• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Ayton, Capela, or Gobert

theheroatl

Ayton, Capela, Gobert  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, terrell said:

Edwards? I was talking about Gobert... lol

I misread it.  Thought you were talking about Edwards not getting any dunks and then commented that he hadn't given them any offense.  Now I follow that you were saying Edwards had no dunks because Gobert was clogging the lane.

Gobert is pretty much giving his normal offensive contribution.  A bit lower than the last couple of years but that is probably predictable given that he needs someone to feed him and Edwards and KAT aren't exactly playmakers for other people's offense.  He has never been more than someone who gets cleanup buckets and feeds from the point.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Clint? Yes!

Ayton? Nope!

Goberated? Hellz Naw!

Screenshot_20221112_134335_Samsung Internet.jpg

Lol. Agreed.. And The more I watch KAT the more I just don't see the fit defensively. Now there is a guy in LA who might be available that can play with any big you put out there with him and that's why I'd like him much more.. It would be risky considering his injury history, but I might just take that risk.....Its not like Dre and JC havent had their own injury concerns..

Dre + Kings pick + 1 of our own first + JC for Anthony Davis..

Make the call Travis..lol

Trae/Murray/Bogi/AD/OO/CC/JH/JJ/AJ/AH 10 man rotation

Edited by terrell
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

Gobert works best with a small ball lineup, i.e. a shooting SF playing the 4.  Only way Gobert would work here is if we played Hunter at the 4.  I'm so glad we didn't trade for him though b/c he can be schemed out of playoff games.  Play a stretch 5 and he is useless.  

Capela has really stepped up the past few games but I would still trade him for Ayton.  Ayton would make our offense unstoppable.

Glancing over a Wolves message board they got smoke for everyone but Edwards and Russell defense getting killed the most.  Modern player tendencies aren’t getting any easier to deal with either as Edwards apparently just stands still like a statue when Gobert has the ball, highlighting some inner turmoil.

All their Bigs have good advanced metrics, I’d like to hear @Sothron and @NBASupes evaluation of the Wolves’ current woes since Gobert was mentioned here 1,000 times this off-season.  I’ve always liked Reid, McLaughlin, and Slo Mo, never cared for anything else they got going on.

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Glancing over a Wolves message board they got smoke for everyone but Edwards and Russell defense getting killed the most.  Modern player tendencies aren’t getting any easier to deal with either as Edwards apparently just stands still like a statue when Gobert has the ball, highlighting some inner turmoil.

All their Bigs have good advanced metrics, I’d like to hear @Sothron and @NBASupes evaluation of the Wolves’ current woes since Gobert was mentioned here 1,000 times this off-season.  I’ve always liked Reid, McLaughlin, and Slo Mo, never cared for anything else they got going on.

DLo has always been a poor defender. He got bailed out last season because Pat Bev could bulldog the ballhandler and let Dlo drift to the worst offensive player like how we hide Trae. No Pat Bev means he's got no safety blanket.

Vanderbilt and Pat Bev were the defensive anchors from last season and there was much more buy in from everyone on defense. This year you aren't seeing it. I'm hearing from one of my Wolf friends who has sources in the team that there's some interpersonal issues among the players but that's all I know.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Capela definitely deserves credit for getting back close to his best self. I applaud his work towards that.. one big thing is I think he looks lean.

When Capela is playing like he is now at the time of this post and how he played two seasons ago he's the second most valuable Hawk on the court right after Trae. His defense and rebounding are elite when he's healthy and playing like this.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 4/2/2023 at 12:15 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

With 5 games left in our season - what say you now?

Salaries for next season:

Gobert $42 mil, Ayton $32 mil, Capela $21 mil.

I still say go get Ayton. It could be our blessing in disguise like Wiggins was for the Warriors.

No offense to Capela but unless he’s making us a top 10 defense which he’s not doing the value just isn’t there.

Also the possibilities of getting KAT or Embiid is just too slim for me to put any true hope in. Go get this kid Ayton and let Synder coach him up to his potential.

8 hours ago, macdaddy said:

If this is Ayton disgruntled then get him here.   But can we play OO and Ayton together?

Yes! That actually would be perfect for us.

• Premium Member
On 11/12/2022 at 3:45 PM, AtLaS said:

Gobert works best with a small ball lineup, i.e. a shooting SF playing the 4.  Only way Gobert would work here is if we played Hunter at the 4.  I'm so glad we didn't trade for him though b/c he can be schemed out of playoff games.  Play a stretch 5 and he is useless.  

Capela has really stepped up the past few games but I would still trade him for Ayton.  Ayton would make our offense unstoppable.

Ayton would make our defense unwatchable. 

Right now.. the middiest team in the NBA...

• We rank 9th overall in Offensive rating. 
  • We rank 6th in A/TO
  • We rank 9th in pace. 
  • We rank 8th in Possessions

Ayton wouldn't help our rebounding.   He wouldn't help our defense.   He'd give us a better scorer but that about it.  Scoring is not our biggest problem.

• We rank 22 in Defensive rating. 
  • We rank 20th in Defensive rebounding. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Ayton would make our defense unwatchable. 

Right now.. the middiest team in the NBA...

• We rank 9th overall in Offensive rating. 
  • We rank 6th in A/TO
  • We rank 9th in pace. 
  • We rank 8th in Possessions

Ayton wouldn't help our rebounding.   He wouldn't help our defense.   He'd give us a better scorer but that about it.  Scoring is not our biggest problem.

• We rank 22 in Defensive rating. 
  • We rank 20th in Defensive rebounding. 

I get that and i'm no expert on Ayton but if Capela is miles better then why is our defense and rebounding so terrible now?

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I get that and i'm no expert on Ayton but if Capela is miles better then why is our defense and rebounding so terrible now?

Because we are terrible at team rebounding and we don't know what we're doing defensively. 

Sometimes, guys just come straight down the lane and score on us.  The problem as I see it is that we use Clint and OO like PFs.   We allow them to go out and chase guards and fowards on the perimeter.   We don't have a traditional big man stay back and guard the rim type of defense.  Our defense last year was better.  And Clint is not in that much of a decline and JC is not in that much of a decline.   It's scheme. 

We didn't heed the warning...

As I quickly recapped yesterday, Longabardi is an NBA lifer. He's worked as an assistant coach on six other teams since 2003. He's been a part of two NBA championship squads and part of almost every coaching tree imaginable. Even better, Longabardi is billed as a defensive-minded coach.

However, the Hawks new hire has had varied results when coordinating team's defensive schemes in the past. Different fanbases from around the league quickly reminded Hawks fans that Longabardi had overseen three of the nine worst defensive teams of all time

Back to Longabardi, the Phoenix Suns' record and defensive rating got worst each year from 2013-2015. History repeated itself with the Cleveland Cavaliers from 2016-2019. During Longabardi's time with the Wizards, the team went from worst in the league to 19th. Then, of course, last year was historically bad for the Kings.

When you watch our games... our defense is wide open lane for teams that drive. Why?  This dude can't coach good defense.   When the off season starts, he should be sent home. 

3 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Ayton’s on/off and box metrics are about as laughable as his physicality and intangibles.  Y’all support and covet some shaky ass dudes man.

I support you, benhilly.  What's that say about me? 🤓

On a side note, now that I think Jollins will be gone, I'm starting to make googly eyes at some other big dudes for us.  One guy from the twolves has me all a twitter and his name ain't Towns or Gobert.

Gimme some other bigs I should covet, based on all your sexy nimbers. 

• Haha 3