• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

52 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I'm sooo disinterested in locking this thread. As hard as it is in Insider Country, I'm going to ask all posters in here to simply focus on whatever Hawks/NBA information is shared, however valid, rather than conjecturing and speculating about what they think a contributor's ulterior motives are. Predicting what the Insider Squawkers are up to on the Inside, or openly questioning just how Inside they are, is not what this thread is for.

~lw3

I’m sorry lethal, I’m with you 99% of the time but if we can’t shoot the ish in a thread then wtf. Y’all woke up strict today. Lol.

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

He's a really good player. But he isnt a Giannis, LeBron type generational player or anything. People always underestimate the importance of depth, and getting value out of rookie contracts. If all you have on your bench are cheap vets like Justin Holliday, then you have to run your starters ragged. Also, Brown had an absolutely brutal year shooting the three at .335. 

All fair.  Truthfully, I'm fine with simple organic growth and allowing CQS to install his stuff.  Those will elevate us significantly, imho.  No need for major additions.

I should stay true to my feewings. 😑

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A SnT next offseason is more palatable: Hawks will still have a lot of work to do to clear salary to sign him has a FA if Boston refuses to pay ball in a SnT. If this is the case then Bey and OO should not be early extended this offseason to keep their capholds as small as possible.

Here's the problem with that approach, what if he's available now and telling Boston he wants to come to ATL?  Those feelings and circumstances can change in a year.  Either way if I'm the Hawks FO and realize he's the most attainable All NBA talent for my franchise my #1 goal is acquiring him. I'm not going to wait for any party to potentially change their mind and hope the deal gets done a year down the road.  

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

what if he's available now and telling Boston he wants to come to ATL? 

Right now, he's under contract, it wouldn't matter if he wanted to come to Atlanta.   More likely is Boston would want to move him to avoid paying the supermax. 

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Here's the problem with that approach, what if he's available now and telling Boston he wants to come to ATL?  Those feelings and circumstances can change in a year.  Either way if I'm the Hawks FO and realize he's the most attainable All NBA talent for my franchise my #1 goal is acquiring him. I'm not going to wait for any party to potentially change their mind and hope the deal gets done a year down the road.  

I'm glad you said this:  We trade for him now on is expiring deal giving up a ton of assets in the process.

He doesn't sign his extension within 6 months saying he wants to experience free agency and being courted by other teams.  He's now an UFA at the end of next season. He decides to sign elsewhere! What then?

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm glad you said this:  We trade for him now on is expiring deal giving up a ton of assets in the process.

He doesn't sign his extension within 6 months saying he wants to experience free agency and being courted by other teams.  He's now an UFA at the end of next season. He decides to sign elsewhere! What then?

I'm assuming you're saying he couldn't extend his contract as part of a deal this offseason?  There is always going to be risk in an acquisition like this.  They would have had those conversations leading up to the deal and get as comfortable as they can. 

To get a 2nd team All NBA talent, you might be willing to take that risk.  Atlanta doesn't get many opportunities to acquire a 2nd team All NBA guy in his prime.  Has it ever happened?  If they decide we're going to go all in, I would understand why.  

28 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Right now, he's under contract, it wouldn't matter if he wanted to come to Atlanta.   More likely is Boston would want to move him to avoid paying the supermax. 

Very possible.  But it's also possible he is demanding it behind the scenes.  You are right though, it may be Boston avoiding a supermax deal.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is a risk... seriously.  It's the same risk we have with DJM.   So for grins, let's say Boston does the JB for JC, OO, and #15 pick in the draft deal on draft night. 

Then in 6 months.. I guess Jan is a good time.. we offer him an extension... and he says No... I am going to test the waters.  We could either keep him or trade him for scraps to another contender... but he will be a bigger villain than Danny Manning if he did that to his hometown team.  Because at that point, it's not really about money. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Maybe it's like the lottery.  'Member how the league had to let a 3rd party in to verify the sausage was being made properly. 

Maybe yall should let a civilian in on the 'insider' thread so they can be like "yeah them dudes aint crazy".

I nominate @Spud2nique as the representative of the proletariat.

🤓

I Second That GIFs | Tenor

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

I bounced off the guys what I heard about Dre and Coach having friction when he first got here.  Coach wanted more/different out of Dre, Dre took it critical.  Soth had heard similar, Supes rejected it out of hand.  I waited.  Found out that though true, it was not as "prominent" as the source made it out to be.  I sat on it so as to not rouse the board.

can you provide more information on this little tidbit?

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't consider guys still on rookie contracts and who haven't sign rookie extensions 'vets'.  That's just me.

No, it's not only you, smarty pants, but look around... there's a wide range of definitions of that term when you get away from the legal domain. Google it. Or, just be content to know that some consider anyone who isn't a rookie... not "rookie contract," but first year player... a veteran. But I also found some who take a narrower view, and say you really don't become a veteran until you've got about 10 years in the league.