• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Take the 25 game pledge (... or if not, modify it to suit your own convictions... )

sturt

19 hours ago, Wretch said:

Ya'll need to stop playing with @sturt!  Many Squawkers don't realize this, but he's not a living person.  He's actually an AI generated personality that's been seeded with all of our posts over the past 2+ decades.  The more you interact with him like this, the smarter you make him...he's going to conquer the Squawk...then RealGM...then ESPN.  He'll have full control of the media, the arenas, and the NBA shortly after that.  He's going to create an expansion team in Area 51 and use quantum computing to create the ultimate super team. 

I would know. I was there... {queue the Terminator Theme}

How do you think I'm ALWAYS right about EVERYTHING that I post?  I was sent here from the future by the Hawksquawk resistance - renamed HawkZquawk (Z because it's the end of the alphabet or something symbolically).  Led by @Plainview1981, @terrell, @TexasPeteand @shakes - their negativity was the only thing powerful enough to keep the SturtAITM from infecting the entirety of free basketball talk.  The commander of the resistance was @kg01

Sure KG's a funny guy today, but he lost all humor when the best of the Squawk fell during the Great Sturt Reset (Do not take the 80 game challenge!!!).  During that epic thread, the SturtAITM was so efficient in his analysis and wordplay that he corrupted @AHF (who became irrational and prone to hyperboles), @JayBirdHawk (who failed to make a single valid point in over 24 hours), and @Gray Mule who turned into a complete hater and changed his name to Negative-Mule. 

KG's humor died that very day...

Not long after that, everyone drifted away or was assimilated by the SturtAITM ...starting with @JeffS17 and @macdaddy who started this whole thing by trading posts with him on this very thread.

• @Spud2nique had long since given up the fight.  We traded Okongwu to the Clippers for a couple of 2nd round picks and cash considerations.  The Clips waived him and he ended up playing for Shanghai - coming off the bench.
  • @Sothron, @thecampster@NBASupes formed an independent alliance.  For awhile, they were effective at slowing the SturtAITM down with insider rumors that corrupted his algorithms.  Supes' ego got out of control though...  He gained control of the alliance by breaking the confidence of one of his sources and name dropped Trae in a massive 7 team trade.  Once he had the power, he banned Camp and Soth after they refused to support his rumor that the NBA would be renaming itself the HBA after who he considers the "Greatest human being to ever dribble a basketball"...Al Horford.
  • @lethalweapon3, in his most honorable fashion, remained neutral in the war.  He tried in vain to start a new board and keep the spirit of the Squawk alive with game threads and even recaps, but the SturtAITM was so efficient that it started posting of all the game overviews and recaps BEFORE the games were even played, for all teams.
  • @TheNorthCydeRises chose to fight on his own.  Initially, he was effective at using a combination of logic, common sense, and irrefutable facts...but he was bribed into working for the SturtAITM who promised to sign Bruno Fernando to his superteam and start him for exactly one game.
  • @JTB and I fought bravely side by side for awhile, but we both have a penchant for long posts...so everybody just ignored us...to include the SturtAITM eventually.

If you're wondering, @Diesel sold out during the first wave.  He joined a damn Celtics message board and hid behind all of their championship banners.  Using an ECO symbol superimposed by a clover as his avatar,  he even changed his name to GreenDiesel.

I was sent back to stop the SturtAITM from corrupting the purity of Hawks basketball's newest fan, @Expedite, who at the time of my departure was was working on the ultimate counterargument to defeat it.

@marco102 @Spud2nique 

image.gif.5a1a85afb24dc3b155faefe4a817d88a.gif

image.gif.2fa3286c93b108624a68762802a5b55d.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, AHF said:

if you

But notice, I did not.

This is a similar but different discussion. I even happened to say that explicitly in a recent post that this is not a situation where players who weren't even off your 15-man are starting games, so it is "real Hawks."

In fact, if you happen to recall, I didn't even suggest last season that we only assess that team by the games in which the full rotation was healthy... would've been, what, 5 games in which that was the case?

(I realize a whole lot of light readers out there in the Squawk congregation didn't read for comprehension enough to catch that, but my goodness, I had to have put out a half dozen posts or more efforting to make that clear.)

This is rather a discussion of when one can reasonably begin to assess this rotation's performance together... and together being an operative term. Can't assess performance together when that hasn't even yet happened, let alone, happened in an adequate number of games to say they've had a chance to develop some degree of chemistry.

For those just catching up, I'll repeat that I feel those first 20 games did a lot of good, and that me personally, I felt that just 8-10 games with the "sixth starter" introduced into the 2022-23 rotation should be sufficient (... and I took that mainly from BogBog's previous experience in 2020-21 when he also missed ~25 games early season, and it took about that number for him to begin having impact).

But now, with these last 10 games being such a dumpster fire in terms of players being in and out, and in particular DJ who has never played beside BogBog, it is reasonable to me to put off assessing performance until we see these guys get back, and BogBog has at least a half dozen games with them.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Adding this to the stream of thought since it's fresh on my mind.... Cowboys coach illustrates what I'm getting at in terms of analyzing performance as opposed to analyzing one's win/loss or even point differential results... he spoke just yesterday in his presser to having developed his own scoring system (cued up to that question)...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Easy for you to say. YOU’RE THE COMMANDER!!! Sturt is IsquawkbotCp03….  

My agent is non too thrilled.

Keep it going, squd.  This may be the more palatable conversation on the whole site rn. 

I heard they putting an espresso machine in @benhillboy trailer since he's such a diva.  What you're agent think about that? 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Wretch said:

Dammit!  I deleted you during the edit North and forgot to put you back in!!!!  Dammit...hold on. lol

LOL...
*Edit - director's cut: " @TheNorthCydeRises chose to fight on his own.  Initially, he was effective at using a combination of logic, common sense, and irrefutable facts...but he was bribed into working for the SturtAITM who promised to sign Bruno Fernando to his superteam and start him for exactly one game."

