• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Nets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Let's just leave DJM out of the play because 6'10 Ben Simmons is draped on him like a coat.   They probably have Royce Oneal on Bogi.  A Holiday with Kyrie.. and Collins and Nick out there together and JJ gets the pleasure of having to pass over KD....

Even if we get the ball in, they have their best defenders in the game. 

Wait... did we NOT score 107 points on this supposed god-like defense? And you say we couldn't score 2 more out of a timeout? 

I'm done with this. Whatever. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That's if you can inbound the ball and get it cleanly to the middle.   Like I have asked, who is inbounding and who are they throwing it to...

It's easier to deal with a defense in transition that is out of sorts than to deal with a set defense.   

Diesel . . you talk like the Nets are the 2004 Pistons.   Brooklyn is an improved defensive team, but they're not a lockdown defensive team.

In that situation, I personally like the option of trying to get the ball to Collins in the paint.  With that amount of time left, you literally have time to take 3 dribbles, pass it, and have someone shoot it.  You have to trust that the coaches can come up with a great inbounds play.

We've seen them do it twice.  Why not trust them a 3rd time?

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Diesel, you are just wrong on this one and it isn't even close. Literally everyone I know that watched that game plus everyone here on the Squawk and on the internet at large agrees Nate should have called the timeout. Even our entire announcing crew said he should have called the time out. 

The video speaks for itself.   Cleveland has better offensive players than we had tonight and they were pummeled.   Simmons was a key to every defensive play.   That's who you wanted on the floor with our 4 seconds... with a set defense. 

Watch the 34 second mark of the video and see what the inbound defense looks like. 

4 seconds against their set defense?

Nah...   This is not me making excuses for Nate... I said it before they inbounded the ball... we had no Simmons going the other way... it's a chance. 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Wait... did we NOT score 107 points on this supposed god-like defense? And you say we couldn't score 2 more out of a timeout? 

I'm done with this. Whatever. 

Your play in the course of the game.. is different than getting up for 1 defensive stand.   Please be done. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The video speaks for itself.   Cleveland has better offensive players than we had tonight and they were pummeled.   Simmons was a key to every defensive play.   That's who you wanted on the floor with our 4 seconds... with a set defense. 

Watch the 34 second mark of the video and see what the inbound defense looks like. 

4 seconds against their set defense?

Nah...   This is not me making excuses for Nate... I said it before they inbounded the ball... we had no Simmons going the other way... it's a chance. 

You force the Nets to defend in the paint and at the rim, not a heave from 3, particularly with the Nets in the penalty.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Our missed free throws is more at fault for this lost.   We missed 7 of 22 Free throws....  That's 32%.

Now if the Refs aren't calling fouls...  They had some very bad missed calls on JC...  Then we have to do better than we did from the line. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You force the Nets to defend in the paint and at the rim, not a heave from 3, particularly with the Nets in the penalty.

Did we not do that?

Murray put up a good shot.  He was fouled and we didn't get the call.   Many of you think it's easy to get the ball inbounded and get to the paint.   Have you been watching the Hawks?  Even on AJ's game winner against the Bulls, the degree of difficulty on the catch and shot was very high.   It wasn't even the play we were going to run.   And the Bulls don't really play defense. 

You're asking a lot with the timeout and a long defensive team.

• Premium Member

Amidsts all the bickering back and fourth...

I applaud our guys tonight.   No Moral victory... but none of us here thought that they would bring that kind of game to the Nets!!

The refs were horrible. 

The Third quarter was bad.

But it was good to see the level of Fight we had!

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Diesel said:

If it were any defense... sure.   If it were the Bulls defense.. Hell yeah.  But you're talking about the Nets.   They have 4 guys over 6'9.   They are long and agile.  They have prided themselves on defense over this streak.  

Look past the textbook answer and look at what's on the court.   You're going to let long monsters back in the game.   A few plays ago, they got us with a 24 second clock violation.   Wonder how??  And you want to challenge them to play defense for 4 seconds.   Come on man.

Here's the thing dude...  You're absolutely right about the call vs. the guys presently on the court.  No question it's better to attack the offensive team on the floor vs. what they'd be bringing out.  The problem is time.  This isn't a mechanical answer.  There's not enough time to dribble over half court and get a clean look.  Murray took that heave with like 1.5 seconds on the clock over two outstretched arms.  That's a just a HORRIBLE, low-percentage shot and the wrong call vs. TWO attempts to inbound it through a 7 footer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2