• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Mega Super Rumor Thread (Part 2)

NBASupes

21 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Gallo's contract can be renegotiated to increase the partial guarantee to at least 13.2 million in order to match Murray's salary of 18.5 million (credit to @thecampster). After June 29th the contract becomes fully guaranteed, but it still would be tradeable. That's a situation I'm sure we'll avoid though. The Spurs knowing we have a deadline have some leverage against us, and if they have other offers on the table they can squeeze us a bit.

Pickwise I think we'll try to keep a first next year, and give them our 2024 and 2026 picks but we'll see. I'd like to think this deal is mostly done, but you never know what other negotiations they've got going on.

Because Murray's bonuses are in the "unlikely" category, his salary for matching purposes is the base $16.5 million. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Spurs believe they can ask almost anything, and the Hawks will take the bait.  Do they really believe that we are that desperate to get their man?

😎

They probably do think we're a bit desperate to get this deal done. Gallo won't stay on our roster with his current contract, and Murray is by far the best player we could get if we trade him. Given the time constraints before Gallo's contract is guaranteed, they'll want to extract as much as they can. That might mean both picks in 2023, less protections on our picks or some second rounders thrown in.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

I'd like to think this deal is mostly done, but you never know what other negotiations they've got going on.

Deals can be done for days or weeks before they are formally finalized.  It could be PR, news cycle timing.  It could be Gallo negotiating his landing spot.  They might be taking a shot at a third team getting involved somehow.  The lawyers could be red lining terms. 
It ALWAYS sucks to wait.  So many deals go sidewise at the last minute even after you have an “agreement.”  People have a last minute objection and it’s like a run away bride. 

Just let me say, “This deal will get done.”  Let’s all manifest the completion.  Everyone wins.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Okay folks, and now its time to have "this" conversation.

"https://cbabreakdown.com/trades

• No Re-Acquisitions — Once a team trades a player, it cannot reacquire that player during the same season. If the team trades a player between seasons, it cannot reacquire that player until the end of the next season. The only exceptions to these rules are if the player is waived and no other team claims the player."

Okay so the very odd Gallo salary paradox.  Technically if we trade Gallo today and San Antonio waives Gallo tomorrow. We can safely assume that no team is claiming Gallo because it would mean paying him $21.45 million next year. What if the whole plan is to then sign him back for a vet minimum.

The interesting concept here is we are currently on the hook for Gallo for that salary.  But the possibility here is Gallo likes it here. The "guarantee" is to waive Gallo for an amount close enough that if he is resigned here after waived that he won't lose any or very little salary. With the tax payer MLE available, we would have $6.392 million to pay him to come back.  So if the guarantee ends up $13.2 million and we gave Gallo the 10 year vet minimum to come back ($2.72 million), the end result of the deal would be giving up 3 firsts but getting Murray, keeping Gallo and saving 3 million.

Chew on that today while waiting on the shoe to drop.

It's not going to happen. https://www.sportscasting.com/nba-buyout-market-explained-the-dos-and-donts-heading-toward-march-1/

SAS won't have time to trade him to another team for the buyout in time and neither team is putting him on waivers.

Edited by theheroatl

8 minutes ago, thecampster said:

• No Re-Acquisitions — Once a team trades a player, it cannot reacquire that player during the same season. If the team trades a player between seasons, it cannot reacquire that player until the end of the next season. The only exceptions to these rules are if the player is waived and no other team claims the player."

Okay so the very odd Gallo salary paradox.  Technically if we trade Gallo today and San Antonio waives Gallo tomorrow. We can safely assume that no team is claiming Gallo because it would mean paying him $21.45 million next year. What if the whole plan is to then sign him back for a vet minimum.

The interesting concept here is we are currently on the hook for Gallo for that salary.  But the possibility here is Gallo likes it here. The "guarantee" is to waive Gallo for an amount close enough that if he is resigned here after waived that he won't lose any or very little salary. With the tax payer MLE available, we would have $6.392 million to pay him to come back.  So if the guarantee ends up $13.2 million and we gave Gallo the 10 year vet minimum to come back ($2.72 million), the end result of the deal would be giving up 3 firsts but getting Murray, keeping Gallo and saving 3 million.

Damn.  I hope this is the insider talking.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thecampster said:

The interesting concept here is we are currently on the hook for Gallo for that salary.  But the possibility here is Gallo likes it here. The "guarantee" is to waive Gallo for an amount close enough that if he is resigned here after waived that he won't lose any or very little salary. With the tax payer MLE available, we would have $6.392 million to pay him to come back.  So if the guarantee ends up $13.2 million and we gave Gallo the 10 year vet minimum to come back ($2.72 million), the end result of the deal would be giving up 3 firsts but getting Murray, keeping Gallo and saving 5.33 million.

Schlenk and Fields are magicians if they pull that off. That would make us the deepest team in the league by a country mile. That would suck for JJ though unless we go though some heavy load management throughout the season to spread out the minutes.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, sturt said:

I'm confused, as I think I read camp say that Gallo has a say in what we guarantee him, even though the guarantee would be for more than the $5m... not saying camp is wrong, just saying that it doesn't make sense that if you want, you can just cut the guy per the contract and pay him $5m... but if you want to give him more guarantee and then cut him, he has to agree to it.... what???... I mean, it wouldn't be the first time something about the NBA CBA seemed nonsensical, but it is nonsensical.

It's difficult to imagine why Gallo would balk at this... he's getting a higher buyout than required in his contract, and just being bought out means he gets to determine where he wants to land. And at his age, you want to control that, of course.

So, I'm skeptical that that's the explanation for the current holding pattern. But who knows. Not me.

Welcome to the world of organized labor.  Short version:  you can do what you want given your rights under the contract (cut for 5 or fully guarantee).  If you want to do something, you need his consent to change the terms of the agreement even if it is objectively better for him.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Lol..I jokingly said give them 4 picks, but this is a killer request.

San Antonio’s asking price for Murray is four first round draft picks with little to no protections. Alternatively, the Spurs want three minimally protected first rounders and two unprotected first round pick swaps.

That's

tenor.gif?itemid=8415009

I mean, I want the guy but not that much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I think he means we would be badly over the LT. Full Gallo plus Griffin is 5.9 million over. So after this trade with the new terms, it would be 900k over the LT with 10 players. Add 4 min players who aren't rookies, its 5.4 million. So what we are saying is, we wouldn't have much money after this deal and would pay the LT from the jump

Paying Wright will likely just just add a massive amount to our tax bill. Until the cap has a significant hike, its gonna be hard for us to be under the LT for the next two seasons for sure. Based on Murray ext rates, Atlanta would be smart to try to get an ext done as soon as possible as his ext rates are really good right now. 

Pretty sure I read the hawks don't have to give him the full guarantee. Don't even think they have to get his guarantee amount to 16 mill which is what murray will make next season. I *think* they only have to get around 12-13 mill