• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

My disappointments...

Diesel

• Premium Member

1.  Hate that we didn't throw some money at Delon Wright. 

Maybe it was a Chance that we could get Durant and we played poker with the Nets until Delon was gone?

Maybe we felt that with Murray, we wont need Wright. 

Maybe we wanted to feature AJ with the big boys and felt that Wright would hinder that?

Do you know how dangerous we could be if we sent out a lineup of Murray, Wright, Hunter, OO, and Clint for a defensive stop??

2.  Hate that we had to give up Gallo. 

I may warm up to Frank the Tank... But Gallo was a bucket when we needed one. 

His post up game was so underrated. 

3.  Don't understand the Kev Trade.

Even though Kev's play was untrustable... I still hoped for that dude from Maryland to come back.  Maybe SacTown will send him to a Psychologist.   Because before he was injured, the dude from Maryland was Physical and didn't settle. 

About the trade... I don't value what we got just yet. 

Looks like a money move. 

4.  I believe we have given up on Skylar. 

I need somebody to tell me what's wrong with em...  This guy has better proficiency on the pick and roll than Trae does.   I didn't really see the need to go out and get Coop aside from BPA...  Skylar IMO is a better player and deserving of a real break. 

These may sound like Major bellyaches... but don't be confused... I love what we have on the floor.   Murray + Trae is going to make us one of the best teams in the East. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel you on 1 and 4.

1. I get that Murray will be the back up PG, but that just means there will be more minutes where Trae and Bogi are now on the court together and we will be dealing with the same defensive issues we always have. Delon did not cost a ton and his presence towards the end of the season really opened my eyes. Murray is a better version of Delon, but Im greedy, I wanted both. The only thing that will make me feel better is if we do end up making another move and bring in a Clarkson or another difference maker off the bench.

4. Skylar is tough and reliable, and could play the 1 and 2. I would rather have him as the emergency option than Cooper.

#2&3. I love both guys, but I understand the business behind both trades. Im moving Gallo 100/100 times if it gets me Murray and I keep all my best players. Kev, I knew he or Bogi were getting moved at some point. Bogi is better, makes a more consistent impact on games, just can’t seem to stay healthy. Kev won us game 7 in Philly, but he also single handedly buried us in game 5 vs the Heat with that inbounding meltdown. He is high character, but is a bit symbolic of how soft and frantic we have been under pressure. We now have a much more mature roster with a higher competitive edge than before.  I wish him well.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

It should be clear to everyone that the decision has been adequate not to be in the tax this year. That was probably the main driving force behind the trade John Collins campaign until management found a way around it with Huerter. So please stop trying to spend more of the team's money because it was never going to happen this year.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

It should be clear to everyone that the decision has been adequate not to be in the tax this year. That was probably the main driving force behind the trade John Collins campaign until management found a way around it with Huerter. So please stop trying to spend more of the team's money because it was never going to happen this year.

I can imagine that there was a great driving force for not being in the tax.  I think the compensation for Kev has some meaning.   I mean I had to rethink it... a 2024 1st round pick from Sac-Town.  Lottery protected.. then top 12 protected.. then top 10 protected. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I can imagine that there was a great driving force for not being in the tax.  I think the compensation for Kev has some meaning.   I mean I had to rethink it... a 2024 1st round pick from Sac-Town.  Lottery protected.. then top 12 protected.. then top 10 protected. 

And the fact that Hunter, Okungwu and Murray will receive significant raises over the next 2 years

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

And the fact that Hunter, Okungwu and Murray will receive significant raises over the next 2 years

Well, we will have bogi coming off the books....

and we will know if Hunter is even worth the raise...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Diesel said:

1.  Hate that we didn't throw some money at Delon Wright. 

Maybe it was a Chance that we could get Durant and we played poker with the Nets until Delon was gone?

Maybe we felt that with Murray, we wont need Wright. 

Maybe we wanted to feature AJ with the big boys and felt that Wright would hinder that?

Do you know how dangerous we could be if we sent out a lineup of Murray, Wright, Hunter, OO, and Clint for a defensive stop??

2.  Hate that we had to give up Gallo. 

I may warm up to Frank the Tank... But Gallo was a bucket when we needed one. 

