• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

48 minutes ago, Diesel said:

It's interesting.. I don't see it.. the need for Ayton.. He's not a defensive help guy.  CC is.  I guess we will see. 

You make the move for Ayton mainly because Capela has had injury problems that have limited his impact and Ayton is a better offensive player that allows you to do more things on that end. If Capela was 100% healthy next season I wouldn't be interested in moving him at all, but I don't think that's realistic. The same logic could be applied to Collins, but I don't think you can upgrade from him based on all the moves that have been proposed.

If we want to see improvement defensively, like @sturt has suggested, we should try to work out a deal with OKC to get Lu Dort. Or go back in time get Reddish to play with some consistency.

15 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

You make the move for Ayton mainly because Capela has had injury problems that have limited his impact and Ayton is a better offensive player that allows you to do more things on that end. If Capela was 100% healthy next season I wouldn't be interested in moving him at all, but I don't think that's realistic. The same logic could be applied to Collins, but I don't think you can upgrade from him based on all the moves that have been proposed.

If we want to see improvement defensively, like @sturt has suggested, we should try to work out a deal with OKC to get Lu Dort. Or go back in time get Reddish to play with some consistency.

Capela took longer to get his injury together but by JAN, he was back and the Hawks were winning and he was our best impact player again. Capela was really healthy from JAN on till the Cleveland game in the play-in. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Capela took longer to get his injury together but by JAN, he was back and the Hawks were winning and he was our best impact player again. Capela was really healthy from JAN on till the Cleveland game in the play-in. 

And the the play-in injury wasn't Capela's fault, but we have gone into these past two playiffs with him dealing with injuries. The Rockets moved him for similar reasons. Trading him is no guarantee Ayton will be healthier, but I've seen enough. I respect what he's done for this team and and 100% healthy he's a tremendous player. But I'm not confident we'll see that next postseason if he stays.

6 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

And the the play-in injury wasn't Capela's fault, but we have gone into these past two playiffs with him dealing with injuries. The Rockets moved him for similar reasons. Trading him is no guarantee Ayton will be healthier, but I've seen enough. I respect what he's done for this team and and 100% healthy he's a tremendous player. But I'm not confident we'll see that next postseason if he stays.

The Rockets moved him because Westbrook couldn't play with Capela and RoCo was available. It didn't help Capela was out for the rest of that year. If you remember, he was going to be out even during the bubble if Atlanta made it in. That injury was far more serious and he came the next year and posted a 10.6 WAR. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The Rockets moved him because Westbrook couldn't play with Capela and RoCo was available. It didn't help Capela was out for the rest of that year. If you remember, he was going to be out even during the bubble if Atlanta made it in. That injury was far more serious and he came the next year and posted a 10.6 WAR. 

But I'm not arguing that he's never gonna be healthy at all. I'm concerned about us going into the playoffs with injuries. Obviously you can't control everything and Capela is not the only player on the team who's played hurt. But I do think Capela's issues are concerning enough that if we can get a similar or better quality player for reasonable cost we should do it. If Bogi, Hunter or Collins could be swapped for healthier players of similar or better quality I'd be for it. But those players aren't available.

Hmm 🤔 

The Hawks, meanwhile, could gain some financial flexibility depending on what they'd receive in return.

Collins is owed $75.4 million guaranteed over the next three years and has a $26.6 million player option for 2025-26.

Atlanta has Danilo Gallinari (unrestricted) and De'Andre Hunter (restricted) hitting free agency in 2023. Bogdan Bogdanovic will be on the market at the same time if he declines his $18 million player option for 2023-24. Then it will be time to potentially give Onyeka Okongwu a new deal in 2024 upon the expiration of his rookie contract.

The cost of keeping this roster together will be high on its own before factoring in any outside additions.

The above is if we move JC for a lotto pick, then acquire a star (disgruntled) down the road?…

If the Hawks fail to get a player of equal value to Collins, then Schlenk could at least open enough salary cap space to pursue a star through free agency or a trade down the line. That would presumably be the aim if Atlanta wants to use Collins to move up in the draft.

I hope we said no if this is true. I'm not a fan of Gobert. He would be a problem during playoff time because teams would go small and force us to not play him and his contract is an albatross. I would pass on Gobert.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

1.      They only want to trade for 2022-23 salary cap year. 

2.      Atlanta wants to save money (TPE). Meaning any trade for JC, will mean Atlanta wants to save a lot of money. They want the high lottery pick, a player that’s not like that important but is on a cheap good contract, and they want to trade with teams who have a lot of cap space in 22-23.  

10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If this trade happens in a vacuum for just the pick this screams Luxury Tax avoidance at all cost.  Will be looking at TR like

Screenshot_20220613-202000_Samsung Internet.jpg

Worth Repeating^^^

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

The above is if we move JC for a lotto pick, then acquire a star (disgruntled) down the road?…

How far down the road? Seems more like circling the wagon and avoiding the tax.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

But I'm not arguing that he's never gonna be healthy at all. I'm concerned about us going into the playoffs with injuries. Obviously you can't control everything and Capela is not the only player on the team who's played hurt. But I do think Capela's issues are concerning enough that if we can get a similar or better quality player for reasonable cost we should do it. If Bogi, Hunter or Collins could be swapped for healthier players of similar or better quality I'd be for it. But those players aren't available.

I just think what you saying is over the top. Capela been fairly healthy since he's been playing in Atlanta and he plays with injuries well compared to others on our squad outside of Trae 

16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How far down the road? Seems more like circling the wagon and avoiding the tax.

It has nothing to do with avoiding the tax is what I was told. Atlanta is willing to pay the tax. This is all about putting a championship core around Trae that fits Trae, especially on defense. That's why Okongwu and Hunter been off limits even if those two haven't been the beacon of offensive success for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Are we willing to pay a tax? Sure!  But how much we are willing to be taxed and in future years is the mystery.

I take people at face value until proven otherwise. Ressler's extended answer to that question last off-season is something we chewed on here in this room quite a bit. He drew the picture that once the team is established as a contender, then he can stomach going into the tax, but even then, only to keep core players. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Translation, given our present status: He wouldn't be okay with going into the tax just yet.

• Like 1