• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Mega Super Rumor Thread (Part 2)

NBASupes

1 minute ago, AtLaS said:

Agreed, the question then becomes if Murray will be effective playing mostly off-ball.  When Trae is driving and kicking, I'd rather him kick to Bogi/Heurter/Hunter than Murray.  Also means Murray's man can shade over to Trae, and have a foot in the paint the whole time clogging the lane.  Maybe Murray can make them pay with drives after the kick or stepping in to hit the midrange.  But I question the floor spacing with Murray off-ball.  

I'm not saying it can't or won't work, just that those are my concerns.

To me, Murray would become the leader of our 2nd unit in thsoe 12 - 16 minutes a game in which Trae isn't on the floor.   That's Delon's role right now, but imagine if Murray took that role and could run with Bogi and Okongwu with the 2nd team?  That's almost like a 2nd starting lineup if that happened. 

With Trae, he would get his run at the beginning of the 1st and 4th quarters, and at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters.  Ideally, Murray's time with Trae would be split about 16 minutes with him . . 16 minutes without him.

And a good coach would also tell Trae that, if he's having a horrible night via a bad matchup, and Dejounte was balling, to let Murray close the game out and see if we could pull out a win.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, sturt said:

See, all this time, I just thought every trade was like that... that technically no trade made after the February trade deadline was completed until after July 1, the new season... ie, that pre 7/1 trades were announced but just that... that because the old salary is already paid and that season's past, and so the new salary and new season apply.

What you're telling me is that, no, if a trade is done in this in-between period, the teams actually have always had an option to use either the just-done season's salary or the coming season's salary as the premise for the trade.

I just never understood that to be the case... and/but I can't find anything to confirm or deny, and it's usually safe to take your word on these things. I stand corrected.

Teams do that to meet the 90% threshold in the current calendar year.

34 minutes ago, sturt said:

See, all this time, I just thought every trade was like that... that technically no trade made after the February trade deadline was completed until after July 1, the new season... ie, that pre 7/1 trades were announced but just that... that because the old salary is already paid and that season's past, and so the new salary and new season apply.

What you're telling me is that, no, if a trade is done in this in-between period, the teams actually have always had an option to use either the just-done season's salary or the coming season's salary as the premise for the trade.

I just never understood that to be the case... and/but I can't find anything to confirm or deny, and it's usually safe to take your word on these things. I stand corrected.

You can't trade after the trade deadline, until the season ends because only those on your roster can qualify for post season. Once eliminated you can trade again and those trades are processed during the calendar year they are "processed" by the league.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Don't get it twisted.  JC actually fits our team.

Outside of running PnRs with Trae, there is nothing special about his fit imo.  All this to say I'm not talking about how good Collins is because I do think he's one of the top PFs in the league, but our defense would benefit so much from a plus perimeter defender and not leave Capela hanging in the paint when guys get beat off the dribble

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Is that winning basketball??

No, there are 82 games in a season so 34-48 is a losing record.  The Spurs are bad.

Murray plays winning basketball though, which is why I would like him on the Hawks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

No, there are 82 games in a season so 34-48 is a losing record.  The Spurs are bad.

Murray plays winning basketball though, which is why I would like him on the Hawks.

When has he won?

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

When has he won?

I think you're conflating team result with assessing individual talent.  Surely you don't think all the players on teams with losing records (half the league) play losing basketball?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

even if I did, the cost is too high 

If I were Collins, after all this foolishness, I would demand a trade.  It's like, "oh, we couldn't unload you, so we're stuck with you, and you're stuck with us."  Obviously they do not value him, and if he is going to be the subject of countless rumors every deadline, that would get really old, really fast.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

I think you're conflating team result with assessing individual talent.  Surely you don't think all the players on teams with losing records (half the league) play losing basketball?

Over a 5 year career! Yes

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Over a 5 year career! Yes

His rookie/sophomore year the Spurs exited in the first round so they went into an intentional rebuild.  If he got drafted onto the Bucks would you feel different about him?  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

There is no denying that Murray turned a corner this past season.

As said in an earlier exchange today, his value is a function of how much confidence one puts into his not regressing instead of replicating. NBA history is saturated with players who made a single All-Star Game... Oladipo comes to mind...  and then settled back into something closer to his former performance level.

But there certainly are many examples, too, of players who hit 25-ish and turned that corner and never looked back on their former self.

I'm with those who would just like to see an extra year of it before ascending to the confidence sufficient to invest our #2 best player plus a FRP... and regardless can't justify sending a second FRP given that you'd only acquire him for two seasons.

I just choke on the deal, not the player. And I choke all the more so because the player we'd be sending out is, imo, his equal in terms of talent... and I think that's why he's so evidently popular with other teams as a target... arguably the guy most cited by other teams' fans as an ASG quality talent who just hasn't had that season yet that forced it to happen.

But if it did happen in the next day or two or three, it's easy to imagine the Randle/Gallo thing actually becoming the next trade conversation.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

His rookie/sophomore year the Spurs exited in the first round so they went into an intentional rebuild.  If he got drafted onto the Bucks would you feel different about him?  

Someone else like Giannis would be the reason the team wins in Milwaukee not him.  But when he took a prominent role on the Spurs they became a team that finished 14 games under .500 in a weak west. With a Hall of Fame coach.