His post up game was so underrated. 

3.  Don't understand the Kev Trade.

Even though Kev's play was untrustable... I still hoped for that dude from Maryland to come back.  Maybe SacTown will send him to a Psychologist.   Because before he was injured, the dude from Maryland was Physical and didn't settle. 

About the trade... I don't value what we got just yet. 

Looks like a money move. 

4.  I believe we have given up on Skylar. 

I need somebody to tell me what's wrong with em...  This guy has better proficiency on the pick and roll than Trae does.   I didn't really see the need to go out and get Coop aside from BPA...  Skylar IMO is a better player and deserving of a real break. 

These may sound like Major bellyaches... but don't be confused... I love what we have on the floor.   Murray + Trae is going to make us one of the best teams in the East. 

1. Agreed

2. Kaminsky may make you forget about Gallo.  He has a horribly ugly but effective 1/3 hook, 1/3 floater, 1/3 push shot thing he does that goes in more than it misses and is very hard to cover (much like the Robin Lopez hook). Gallo plays better positional defense (when he plays it) than Kaminsky but Kaminsky covers the 3 point line better and can block shots (length). He's a better defensive get (team defense) than Gallo and has a better put back game.  There are things Gallo does you'll miss and things Frank does that you'll say "Gallo couldn't/didn't do that."  IMHO its a wash at $18 million less dollars in salary.

3. Kev is gone because he had a market that brought back a 1st + 2 players when we needed cheap bodies to fill out the roster and because Bogi's late season knee issues killed any value he had.  Kev brought back a lot more in trade than Bogi, that's the reason Kev vs Bogi was traded. We will regret this one.

4. Skylar has limitations.  If heart and hustle won basketball games, you'd field 15 Skylars. But he has some height, speed, athleticism limitations that he just can't overcome vs the best 1's and 2's in the league.  Biggest heart, easiest guy to root for, winner mentality but he doesn't move the needle in areas you need it moved.  Writing this makes me ill. I love Skylar.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I think some of these moves show that Tony is gonna spend, but he's not gonna be reckless with it.  FO seems to be making smart moves over all and I don't think they are done.  I'm waiting to make a final judgement after the roster is complete.  

2. Gallo was a joy.  At least we got something in return and didn't have to give up JC or Okongwu to get Murray.  He would have been cut.  Being able to trade him was a win.     

3. Huerter pulled off a real life Rick Roll on the entire city of Philadelphia.  He gets free drinks in ATL anytime and permanently known as K'von.  Still, I think this move will end up like the Cam trade.  We'll appreciate the decision more over time and the pick we got back will have more value.  Plus, I'm hoping Justin Holiday will end up actually being a legit rotation player this year. 

4. Mays is a typical story of a 2nd round pick.  Never saw him as anything more than a 3rd PG like Brandon Goodwin.  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

I think some of these moves show that Tony is gonna spend, but he's not gonna be reckless with it.  FO seems to be making smart moves over all and I don't think they are done.  I'm waiting to make a final judgement after the roster is complete.  

The Hawks have 14 players on the active roster and are most likely done

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

The rumor is moving Harkless in a deal.  Curious to get other takes on this topic.  Are we done?

Someone was talking about a rumor that had the Hawks spending more money on an incoming player for Harkless. That makes no sense to me.  The incoming player most likely will have no role on this team  or at the very most a limited role so why would the Hawks do this?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Someone was talking about a rumor that had the Hawks spending more money on an incoming player for Harkless. That makes no sense to me.  The incoming player most likely will have no role on this team  or at the very most a limited role so why would the Hawks do this?

Let me try to help?

This is what has been floated by yours truly (see #3 in graphic below).

Vasilije Micic would not be more expensive (he's making $3m in Europe, which is in their upper tier, but nothing like NBA obviously). But his rights are widely reported as being on the market, as is JaMychal Green and his contract.

Micic represents an exceptional opportunity to obtain a rotation player at a significantly reasonable contract number for 3 years (or so)... increasing the amount of time, too, that DejounTrae would be on the court together. If you haven't watched Micic clips, you need to.

