• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's this crap about Trae not being in the huddle for the last play and OO not knowing the play?

Wurider05

If u watched the game trea wasn't in the huddle really when Nate was explaining it he was just looking around on the outer edge in a seat , then traes dad posted that then deleted it I believe. The reason I say this is because for some reason when I was seeing this happen I immediately went to trades dads Twitter cuz I figure he was already getting hit on sm for this series and he posted that I tried to go back and show someone later and it was gone 

1 hour ago, hylndr11 said:

If u watched the game trea wasn't in the huddle really when Nate was explaining it he was just looking around on the outer edge in a seat , then traes dad posted that then deleted it I believe. The reason I say this is because for some reason when I was seeing this happen I immediately went to trades dads Twitter cuz I figure he was already getting hit on sm for this series and he posted that I tried to go back and show someone later and it was gone 

I've noticed it several times earlier this year.   Trae has already tuned McMillan out.  He's always looking around or staring into space whenever Nate speaks.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Why OO was even in for this play is highly questionable.  We are down by 3 points with time running out.  OO is not a 3 point shooter.  He seldom makes shots more than 10 feet from the basket.  There was no reason for him to be in the game at that point.

Very good point!!!

• Like 4

All i know is Trae did not want that ball at the end.  He was shaking in his boots.  He seemed to get out of his funk at the end of game 3, then got right back into it in game 4.  Where were his normal highlight passes and finding the open man?  Trae generally wows with a few unreal passes per game, and his passes are usually right on point and hit folks in the chest.  In this series he was throwing passes over ppls head, missing right and left, getting things deflected, and bricking everything.  He lost his handle a lot more than usual even when the D didn't swipe it.  He wasn't able to sell the defense with the no looks like he normally does.  Miami was in his head bad.  They are a great defense and they really played him hard early in the series, and he became hesitant afterwards.  He just wasn't attacking like he normally does.  Granted, Collins looked like he was playing at 30%, Capela barely played, and Bogi was also hobbled so he didn't have his usual lob threats.

All that being said, it's a learning experience.  From a long term standpoint he will probably look back on this as a building block.  I have ZERO doubts Trae will work hard and come back stronger from this and this will be a huge learning experience.  I believe he is a superstar and will prove it to everyone, he is only 23 and we know how ridiculously good he is.  Sentiment around the league for players changes so quickly.  If he has a great season next year this will all go away.  But he does need some help, just like all the other stars do.  

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Melvin Hunt is missed on this coaching staff. He was the offensive guru for LP and we still use some of his sets and plays but we miss him on that bench. No way we have such a bad play if he was on the bench.

I never thought much of him, those Denver teams he coached were disgusting and he seemed too light-hearted on the sidelines.  But the replacements on this staff make him look like Assistant Bud.  Every time I see Prunty I’m like dude go do somebody’s taxes.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Melvin Hunt is missed on this coaching staff. He was the offensive guru for LP and we still use some of his sets and plays but we miss him on that bench. No way we have such a bad play if he was on the bench.

Not sure if Larry Drew is doing anything but he was fantastic at organizing dead ball plays.  I've never understood why any coach would struggle with this area.  It is great if you can be creative and come up with new plays but that is not necessary.  There are tons of good dead ball plays to steal from other coaches and teams.  Take one, practice it, and come up with a couple variations on it and you should be at least competent.  Add more "sets" of plays to the toolkit over the season.  These plays happen every game so this should not be something practiced and forgotten.  Very frustrating.

• Like 4

People with gray hair shouldn’t be on Twitter man.  Apologizing and deleting and trolling and screenshotting and what not, no shame.  Ray Young and Rich Paul gonna make Schlenk’s job much harder than it has to be.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

Did any of you read about this? I saw a snippet on the Athletic. I saw the post the Trae's dad posted about someone not knowing the play and going in blind. 

GxW1oXQ.jpg

Why would Ray even post this?  He doesn't do anything but stan for his son which is understandable but why post this? Is it supposed to be ironic or openly disrespectful to Nate or what?

7 hours ago, thecampster said:

It was one of their standard out of bounds sets. Nate announced it to them as they huddled. Trae knew what he was supposed to do just from the name on the play. He got it, sat down. Gallo stepped in front of him and blocked Trae from the huddle. But Trae knew the play.

OO did not know what he was supposed to do and was mostly stagnant. Trae started to run to his separation spot (through the place OO stepped in to). Trae ran into OO's back killing option 1. So it went to option 2, Gallo in the corner who was immediately swallowed up.

Trae knew the play, OO did not because he's almost never in late in games. It was a synopsis of the whole series in one play.

The injury to Bogi, CC and Collins blew up any chance we had in this series. Through all 5 games, personnel units not used to playing with each other on the floor were in together a lot. With reduced minutes for each of the above, groupings not used to playing together were evident.

There was a play in game 3 where Huerter drove a curl into the middle of the lane and kicked to Collins for a wide open 3. It looked like the Hawks all season one possessions Trae took a breather. That's the Hawks with consistent personnel.  Game 4, Trae called for high screen and roll with OO.  OO came up to set the pick. Huerter floated to the right corner which is natural in this set. Wright came baseline and ran to the same spot as he expects Bogi to be chasing him to the left corner (he was not in).  In this set, Trae took the pick and drove right. OO bounced off the pick to his left, Trae's right. Both kept moving at Huerter with Wright ending up right behind OO. All 4 players (and their defenders) ended up with 5 feet of each other bunched in the right corner. Gallo (the 5th on this play), didn't roll behind it but floated to the left 3/4 circle, completely out of the play, out of line of sight and impossible to get the pass. This allowed all Miami defenders to occupy the space between the elbow, the baseline under the basket and the right corner.  All from personnel group mismatching and a complete misunderstanding offensively on how to beat the 2-3 zone.

Hmmmmm .... should I go with this well-reasoned, knowledgeable analysis or .. twitter twits?

Man .....

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47wdjh1kc3sz0mgwdbfq

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, benhillboy said:

People with gray hair shouldn’t be on Twitter man.  Apologizing and deleting and trolling and screenshotting and what not, no shame.  Ray Young and Rich Paul gonna make Schlenk’s job much harder than it has to be.

Good thing I'm not on Twitter.  I didn't know there was so much gray hair resentment out there.