• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Ben Simmons Fit.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Let's day dream a bit...

If the Hawks did the unthinkable (because nobody would think we would do this) and trade for Simmons....

Let's say Brooklyn doesn't fleece us like they did Philly and the deal is Gallo, Kev, 1st 2023 (after July 1 of course) for Simmons. 

How does he fit?

If we stopped right here, we have:

Trae, Simmons, Hunter, JC, and Clint...

The benefits of this team. strangely enough is that we are incredibly defensive.   Let's say we're playing Miami.  Simmons will make the world say  "Jimmy who".

The problem is offenisvely, we have lost some of our shooting.   Hunter would have to step up big and my feeling is that Hunter is not a natural three point shooter and not a natural scorer yet. 

Trae would be able to play off ball with Simmons in the fold... and Trae for the corner three is magic. 

Nate would have to create more sets for JC.   Imagine a 2/4 PNP?  The question is could Nate gameplan for Simmons being a guy who can come off a pick straight to the basket?

Pick & Pop - Basketball Shooting Drill

Hard to find that 2-4 scheme... plus, I would closer to the basket.  I don't think we want it being broken up by a foul on Simmons... but then again, the 1-5 PNR suffers the same problem. 

The biggest problem though is end of the game, we would have to send Simmons to the bench for Bogi's replacement and problem Clint to the bench for OO or Mark Williams. 

That was the case for if we stopped with the one trade and a trade for Bogi like Fournier.

But what if we took another step to get a star. 

SNT JC/Hunter for Lavine.  Then trade Bogi for Jonathan Isaacs.  Resign Delon and pick up a SG in FAcy.

The totally remade team looks like this:

• Trae/Delon/Shariff
  • Lavine/SG
  • Simmons/NoKnox?
  • Isaacs/JJ
  • Clint/OO/Mark Williams. 

Ok, under these conditions, Mark Williams seems like too much at the 5... but we picked Williams (or Duren) before we had a chance to trade for Simmons (remember).   If we get a shot at Mark Williams, we take him regardless of what future plans look like.

About this team... big defensive frontcourt.   Shoot the lights out backcourt. 

Orlando could easily trade Isaacs because I hear the FO felt forced into the extension and they don't like how that has worked out so far.   But just so that you can remember the potential

If we did that trade for SImmons, there's no way we should move Collins unless there are concerns about his health. His offensive versatilality is too valuable if you're planning to use Simmons as a guard. Ideally Clint is moved for a big with a jumpshot so that the paint isn't packeded. I'd say go after Ayton just becasue I'd think Clint + a 1st gets it done. Keeping Hunter at the 3 and Bogi off the bench allows you to do a lot of things offensively while giving us good defensive personnel. Simmons can take the most diffficult perimeter matchups and having Ayton over Capela is an upgrade considering that Capela has not been healthy going into the playoffs.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, kg01 said:

I dont think Isaacs ever gets back to anything near what his potential was.  Even if he does, don't blink 'cause he's gonna get hurt again. 

Isaac's knee vs. Bogi's knee is what we're talking about. 

Isaac brings defense and scoring.   I hear the Clint haters say go get Ayton... Give me Isaac's all day if it only cost Bogi. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

You’re trading half our young core for 2 players who were injured the whole year (Isaac has missed TWO full seasons) and another who is coming off major knee surgery? Yikes.

Not as scary as you make it out to be.

Trading a gimpy Bogi for a gimpy Isaac's.

Back surgery is scary but if he recovers and is better, Simmons is the best fit you can get with Trae. 

If there were no risk, then there would be no possibility of trading for these guys. 

35 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Isaac's knee vs. Bogi's knee is what we're talking about. 

Isaac brings defense and scoring.   I hear the Clint haters say go get Ayton... Give me Isaac's all day if it only cost Bogi. 

One guy plays, but is diminished.  The other guy simply doesn't play.

Isaac doesn't bring defense or scoring because he's always out.  Period.  On 2K, I'd agree.  IRL?  Nah, that guy is fool's gold.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

One guy plays, but is diminished.  The other guy simply doesn't play.

Isaac doesn't bring defense or scoring because he's always out.  Period.  On 2K, I'd agree.  IRL?  Nah, that guy is fool's gold.

I wouldn't know about 2K but IRL Isaac is a potentially good player.   He has defense better than OO and offense you wish OO had.   Plus, he's coming back this season. 

The risk is there. But ACL's happen all the time. 

The thing is ORL FO has lost hope.   However, they do have him on a contract that is incentive laden and if he don't play, no pay.

11 hours ago, Diesel said:

The problem is offenisvely, we have lost some of our shooting.   Hunter would have to step up big and my feeling is that Hunter is not a natural three point shooter and not a natural scorer yet. 

Trae would be able to play off ball with Simmons in the fold... and Trae for the corner three is magic. 

Did you mention that Simmons can pass over the top better than pretty much everyone (including Luka) in the league???  Its his greatest strength and Trae's major offensive weakness.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Did you mention that Simmons can pass over the top better than pretty much everyone (including Luka) in the league???  Its his greatest strength and Trae's major offensive weakness.

Yeah, this brings a huge advantage to the acquisition of Simmons.  If we just added Simmons for the package mention and kept everybody and found a trade for Bogi because Bogi would remain unhappy coming off the bench...  Maybe it can be Bogi/Gallo/pick instead... somehow...

We could benefit from Simmon's passing.. That's why I mentioned a 2/4 PNP.   That would be dangerous.  If Simmons can get free low enough from the pick,  he would have everybody at his disposal.  CC at the rim, Trae in the Corner, Hunter on the three and JC in the high post.  I think that this is the benefit of getting him.. and having this type of offense. 

We lose some outside shooting and our outside shooters become Trae, JC, and Hunter... but we gain a lot in play making and defense.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Nets just traded for Simmons. They aren't interested in trading him to us for the low. With KD in his thirties, they are all in on winning now. 

Under normal circumstances, you would be correct.   However, with the hassle that they have had with Simmons, they may be looking for more stability around KD.   Remember,  Simmons sat out and he even stop attending Playoff games.   His movements suggested that he is just as much a head case as Kyrie.. so there's some risk for us as well. 

If the trade were Gallo/Kev/1st..

This gives them usable players for this portion of KD's window.  Plus Kev is a good player on a value contract. 

Gallo gives them a Contract relief after this season. 

And the first is going to be added to all the picks that they got from Philly ensuring their future. 

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Nets just traded for Simmons. They aren't interested in trading him to us for the low. With KD in his thirties, they are all in on winning now. 

The Simmons trade was just as much about moving Harden and reacting to a league issue as it was about getting Simmons.  The Nets had had enough of Harden's shenanigans, fighting with teammates. dude is not liked.

• Like 1