• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

1 minute ago, thecampster said:

And you wonder why I was saying I wanted to go low profile until June 15th or later.  The weeds get deep this far off the reservation.

Yeah, I go low profile sometimes too.  If by "low profile" you mean "using my burner to go at fools that be testin' me" then, yes I go low profile too.  wink, wink

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Or if you want someone else's gigantic contract that they don't want (a Westbrook/Wall type of a contract) you could move Gallo + 1 higher priced player for matching and get back that gigantic contract + a draft pick. But that's it. That's what you can reasonably do with Gallo. It has to be either someone some team needs to get rid of on a longer term that's willing to give us a high pick to take or the 4 for 1 swap that lets us fill out roster slots on the cheap.

I mean that's not the only case. Right?  OKC may not be at the minimum floor for salary cap and can take Gallo in without sending out additional salary right? 

Not saying this is realistic, but OKC, Portland, SA, Detroit have enough salary space to take Gallo's entire salary for draft compensation without the Hawks taking back salary or am I missing something? 

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This was the best I could come up with and I tried a lot of different types of deals.

Replace Micic with Waters. Micic rights are the most important as he will be our BU PG.

Cut Maledon for Cooper

Maledon cut 

Cut Moose and sign Micic to a 4/16 million deal.

New Look Hawks

Trae/Micic/Cooper

Kevin/THJ/Wiggins

Hunter/Williams

Grant/Saric/JJ

Ayton/Okongwu

Plus Sign 44th overall to a min deal. 

Two way Brown and a rook. Mays would cost too much. 

I would consider cutting Wiggins. 

fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_6-7-2022_9-54-09AM.png

ok so let's see:

Clint to Dallas for THJr and a 2nd rounder - WOW!!! Way to devalue Clint.

Bogi and #16 to Detroit for Grant (I've already stated my reasons for disliking)

Gallo and 2nds to OKC for Williams, Maledon, Wiggins, Waters, Muscala

Collins and 2023 1st to Suns for Ayton and Saric

Yeah, No - not happening!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This was my 4 for 1 Gallo plus #16 trade idea a week and half ago:

Any Favors deal kills our possiblity of a Ayton deal and a possibility of building a roster to 14th players. He's a bad contract as well. OKC will have to pay an asset to us to take on his deal. 

We can't do no deal for deal for Gallo. We need the other team to take on at least 10 million dollars and we can't take real contracts either for flexibility reasons. 

When you do an Ayton deal regardless if its JC or Capela, you take on 15 million dollars. Gallo trade has to make up the difference. Even cutting him solves nothing and just forces us to find a team that will eat Bogi contract and that's not ideal. 

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

ok so let's see:

Bogi and #16 to Detroit for Grant (I've already stated my reasons for disliking)

I just looked for the most realistic deals for Clint. I didn't really care where he went when doing this. This was all about the top value.

3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I mean that's not the only case. Right?  OKC may not be at the minimum floor for salary cap and can take Gallo in without sending out additional salary right? 

Not saying this is realistic, but OKC, Portland, SA, Detroit have enough salary space to take Gallo's entire salary for draft compensation without the Hawks taking back salary or am I missing something? 

You are missing that Gallo is about a $9 mil/year player at this point in his career. Nobody is just going to spend their $20 million cap space on Gallo and walk away yelling woo hoo!!! We got the Italian!

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

ok so let's see:

Waters is a placeholder for Micic rights. The real value of the trade. Maledon, Wiggins and Moose all have non guaranteed contracts. They are just fillers. Williams does too but he's no filler. 

You know I dislike Grant and dont want to do the deal. If they make a move for him, this would be the only deal I'll consider.

Collins and CHA 1st should beat out any offer for Ayton. I keep saying this and you refuse to listen but we gotta beat out other teams if we want to land him. 

Ideally, I would rather keep Bogi which means we save 2 mil and use that to sign Micic and we can still keep Moose which solves a lot. 

You know I dont give a damn about Grant but the Hawks do so this was my attempt to predict the trades.

If you trade Clint, guys like Joe Harris, Bouknight/Oubre, and THJ. I would like a KCP/Deni Advija deal but that's not happening. Maybe KCP and Kispert at best. Maybe we can help them facilitate a deal for Conley.

