• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/06/why-non-guaranteed-contracts-arent-ideal-trade-chips.html

This article does a terrible job of explaining it but is much more vested than I am at this moment in revisiting this point (previously beaten into the ground).

IE, trade for $17 million in salary for $5 mil doesn't work for salary matching (except with cap negative teams this year) but if they waive him, the $17 mil becomes the guaranteed number. IE, if they then waive Gallo, they are waiving and absorbing what they sent out to us in trade.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Maybe I am missing the point, but any team that trades for him can decline his FG option and when the trade is official, only owe him 5 million dollars. 

That's why the OKC deal works out so well. It only cost them five million when its officially done. Every article I've read states that any team with him has till June 28 to decline his FG contract. Correct me if I am wrong 

Again, don't beat yourself up over this nuance. I often discuss things thinking everyone knows what's going on in my head and leave out valuable info or well...forget myself.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The NBA has closed that loophole - we can only trade him for the guaranteed portion of his contract $5 million plus the escalators so about $8 million dollars OR we guarantee his $21 million and use that amount in trades.  Only the Hawks can cut him for $5 million, any team he is traded to does not get to take advantage of his $5 mil.

Here is a little nugget I just learned, the Hawks can actually increase his guarantee to make a trade work under the salary cap.

Under the NBA’s previous Collective Bargaining Agreement, a player with a $10M guaranteed salary and a player with a $10M non-guaranteed salary were essentially treated the same way in trades for salary-matching purposes. However, that’s no longer the case under the league’s current CBA.

We’ve written about this in the past, but it’s a point worth reiterating with the 2022 offseason around the corner. A player’s outgoing salary for matching purposes is now only equivalent to his salary guarantee. So a player with a $5M partial guarantee on a $10M contract counts for $5M in outgoing salary. A player with a non-guaranteed $10M contract counts as $0 in outgoing salary.

For the team receiving the player, however, the full cap hit still applies. So even though a player on a $10M non-guaranteed contract would count as $0 for outgoing purposes, he’d be considered $10M in incoming salary to the team acquiring him.

Since over-the-cap teams must match salaries in trades within a certain percentage, this rule is worth keeping in mind when considering a handful of possible trade candidates this summer.

For example, the Hawks have Danilo Gallinari under contract for $21.45M in 2022-23, but only $5M of that amount is guaranteed. As a result, Atlanta wouldn’t be able to use Gallinari as the primary salary-matching piece in a deal for, say, Jerami Grant and his $20M+ salary this offseason unless they significantly increased Gallinari’s partial guarantee (to $15M+).

As it stands, Gallinari’s $5M partial guarantee would be enough to net the Hawks a player earning up to $8.85M. However, since Gallinari’s incoming salary to a new team would count as $21.45M, that team wouldn’t be permitted to trade only an $8.85M player for Gallinari unless it had the cap room necessary to accommodate the forward’s full $21.45M cap hit.

For an over-the-cap team, acquiring Gallinari would mean sending at least $16.45M in outgoing salary, which the Hawks wouldn’t be able to accommodate using only Gallinari’s $5M partial guarantee.

This rule affecting non-guaranteed contracts applies even if the Hawks were to trade Gallinari before the 2022-23 league year begins on July 1. Once Atlanta’s season ended, Gallinari’s ’22-23 partial guarantee replaced his ’21-22 salary as his new outgoing salary for matching purposes. So the Hawks can’t circumvent the rule by moving Gallinari during or before the draft.

Easy peasy, Waters is a placeholder for Micic. Replace Williams with Maledon

fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_6-7-2022_11-06-17AM.png

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Easy peasy, Waters is a placeholder for Micic.

I still don't understand trading Capela for THjr  and a 2nd from a straight value perspective. 

I get that Capela has to be moved if we are bringing in Ayton but this is what you assign his value???

Explain it to me please.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I still don't understand trading Capela for THjr  and a 2nd from a straight value perspective. 

