• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I'd say get off your high horse.  Brad does pretty well for what he is.  

I'm sure you would. But that would be misinformed, at least in this case. The criticism was about the guest, not about Brad. I suppose you could have taken it that I was dissing Brad for inviting the guy, but if so, I should have been more clear then. I appreciate how much work it is to put podcasts together, so it's fine that Brad pulls in whoever he can possibly pull in that has any relevance whatsoever. All I was commenting on was that this guest doesn't move the needle as having insight.

(I would say "get off your high horse" but again, I have to grant room for the possibility I should have written more words than I did... though, of course, you get knocked around here for more words, too... 😄😄😄 )

And too... I've never felt it was right to diss Brad for what Brad does. If you want to make a valid criticism of me personally, you'll need to diss me for FANS who assign to Brad some kind of insider status. He doesn't even make those claims (as far as I've ever been aware), so why do fans do that?

(I can't recall if that group of fans includes you or not, and I don't really have time to go look it up... but even if I did, it's not that important anyway, right?)

1 hour ago, JTB said:

I’m stuck on the Zion Williamson rumor.

lol I know I know he’s too risky. But, but, but what if it’s a blessing in disguise for our hawks and suddenly we get a young healthy version of Zion???

what would it take to make anyone gamble on bringing or trading for Zion Williamson? 

- new medical staff ? 
- deeper roster ?

what if Stan Gundys conversation with Coach K was right and the best way to keep zion healthy is full scrimmages in practice and allowing him to actually play in the games instead of listening to the doctors about him not being healthy enough to play?…maybe zion ass just need to simply play and not be held back for every little medical issue he may have.

Skrippers in Atlanta will leave Zion skinny and penniless.  Seems impossible but they go that hard, they putting out murder hits on each other and sh#t.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LucastheThird said:

I'm still fully on the Zion trade train. The kid is a star and just needs to play basketball. 

I'll say this much. The off the court is totally overblown. Yes, he has a harem of messy golddiggers. Ok, so have many NBA players. It's just a story because of social media, and people like to pile on when your effort is in question. 

Edited by bleachkit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Also from Fischer's article:

Two names to keep an eye on in Phoenix’s trade pursuits: Atlanta Hawks forward John Collins and Boston Celtics guard Malcolm Brogdon. The Suns acquiring either of those veterans might require a third team to accept Paul’s outgoing salary — such as the Houston Rockets with their $60 million of cap space and counting — but Brogdon and Collins are a pair of players Phoenix has registered interest in during trade conversations with Boston and Atlanta, respectively, that date back to the trade deadline, sources said. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

a third team to accept Paul’s outgoing salary — such as the Houston Rockets with their $60 million of cap space and counting

This is the story of this off-season that no one seems to be talking about. Yet.

There's only so much cap space left, and it's divided among a small handful of teams.

Going to be a lot of players accepting MLE money.

To the point here.... going to be few trades that can go through at all that are not regular trade exception kind-of trades.

Houston's in the catbird's seat more than anyone.

26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Also from Fischer's article:

Two names to keep an eye on in Phoenix’s trade pursuits: Atlanta Hawks forward John Collins and Boston Celtics guard Malcolm Brogdon. The Suns acquiring either of those veterans might require a third team to accept Paul’s outgoing salary — such as the Houston Rockets with their $60 million of cap space and counting — but Brogdon and Collins are a pair of players Phoenix has registered interest in during trade conversations with Boston and Atlanta, respectively, that date back to the trade deadline, sources said. 

Yeah definitely going to need a 3rd team because Phoenix ain’t got nooooothing on that roster after the KD trade.

56 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Skrippers in Atlanta will leave Zion skinny and penniless.  Seems impossible but they go that hard, they putting out murder hits on each other and sh#t.

All I’m seeing here is that strippers would leave Zion at a good playing weight and motivated to earn a bigger payday as he works toward his next contract. 
Win-win-win. 
sign me up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, sturt said:

I'm sure you would. But that would be misinformed, at least in this case. The criticism was about the guest, not about Brad. I suppose you could have taken it that I was dissing Brad for inviting the guy, but if so, I should have been more clear then. I appreciate how much work it is to put podcasts together, so it's fine that Brad pulls in whoever he can possibly pull in that has any relevance whatsoever. All I was commenting on was that this guest doesn't move the needle as having insight.