LOL.   Fun fact about Bruno.

He leads the Rockets rotation this year in PER, WS48, and BPM

image.thumb.png.cfc7f649e2846ae951141b4d5dcca569.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Looks like he's doing pretty swell in that total shooting % and total rebound % as well.

Doesn't matter. We don't really have a need for a low post guy right now.

(Did I pick the right font color?)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Never cared for PER but the other 2 are impressive.  He’s not exactly a rotation player tho (132 minutes total this season).  I checked him out after a mention of the Hawks missing out on Bol Bol to take him.

The trade up obviously looks bad now that Bol is playing 27 minutes per and raising the floor on both ends but they both had excellent college ratings.  Bol a bit better being the clear anchor of an elite defense.  Bruno obviously had the more NBA ready build.

He’s keeping himself in the league  being a good teammate and worker, which is commendable.  Still can’t justify giving him meaningful minutes with Sengun, Smith, and Garuba.

• Premium Member

Truth is, Bruno was out until just recently. So his numbers are likely to be inflated in some ways for now. Give it a month, and check back.

And, there are normally meaningful minutes for the first 4 low post guys on any given team. I suspect those minutes are going to grow as he gets farther out from his injury.

On 12/16/2022 at 12:14 PM, Wretch said:

Ya'll need to stop playing with @sturt!  Many Squawkers don't realize this, but he's not a living person.  He's actually an AI generated personality that's been seeded with all of our posts over the past 2+ decades.  The more you interact with him like this, the smarter you make him...he's going to conquer the Squawk...then RealGM...then ESPN.  He'll have full control of the media, the arenas, and the NBA shortly after that.  He's going to create an expansion team in Area 51 and use quantum computing to create the ultimate super team. 

I would know. I was there... {queue the Terminator Theme}

KG's humor died that very day...

Not long after that, everyone drifted away or was assimilated by the SturtAITM ...starting with @JeffS17 and @macdaddy who started this whole thing by trading posts with him on this very thread.

• @TheNorthCydeRises chose to fight on his own.  Initially, he was effective at using a combination of logic, common sense, and irrefutable facts...but he was bribed into working for the SturtAITM who promised to sign Bruno Fernando to his superteam and start him for exactly one game.
  • @JTB and I fought bravely side by side for awhile, but we both have a penchant for long posts...so everybody just ignored us...to include the SturtAITM eventually.

I was sent back to stop the SturtAITM from corrupting the purity of Hawks basketball's newest fan, @Expedite, who at the time of my departure was was working on the ultimate counterargument to defeat it.

All things I've long suspected!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, sturt said:

But notice, I did not.

This is a similar but different discussion. I even happened to say that explicitly in a recent post that this is not a situation where players who weren't even off your 15-man are starting games, so it is "real Hawks."

In fact, if you happen to recall, I didn't even suggest last season that we only assess that team by the games in which the full rotation was healthy... would've been, what, 5 games in which that was the case?

(I realize a whole lot of light readers out there in the Squawk congregation didn't read for comprehension enough to catch that, but my goodness, I had to have put out a half dozen posts or more efforting to make that clear.)

This is rather a discussion of when one can reasonably begin to assess this rotation's performance together... and together being an operative term. Can't assess performance together when that hasn't even yet happened, let alone, happened in an adequate number of games to say they've had a chance to develop some degree of chemistry.

For those just catching up, I'll repeat that I feel those first 20 games did a lot of good, and that me personally, I felt that just 8-10 games with the "sixth starter" introduced into the 2022-23 rotation should be sufficient (... and I took that mainly from BogBog's previous experience in 2020-21 when he also missed ~25 games early season, and it took about that number for him to begin having impact).

But now, with these last 10 games being such a dumpster fire in terms of players being in and out, and in particular DJ who has never played beside BogBog, it is reasonable to me to put off assessing performance until we see these guys get back, and BogBog has at least a half dozen games with them.

I disagree with your methodology last year.  I pointed out all the reasons why last year I found the “games starting a g-league player” to be less meaningful than other criteria like minutes played by gleague players and even more so looking more deeply at which players were missing (using the Bulls as an example of a team that was more impacted than we were by injuries over the course of the season even if they didn’t start as many g-leaguers).  I don’t believe you captured the “real” Hawks at all the way you did it.  Even if the methodology was fine, you can’t compare that % against the normal winning % of other teams (ie if you looked at the winning % of all teams in games in which they didn’t start a gleaguer that would be the way to look at it assuming you buy into the basic idea).

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, AHF said:

I disagree with your methodology last year.

You can't really think I so love debate that I'm going to go there, can you? I've written too much, and that discussion is too dated, and life is too short. 🙂

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Why if I didn't know any better, I'd say those look like "irrefutable facts..." LOLOLOL....!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm ready to give my conviction after 25 (actually 32) games.  I'm done with Nate.  Done with the lack of creativity to get Trae and DM going.  Done with the iso offense down the stretch.  Done with the "paint by numbers" rotation where guys come in and out on schedule regardless of how hot or cold people are.  Done with the "your turn, my turn" offense the Hawks run too much of the time.  Done with Nate putting people in position to fail (putting Bogi in for the final defensive possession is an example of this).

I don't see any creativity.  Too many head scratching moves that are obvious mistakes even to fans like me who are just fans and not true students of the game.  Nate shouldn't have to hear from people like me that you ride a hot hand or that you switch offense for defense or how to use screens, etc.

I hope Landry Fields has his short list of candidates and is ready to pull the trigger before the end of the season.

impressed.gif&ehk=n7GqfXvrElROYB1a3XrWyX

• Like 2