I get that Capela has to be moved if we are bringing in Ayton but this is what you assign his value???

Explain it to me please.

It dont matter. It's just a Capela trade. Atlanta will due diligence, I didn't because I cared more about the Ayton piece and Gallinari to OKC. It's not like, this is the best we can do. I just posted a trade of a team that had a massive need for Clint and we need a 2. I didn't think hard about it. I dont even care. Atlanta gonna do what they want to do. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

I nominate JayBirdHawk to distill all the trades posted on the Hawksquawk in the last two weeks down to four of them.  Then email them to Travis for $40 and a lifetime membership to the Squawk seniors forum.

I did one I think Jay will like

While I dont think its realistic, it's my ideal

We trade no assets, unrealistic for OKC deal. 

The most ideal trade for Capela, not sure it will happen. 

Got the Wizards Conley too.

fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_6-7-2022_11-33-50AM.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Supes.  Ain't nothing realistic about that many players moving in a trade to one team.  That probably would be an NBA record.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

This was the best I could come up with and I tried a lot of different types of deals.

Replace Micic with Waters. Micic rights are the most important as he will be our BU PG.

Cut Maledon for Cooper

Maledon cut 

Cut Moose and sign Micic to a 4/16 million deal.

New Look Hawks

Trae/Micic/Cooper

Kevin/THJ/Wiggins

Hunter/Williams

Grant/Saric/JJ

Ayton/Okongwu

Plus Sign 44th overall to a min deal. 

Two way Brown and a rook. Mays would cost too much. 

I would consider cutting Wiggins. 

fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_6-7-2022_9-54-09AM.png

Easy Peasy 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Supes.  Ain't nothing realistic about that many players moving in a trade to one team.  That probably would be an NBA record.

You must have not seen Morey deals with HOU, especially the CP3. This really ain't nothing but a bunch of deals. This in 

Trade 1: During the draft: 

Gallo for Micic, Williams, and fillers. 

It is it's own deal. 

Trade 2: During FA: Ayton and Saric to Atlanta for JC. 

In order for this deal to go through, it must be linked to trade 1. Atlanta can easily do that. They did it for the NO/ATL deal and teams do it all of the time. 

Trade 3: After the Ayton deal: Capela for KCP and Deni Avdija. 

Trade 4: Conley for Kuzma and Ish Smith. Hawks sent Vit from OKC to Utah. 

These are four separate trades. I combined them for reading proposes but trade 3 and 4 can be it's own separate thread. 1 and 2 have to be combined of Atlanta can't do it.

Edited by NBASupes

51 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Easy peasy, Waters is a placeholder for Micic. Replace Williams with Maledon

OMG! I’m just now seeing this after I just quoted an earlier Supes post saying Easy Peasy. 
well then, I’m glad we’re in agreement!

😂✌️❤️

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I don't even think there's enough homes on the Atlanta real estate market to accommodate all these incoming players. Trae just gonna give out all his guest bedrooms?

• Haha 3

I pretty much figured it out. 

We have to trade Gallinari and 44th overall to a team with cap space. 44th overall is for a team that's willing to take on 5 mil of Gallinari salary. 

We use that deal as the bases to any deal. 

We can go after OKC pieces like Micic or others. 

For Ayton. That's really easy once a team takes on Gallinari contract. 

Because of BYC, Torrey Craig has to be added to the deal but Craig can be moved to a team like OKC for NG fillers and a 2nd rounder to take on Craig contract. 

Obviously a Bogi deal would help us too but Gallinari already has clear incentives of 5 mil. Bogi has a trade kicker. 

I would prefer to trade Capela over JC and its not even close but if it takes JC, we can do this deal as well. 

This is probably the most feasible deal for Ayton we can do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Not gonna lie. I do like it, but no idea why waters is included. 

Waters is Micic rights. I cannot add Micic as he's not listed. If he was, it will say Micic and not Waters.