having Giddy run point. This from earlier in the season:

Thunder head coach Mark Daigneault started things by confirming Shai Gilgeous-Alexander will play more off-ball the rest of the season with Josh Giddey on the floor. During Gilgeous-Alexander’s 10-game absence, Giddey played his best stretch of basketball; he averaged 16.2 points, 7.5 assists and nine rebounds.

“I’m not gonna guarantee a number of possessions, but, yeah, (Giddey’s) gonna (play more on-ball with SGA),” said Daigneault. “He’s a really good player, and to be a great team, you have to have multiple really good players working together.”

Following Daigneault, Giddey was asked about the on/off-ball plan with Gilgeous-Alexander moving forward and hesaid it is a collaborative effort between the two of them and Daigneault.

• Like 2

No way the Celtics are that much better than the Hawks TALENT wise.  Its coaching, defense, and not letting one player dominate the offense.  Its a complete cohesive unit that swarms on defense AND offense.  Its that simple.  It doesn't matter who the Hawks draft, trade for or sign as a free agent if the first three points are not addressed.  This could've been said 142 pages ago.  The first point is the first problem.  Address the coaching.  What is mostly likely gonna happen is the perfect candidate for the gig, Quinn Synder (who I have been harping for) is gonna replace the Spurs head coach after next season.

Synder has been linked to the Spurs as far back as March as this article explains.  I could care less about his differences with the Jazz front office and how that team is being built.  It works in the Hawks favor. The Pops/Bud system is perfect for how the Hawks are constructed. Synder also isn't afraid to get on his superstar out in Utah.  He has the personality and coaching chops to get this Hawks team where it needs to be.  The Hawks GM should persuade him to not hold out for the Spurs job and come to the Hawks.  They can do that or keep the guy who keeps his arms folded in front of him trying to look tough and don't know what the heck is he doing.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10029741-nba-rumors-jazzs-quin-snyder-seen-as-possible-gregg-popovich-replacement-with-spurs

Utah Jazz head coach Quin Snyder is viewed as a potential candidate to eventually replace Gregg Popovich as head coach of the San Antonio Spurs, according to NBA insider Marc Stein (h/t Sam Quinn of CBS Sports). 

How 'Bout This Jazz' podcast: Was Quin Snyder's pregame monologue  confirmation of the Utah Jazz's drama this season?

Quin Snyder named Utah Jazz head coach | Shaw Sports

Hawks Assistant Quin Snyder Hired as Utah Jazz Head Coach

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What's the trade details for OG? Who's/What's in that trade?

A day later and having investigated further, I'm discouraged that that's a legitimate pursuit after all.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JTB said:

Yeah a guy like Banchero may end up being as good as Collins in a few years.  Shessh, I hate empty box season. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

A couple or three things get very lost in our equations, seems to me.

First, how do you value Jalen Johnson? Is he for real? When you read his G-League coach commenting that he reminds him in terms of skill set and size of LeBron... is that just hype, or do you really see that yourself (... the precise question being "do you see the same skill set"... not if you think he's actually going to become the next LeBron).

He's a valuable trade piece theoretically, if you ascend to the idea that SGA is a legit pursuit.

And then again, he's a valuable asset to have right now for ATL, if you ascend to the idea that he is ready to contribute in the rotation.

Same thought, put another way... just how comfortable are you with penciling JJ into a 22-23 rotation role, and assuming the best/

Second, same idea, different player... should we be more open-minded to trading Big2O? Is he for real? Because he also could be a valuable trade piece, making about the same money as JJ, and with a similar projected upside.

Third, same idea, different player... should we presume Dre is as good as he's ever going to be?... and if so, should we be more open-minded to trading him?

Any or all of those three could be tremendously important pieces to a major trade. Then again, do we move one, only to find that they validated their draft scouting reports after all?

If I were going to part with any of the three, it would be JJ. He's not yet been folded into the cake batter, so there's no chemistry/familiarity naturally lost by dealing him.

But then I pause and remind myself that all of the good things he's done in a Hawks or Skyhawks game, he's done having only played 9 games as a HS senior, and only 13 more as a college freshman. I mean, that's slap-yo-mama compelling.