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Any Favors deal kills our possiblity of a Ayton deal and a possibility of building a roster to 14th players.,,,

No it doesn't.  It's easier to move a $10 mil expiring for a 2nd rounder to a capspace team. Moose has a team option that can be released.

9 minutes ago, thecampster said:

You are missing that Gallo is about a $9 mil/year player at this point in his career. Nobody is just going to spend their $20 million cap space on Gallo and walk away yelling woo hoo!!! We got the Italian!

Right which is why I added draft compensation to take him.  I was just making sure it could be done based on my understanding.  Didn't say it was likely. 

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No it doesn't.  It's easier to move a $10 mil expiring for a 2nd rounder to a capspace team. Moose has a team option that can be released.

No it's not. It's hard as hell to move a scrub that's overpaid. 

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, thecampster said:

And you wonder why I was saying I wanted to go low profile until June 15th or later.  The weeds get deep this far off the reservation.

I see why you have a June 15th date....The trade machine makes people go nutty with crazy ideas. Just because it works in the trade machine does not mean it something the Hawks should do, lol.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Maybe I am missing the point, but any team that trades for him can decline his FG option and when the trade is official, only owe him 5 million dollars. 

That's why the OKC deal works out so well. It only cost them five million when its officially done. Every article I've read states that any team with him has till June 28 to decline his FG contract. Correct me if I am wrong 

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Maybe I am missing the point, but any team that trades for him can decline his FG option and when the trade is official, only owe him 5 million dollars. 

That's why the OKC deal works out so well. It only cost them five million when its officially done. Every article I've read states that any team with him has till June 28 to decline his FG contract. Correct me if I am wrong 

Trading him now fully guarantees his salary. Only we can cash in the $5 mil waive clause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I think your scenario depends on the timing of the trade.   @JayBirdHawk I know you already discussed this, but is that correct?

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The NBA has closed that loophole - we can only trade him for the guaranteed portion of his contract $5 million plus the escalators so about $8 million dollars OR we guarantee his $21 million and use that amount in trades.  Only the Hawks can cut him for $5 million, any team he is traded to does not get to take advantage of his $5 mil.

Here is a little nugget I just learned, the Hawks can actually increase his guarantee to make a trade work under the salary cap.

Under the NBA’s previous Collective Bargaining Agreement, a player with a $10M guaranteed salary and a player with a $10M non-guaranteed salary were essentially treated the same way in trades for salary-matching purposes. However, that’s no longer the case under the league’s current CBA.

We’ve written about this in the past, but it’s a point worth reiterating with the 2022 offseason around the corner. A player’s outgoing salary for matching purposes is now only equivalent to his salary guarantee. So a player with a $5M partial guarantee on a $10M contract counts for $5M in outgoing salary. A player with a non-guaranteed $10M contract counts as $0 in outgoing salary.

For the team receiving the player, however, the full cap hit still applies. So even though a player on a $10M non-guaranteed contract would count as $0 for outgoing purposes, he’d be considered $10M in incoming salary to the team acquiring him.

Since over-the-cap teams must match salaries in trades within a certain percentage, this rule is worth keeping in mind when considering a handful of possible trade candidates this summer.

For example, the Hawks have Danilo Gallinari under contract for $21.45M in 2022-23, but only $5M of that amount is guaranteed. As a result, Atlanta wouldn’t be able to use Gallinari as the primary salary-matching piece in a deal for, say, Jerami Grant and his $20M+ salary this offseason unless they significantly increased Gallinari’s partial guarantee (to $15M+).

As it stands, Gallinari’s $5M partial guarantee would be enough to net the Hawks a player earning up to $8.85M. However, since Gallinari’s incoming salary to a new team would count as $21.45M, that team wouldn’t be permitted to trade only an $8.85M player for Gallinari unless it had the cap room necessary to accommodate the forward’s full $21.45M cap hit.

For an over-the-cap team, acquiring Gallinari would mean sending at least $16.45M in outgoing salary, which the Hawks wouldn’t be able to accommodate using only Gallinari’s $5M partial guarantee.

This rule affecting non-guaranteed contracts applies even if the Hawks were to trade Gallinari before the 2022-23 league year begins on July 1. Once Atlanta’s season ended, Gallinari’s ’22-23 partial guarantee replaced his ’21-22 salary as his new outgoing salary for matching purposes. So the Hawks can’t circumvent the rule by moving Gallinari during or before the draft.

• Like 2