• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Ayton, Capela, or Gobert

theheroatl

Ayton, Capela, Gobert  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

Capela is the best value center of the three but not the best center of the 3.  As long as Ressler does not want to go in the tax, Capela is the answer for the Hawks.  I would be happier if we went into the tax to upgrade the roster though, as I don't see a team unwilling to go into the luxury tax winning a chip anymore.  I was hoping that meant Gobert plus a couple picks this offseason but his price was too pick-heavy to justify imo.  Either way, too many owners are riding in the tax to improve their rosters, which in turn drives up the market price for good players, which makes it even harder to compete with the hard cap as your spending ceiling.

We used to routinely see only 4-5 teams in the luxury tax and we are up to 10 this year, which I believe is an all-time high.  It is more difficult than ever to win a chip if you have an owner who refuses to spend for talent.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

We used to routinely see only 4-5 teams in the luxury tax and we are up to 10 this year, which I believe is an all-time high.  It is more difficult than ever to win a chip if you have an owner who refuses to spend for talent.

Currently 10, but we often see teams make deadline trades to get under the tax.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I just want to say this one thing....

Capela >Ayton...

Why?

Heart.

Technically, Ayton should be able to run circles around Capela.   If you look at his offense, he should dominate.  If you look at his size, he's big enough to outrebound and outdefend Capela.   But Capela has this one thing... HEART.

Captain Planet Heart GIFs | Tenor

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Capela is the best value center of the three but not the best center of the 3.  As long as Ressler does not want to go in the tax, Capela is the answer for the Hawks.  I would be happier if we went into the tax to upgrade the roster though, as I don't see a team unwilling to go into the luxury tax winning a chip anymore.  I was hoping that meant Gobert plus a couple picks this offseason but his price was too pick-heavy to justify imo.  Either way, too many owners are riding in the tax to improve their rosters, which in turn drives up the market price for good players, which makes it even harder to compete with the hard cap as your spending ceiling.

Thank God Utah wanted too much for Gobert... Wolves fans are already turning on him.. Crazy how an NBA franchise gave up 5 first round picks and multiple rotational players for a player that didnt make a field goal in 9 quarters.... lol.... Its clear why the Jazz won so many reg season games every year, and that dude is in Cleveland....Id rather have CC honestly..

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, terrell said:

Thank God Utah wanted too much for Gobert... Wolves fans are already turning on him.. Crazy how an NBA franchise gave up 5 first round picks and multiple rotational players for a player that didnt make a field goal in 9 quarters.... lol.... Its clear why the Jazz won so many reg season games every year, and that dude is in Cleveland....Id rather have CC honestly..

Forgot to mention, they're paying him 170 million over the next 4 years...Jeez...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, terrell said:

Yet he still has the best advanced stats and on/off of their "big 3"

• Haha 1

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, terrell said:

Yes yes exactly.   Mitchell is super underrated honestly.  The dude dragged a crummy roster to the top of the west every regular season and then got blamed for poor playoff showings. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

KAT has the edge in a pretty significant way in a lot of them.

Top Rated Player

PER - KAT

WS - KAT & Gobert (tied)

BPM - KAT (this one is a HUGE gap: 2.9 for KAT versus 0.3 for Gobert)

VORP - KAT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yes yes exactly.   Mitchell is super underrated honestly.  The dude dragged a crummy roster to the top of the west every regular season and then got blamed for poor playoff showings. 

They seem to be doing pretty darn well without him.  SSS but they are winning at a much higher % than last year when they had both of them.

(Obviously Cleveland is doing great so far this year as well and Mitchell is likewise killing it individually.)

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

KAT has the edge in a pretty significant way in a lot of them.

Top Rated Player

PER - KAT

WS - KAT & Gobert (tied)

BPM - KAT (this one is a HUGE gap: 2.9 for KAT versus 0.3 for Gobert)

VORP - KAT

NEVERMIND!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, AHF said:

They seem to be doing pretty darn well without him.  SSS but they are winning at a much higher % than last year when they had both of them.

(Obviously Cleveland is doing great so far this year as well and Mitchell is likewise killing it individually.)

Cleveland was on pace for a really nice season last year before their injuries.  It's unclear to me how much better they got with Mitchell -- definitely getting a lot more attention though.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Cleveland was on pace for a really nice season last year before their injuries.  It's unclear to me how much better they got with Mitchell -- definitely getting a lot more attention though.

Mitchell has been playing out of his mind this season for sure.  Hard not to give him a lot of credit for their success so far.

How sustainable is it, though?  His career average TS% is .556% (.572% career high).  His TS% this season is .624%.  That is a huge positive variance.

24 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

He's also clogging the lane with NO offensive production.... lol

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, terrell said:

He's also clogging the lane with NO offensive production.... lol

No offensive production?  He is leading the team in scoring.  He has taken 32% of his FGA in the paint (0-3 feet from the basket) and shot .633% FG% on those attempts (which is somehow almost identical to Gobert's .638% FG% on shots from the same distance).

Just looking at the numbers, Edwards seems to be struggling the most in the mid-range game.

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, AHF said:

Yeah well count me as a skeptic that Utah will keep it up but i will say that they did a good job of bringing back capable players for Gobert and Mitchell.    So it shouldn't be too surprising that having Lauri, Beasley, and Sexton maybe is better than everything being on Mitchell.   But still I can't see them being a top 6 team in the west unless Lauri has elevated his game even more than anyone thought.   But kudos to them for not just going after draft picks only. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah well count me as a skeptic that Utah will keep it up but i will say that they did a good job of bringing back capable players for Gobert and Mitchell.    So it shouldn't be too surprising that having Lauri, Beasley, and Sexton maybe is better than everything being on Mitchell.   But still I can't see them being a top 6 team in the west unless Lauri has elevated his game even more than anyone thought.   But kudos to them for not just going after draft picks only. 

Will be pretty hilarious if both Utah and Cleveland end up being dramatically better than NY this year like they have been so far.  Impressive coaching job to get what I think is some pretty pedestrian talent into this record early in the season.

• Like 3

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Will be pretty hilarious if both Utah and Cleveland end up being dramatically better than NY this year like they have been so far.  Impressive coaching job to get what I think is some pretty pedestrian talent into this record early in the season.

I mean the Knicks suck.  Let's be honest.  Not sure why they thought the only move they needed to make was Brunson.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

No offensive production?  He is leading the team in scoring.  He has taken 32% of his FGA in the paint (0-3 feet from the basket) and shot .633% FG% on those attempts (which is somehow almost identical to Gobert's .638% FG% on shots from the same distance).

Just looking at the numbers, Edwards seems to be struggling the most in the mid-range game.

Edwards? I was talking about Gobert... lol

Edited by terrell

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Lauri has been ballin tbh..

• Like 1