(I would say "get off your high horse" but again, I have to grant room for the possibility I should have written more words than I did... though, of course, you get knocked around here for more words, too... 😄😄😄 )

And too... I've never felt it was right to diss Brad for what Brad does. If you want to make a valid criticism of me personally, you'll need to diss me for FANS who assign to Brad some kind of insider status. He doesn't even make those claims (as far as I've ever been aware), so why do fans do that?

(I can't recall if that group of fans includes you or not, and I don't really have time to go look it up... but even if I did, it's not that important anyway, right?)

This isn't at least a veiled shot at Brad?  "why should I care what he thinks... as Brad evidently thinks I should."  Besides I originally posted a message from Jason Walker sharing his thought, to me it was more about Jason's statement.  

Also, "I'd say you should get off your high horse." registers pretty low on the diss scale.  Sounds almost like "Pardon me will you pass the Grey Poupon?" 

As far as if Brad is an "insider" I think the fact that he doesn't focus on insider talk makes it almost irrelevant.  Where there is some relevance is that he is credentialed so he has access that an average fan does not.  To me that means that he probably has more of an ear to the ground than an average poster on Hawksquawk.  I'm not ever interested in his breakdown of game recaps, but looking ahead to the offseason I'm curious in what he focuses on because it gives some idea of what to expect.  It's definitely far from the whole enchilada, but just a bit of perspective from a credentialed media person who follows the team very closely.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

John Collins main problem seems to be Clint Capela.  Apparently they just don't fit together well.  There have been rumors that both players are on the trade block.  

JC can't get up close to the rim, where he is at his best, because CC is there  CC can't play deep because he can't shoot from there.  He has trouble shooting from in close.  He's there because he's a really, really great rebounder.

The big question:  Would CC play differently if JC were gone?  No!  Would JC play differently if CC was gone?  Yes!  Then, the big problem becomes, if the Hawks trade Clint Capela, who do they get to replace him?  If 0017 moves to the starting center post, who replaces 0017 as the back-up center?  

Next Thursday is draft day.  Could be a time of action by the Hawks.  Trade rumors abound, centered around this draft.  What ever happens, by Friday we hope to have a clearer picture of the roster for the upcoming season!

:smug:

Lively if we cant trade for that Hornets center? lol

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

And any trade for Siakam NOT involving DJM, Hawks have to ask themselves are they willing to pay $35M + each for a “big 3” of Trae / DJM / Siakam next summer.

And there’s no way I’d do that. It’s not a championship core imo. 

A large number of the moving players are people we talked about at the trade deadline.  Some of these rumors are just recycled but there's a good reason for that.

In many cases, trades that couldn't be finalized at the deadline will be able to be when team caps change after June 30th. So a number of the deals you'll see will be announced draft night but won't be finalized until after the moratorium ends.

Trades finalized before June 30th but after the last day of the regular season count toward the next season's cap, not the previous. Although still within the 2022/23 season, you cannot trade to avoid the salary tax after your season ends. So there is a bit of freedom there. You can trade with an eye forward on your next cap/tax threshold, not the current.

Key dates before season starts: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/04/key-2023-nba-offseason-dates-deadlines.html

June 18

• Latest possible end date for NBA Finals.

June 22

• NBA draft day.

June 29

• Last day for decisions on player, team, and early termination options
    • Note: Certain contracts will require earlier decisions.
  • Last day for teams to make qualifying offers to players eligible for restricted free agency.

June 30

July 1

• Official start of the 2023/24 NBA league year.
  • Moratorium period begins.
  • Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet.
  • Teams can begin signing players to rookie scale contracts, minimum salary contracts, and two-way contracts.
  • Teams can begin exercising the third- or fourth-year team options for 2024/25 on rookie scale contracts.

July 6

• Moratorium period ends (11:01 am CT)
  • Teams can begin officially signing players, extending players, and completing trades (11:01 am CT).
  • The 24-hour period for matching an RFA offer sheet signed during the moratorium begins (11:01 am CT).

July 7-17

• Las Vegas Summer League.

July 13

• Last day for teams to unilaterally withdraw qualifying offers to restricted free agents.

August 31

• Last day for teams to waive players and apply the stretch provision to their 2023/24 salaries.

September 5

• Last day for teams to issue required tenders to unsigned second-round picks; those players become free agents on September 6 if not tendered.

Late September (specific dates TBA)

• Training camps open.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3