• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Please tell me that’s not cagey in the sac with time to burn 🔥.

Nah, the prevailing fake rumor we're going with is its stu even though it's a black guy.

Also, hearing he's not a fan makes me kinda salty.  Like, I can call us slack-jawed yokels but I don't want no magics fan calling us slack-jawed yokels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

years

Who said "years?"

13 hours ago, sturt said:

a big chunk of a season

*sigh*

And btw... Dre was out for the most part after 20 games. Cam, after 30.

The significant, but inconvenient, fact is that the turnaround began with game 35... "big chunk" having been completed/achieved and past tense for most of the players... and with the appointment of Demon Nate.

And and btw... BogBog finally got back on the floor that same game, but it wasn't until his 7th game back that he actually was productive, and it took him another 7 games beyond that to actually start having some consistently good games.

They call it conventional wisdom because it's both conventional.... and it's wisdom.

• Premium Member

Just getting back to some substance for conversation... this was said about 3 weeks ago, and once DEN has the parade that Joker is so disappointed he has to attend 😄😄😄, I say the flood gates begin to open... though, probably not for us, because any trade partners are more likely gonna wanna see who is left on the board at #15 before they swing a deal...

On 5/26/2023 at 3:02 PM, thecampster said:

Hawks are interested in trading out of the 15th pick to combine with a vet for a roster upgrade. They are not convinced the 15th pick can help them in the next 2 seasons. If no one intrigues them at 15, they may trade it for future picks to make up for what they've traded away beyond this year.

Quinn is valuing the ability to guard 3 positions to stop teams from hunting players in switches. Player movement will center around moving players who can't guard 3 positions. Quinn feels Trae turns a mediocre offensive player into a functional offensive player. Turns good into great.  He's willing to downgrade offense to get more complete defensive players around Trae.

Specific players on the roster have been given marching orders to work on their perimeter defense if they want the minutes they think they deserve. Bigs need to be able to guard down on the perimeter. Smaller players need to get better at dig downs and doubles in the post.

Offseason players being targeted will be targeted because they can do the above and cause changes of possession (turnovers and blocks) as well as can create longer clocks.  This is the interesting thing I was told.  It was how quick other teams possessions were against us. He wants opposing offenses to have to work for their scores to slow momentum.

I remain steadfast. Patrick Williams is a name worth keeping in-mind based on the parameters described here.

11 minutes ago, sturt said:

Who said "years?"

*sigh*

And btw... Dre was out for the most part after 20 games. Cam, after 30.

The significant, but inconvenient, fact is that the turnaround began with game 35... "big chunk" having been completed/achieved and past tense for most of the players... and with the appointment of Demon Nate.

And and btw... BogBog finally got back on the floor that same game, but it wasn't until his 7th game back that he actually was productive, and it took him another 7 games beyond that to actually start having some consistently good games.

They call it conventional wisdom because it's both conventional.... and it's wisdom.

So, if that's what you mean that we can't afford half a season for chemistry to develop, I would say it would be worth the wait.  Provided you obtain the right personnel that could develop into a group that wins 27-11 games during the back half of the season and into the playoffs.  

I do reject the idea that it would even need to talk half a season with the right group.  Just like Saddiq came in and helped immediately change our bench from atrocious to one of the best bench units in the league statistically.  

54 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

Who could afford him, really, considering how much $$$ he makes and how many games he has played since he came into the NBA?

:ahf:

3 hours ago, Wretch said:

He is either a Hawks fan or he's done his research...either way, I have zero doubt he has been in here.  lol

It’s that givemeicetrae guy. I know it I asked him and he slighted me. Nobody really does that to me here.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Literally every word he spoke and expression he made was squawkish.  You have to listen, bro. It's classic. 

Well you told me a long time ago not to click on anything so you’ve honestly scared me into never clicking on $hit :laugh1: I blame this on you. 

So what, watch this and not anymore or are we good with this guy, you ain’t him are you cagey? I mean, I would just like to know :er:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

if that's what you mean that we can't afford half a season for chemistry to develop

But that's not what I said. That's an overstatement.

It's a factor in the assessment for any given trade is what I mean. And to illustrate the point, I envisioned making a trade that is 100% even... both sides getting equivalent overall talent at the same position... that, I said, is a net negative because you've set yourself back for x-number of games in which the new guy will be getting acclimated, when you could have eliminated that setback by not making the deal at all.

That, then, suggests that when you contemplate the trade, it's not good enough to say "well, it's a 50/50 proposition whether we're any better overall, but why not?" That's why not. If it's 50/50, we're setting ourselves up for added difficulty in winning some unknown number of games.

Intelligent minds can differ, but me, I'd put the round number at 66/34 proposition--that the preponderance of the evidence supports that we'll be better off overall by that margin--before I pull the lever on a given trade.

So, can we "afford" a given trade? Is a given trade worth it? We can and it is... to the extent that we have reason for confidence that it will be a net positive... and specific to our roster at this juncture, a "net positive" for 2023-24. No more KVon deals where a positive benefit doesn't even arise until later.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Just like Saddiq came in and immediately

Define "immediately."

Took a couple of games to get acclimated, and for those first 14 of the 24 he played, he was hit-and-miss. (Go look at his stats before you argue otherwise.)

Hit his stride and finished the season strong, though.

Definitely worth it.

Here's the other thing with that... it matters a whole lot more when we're talking about the starting 5 than those coming off the bench... and even among those on the bench, it matters more that you have a backcourt guy and a frontcourt guy that you know what you're getting. It's why BogBog being out, or even just not playing full speed, has regularly been so crippling. It's why when you lose Gallo, you almost have to have a big slide in and step up his game so that you have some viable other low post option.