And Green certainly would add some grit and solidify our front court for the coming season in a way that Harkless probably does not--even if he were to be healthy for a change.

2022-07-15_23-50-04.png

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Let me try to help?

This is what has been floated by yours truly (see #3 in graphic below).

Vasilije Micic would not be more expensive (he's making $3m in Europe, which is in their upper tier, but nothing like NBA obviously). But his rights are widely reported as being on the market, as is JaMychal Green and his contract.

Micic represents an exceptional opportunity to obtain a rotation player at a significantly reasonable contract number for 3 years (or so)... increasing the amount of time, too, that DejounTrae would be on the court together. If you haven't watched Micic clips, you need to.

And Green certainly would add some grit and solidify our front court for the coming season in a way that Harkless probably does not--even if he were to be healthy for a change.

2022-07-15_23-50-04.png

So the Hawks would trade for both using Harkless? I'm not following.

• Moderators

I'm really going to miss Gallo too.  He's just a cool guy and it was great to have a go to scorer in the post like him.  I'm still concerned about that.

I really wanted Kev out of the starting line up but i also really wanted him off the bench.   I think it was a bad trade to free up future money.   I don't see holding onto him as reckless spending at all. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So the Hawks would trade for both using Harkless? I'm not following.

The core idea that @thecampster suggested they may be pursuing... at least as I took it... is that they were looking to take the trade exception gained from the Huerter trade ($3.6m iirc), and flip it for a real body... and there are only so many players of course in that $3m-ish neighborhood who also qualify as (a) being mostly peripheral to their current team's 2022-23 plans and (b) being on a team that has too many bodies and not enough roster slots...

Sterling Brown ($3m contract) is one of those that fit that criteria, and I'm really not seeing anyone else.

So.... you take Brown, then... and add Harkless ($4.6m)... and send them away ($3.0m+$4.6m=$7.6m) in a trade for assets worth up to 125% plus $100k (as a taxpayer, that's the equation, regardless)...

And you get something like Green in return, but the more salient piece being the rights to Micic... with whom, then, you negotiate a contract using your MLE.

"Well why would OKC make that deal, taking back two players when they already have too many on their roster?"

This is why you send them $3m cash... they lose nothing in cutting Sterling Brown. So the end product for them is Mo Harkless and whatever other draft assets we would send to them.

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm still concerned about that.

That, but the truly big concern is that he ended up with the current "king of the hill" team of our conference.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, sturt said:

The core idea that @thecampster suggested they may be pursuing... at least as I took it... is that they were looking to take the trade exception gained from the Huerter trade ($3.6m iirc), and flip it for a real body... and there are only so many players of course in that $3m-ish neighborhood who also qualify as (a) being mostly peripheral to their current team's 2022-23 plans and (b) being on a team that has too many bodies and not enough roster slots...

Sterling Brown ($3m contract) is one of those that fit that criteria, and I'm really not seeing anyone else.

So.... you take Brown, then... and add Harkless ($4.6m)... and send them away ($3.0m+$4.6m=$7.6m) in a trade for assets worth up to 125% plus $100k (as a taxpayer, that's the equation, regardless)...

And you get something like Green in return, but the more salient piece being the rights to Micic... with whom, then, you negotiate a contract using your MLE.

"Well why would OKC make that deal, taking back two players when they already have too many on their roster?"

This is why you send them $3m cash... they lose nothing in cutting Sterling Brown. So the end product for them is Mo Harkless and whatever other draft assets we would send to them.

So why go deep into the luxury the tax for a player that will play 10 minutes or less on a nightly basis?

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So why go deep into the luxury the tax for a player that will play 10 minutes or less on a nightly basis?

Right. Agreed.

That's why you don't do this, unless Micic is involved.

You're going to lose BogBog eventually. You're going to lose both the Holidays after this season. And Micic legitimately gets minutes like Murray does, at both PG and SG. He's a weapon.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Right. Agreed.

That's why you don't do this, unless Micic is involved.

You're going to lose BogBog eventually. You're going to lose both the Holidays after this season. And Micic legitimately gets minutes like Murray does, at both PG and SG. He's a weapon.

I haven't followed OKC so this may sound stupid but why would they want to trade Micic?