• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Evan, sorry bud... while I appreciate you didn't steal Horsewind's report and pretend it to be your own... or even do the ol' Chris Kirschner "I can confirm X" thing... you're not getting brownie points here as you try to use Twitter to get your name out there more and get hired somewhere... no, you have to go through the grind like everyone else, and actually report a couple of things that end up proving to be legit.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Wretch said:

I had no faith in that team and zero expectations starting the 2015 season - probably the lowest of low points for me as a Hawks fan.  As the team proved me wrong, I consistently maintained that Korver was the key.  It was a total team effort, but offensively...his shooting took us to that next level.  Everyone on the floor could shoot, but KK could REALLY shoot and stretch the defense.  

He's the kind of shooter I absolutely pine for in our current starting lineup. 😭

He really was.

But/and, we do have a player in our rotation who is capable of Korver-like production. And one can make the argument that, when we've been exceptional, it's been when he was exceptional... that he is a difference maker.

If you ask me, that's why the FO decided to give him an extension (... which blew my mind at the time, and maybe others, too).

2023-06-16_12-59-08.png

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Diesel said:

I don't think Quin has the power on player acquisition.  I do think he is consulted but I don't think he has any say. 

Fields latest on his collaboration with Quin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Fields latest on his collaboration with Quin:

Not to make Jay even edgier with me than she's already been lately... but... pardon the observation, @Diesel was speaking to player acquisition, and suggesting that he doesn't believe Quin actually gets any say... whereas this part of Landry's presser is about, as the header suggests, current players and whether to keep or not keep them. Related, sure, but not the same thing.

But here's a takeaway from earlier in that presser, potentially... not necessarily new, but reaffirming what we've heard... Landry is big on delegation, and big on listening to other voices in the room (, which is a good thing since the owner likes diversity and inclusivity, and it had been insinuated that Schlenk was pushed aside largely because he wasn't listening to the other voices in the room).

At the same time, Landry seems to feel it important with regularity to emphasize that the final decision is his. And this presser was no exception. I get the reason he would want to tamp down the perception that he's a puppet... none of us would ever like that perception being out there.

Me, I'm just wanting to believe that, given truth serum, Landry would reveal that there's been an explicit conversation (or, better, actual wording in the head coach's contract) that established that there's an expectation that Landry's final decision has to weigh heavily what the highly-regarded veteran head coach wants to see happen.

Can't say if that's happened with any certainty. Can't say it hasn't. But sure hope it has. We'll never know until maybe years after Quin Snyder or Landry Fields are not ATL employees any longer, at best.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Spud the real insider 🤫💯 

@ShooterSays win column or … :huh: :batman:

IMG_8313.jpeg

Boston should be paying attention to what's happening in Washington and the risks of giving a player a super max. Player gets his money and then bolts. Different situations obviously, but there are some red flags there.

image.png.9d061ed416a1a5016ee8a841a3895735.png

Toronto feels like the team to watch for 7. Hali / Mathurin / OG / Turner has some potential.

Rumor season is fun! LOL

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Oh, I got one folx.  Worst trade proposal candidate.  Basically..

Trae for Herro, Robinson, and 1 FRP

Let it sink in.... 

me and @JayBirdHawk doing the heavy lifting over there defending Hawks players honor.

basically over here I rip on the Hawks and over there I rip on any who dares rip on the Hawks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ESPN has listed 5 trades for Zion behind their paywall.

One is Williamson & Hayes for JC, OO, 1st from Atl, and Sac 1st Atl has. 

Lets hear it... lol

Edited by terrell
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

25 minutes ago, Diesel said:

since we've gotten Landry, your picture has said... Landry must be a puppet.  Landry doesn't make decisions.

Diesel (... and perhaps others?)... stop reading half my posts and assuming you got it... because, all due respect, you evidently have not  gotten it.

First, what I said here today is...

1 hour ago, sturt said:

I get the reason he would want to tamp down the perception that he's a puppet... none of us would ever like that perception being out there.

What I said is what I said. What you seemingly read into what I said here is that Landry is  a puppet.

Nahbabanah.

The premise is valid... there are those who perceive the youngest GM in the league is a puppet of the owner, or if not the owner directly, then the owner's son... or at least there was when he was first hired. That's known. That's not theory.

That perception probably has eroded some, if not a lot. And the comment here is simply that, like any of us, Landry wants that perception to be eliminated, hence his sliding in the "it's my decision" assertion into pressers where player acquisition is a topic.

Where's your problem with that? Whatever problem you might have, it's a function of you reading into my thinking something that isn't there.

But, if you ask me straight up, then... do I consider Landry Fields a "puppet" nonetheless?

A "puppet" in the sense that someone else is telling him what to do? No, no, no. No.

A "puppet" in the sense that he's effectively the chairman of the committee? Well, yeah, but that's not a puppet, then.

Look. I don't make the rules, but I know what they are and don't pretend they don't exist... and similarly, I don't put words in Tony Ressler's mouth, but I know what they've been, and don't pretend that they don't exist.

Tony Ressler made clear to Jeff Schultz that Schlenk wasn't being adequately democratic in decision-making to the owner's satisfaction. But I'm the fool for believing that what's good for the goose is good for the gander? What changed? Hell, yes. I mean, really, educate me.... how does it make any sense to believe Landry isn't being expected to be what his predecessor was not?

(Then, there's a whole other part to the conversation that I'm not going to wade into, but there's basis for concluding the owner likes it this way because it allows him to seem to be giving power to his basketball ops people, but in reality, he gets to impose influence on the bigger, more divisive decisions, quietly behind closed doors. As Schlenk became more seasoned, and had more legitimate gravity for decisions, it made it problematic for Ressler to impose influence without it coming to light.)

I don't pretend to know what I can't know. But I will suggest that Landry's not made any major decision purely on his own. That is antithetical to why his predecessor was let go, as well as antithetical to how Landry himself has described the process in the lead-up to any major decision thus far. Consistent with that, we have his words in his pre-draft presser, where he makes clear that him, Kyle and Quin have been having active conversations about how the talents of current players might be enhanced through different strategies... he said he appreciates seeing things through the lens of the coach.

Where you and others got hostile toward me, as I recall, was my insistence that your celebrating what a great GM Landry already is was not unlike celebrating you for knowing your multiplication tables.

There are decisions that maybe not completely, but almost, make themselves. Trading 5 2nd rounders for a real vet asset who could plausibly fill a real need for the team this past season was one of those. Not one of us, to my knowledge, ever whined about that deal, but rather, practically all of us thought it was a slam dunk deal for the good guys.

If you celebrate me for knowing my multiplication tables... that's actually a little disrespectful, as-if that's some great achievement. It would be if I were 7 or 8. But I'm not 7 or 8. I'm an adult.

Celebrate my achievements that actually are admirable. Be patient. Wait. Eventually, I might achieve something that deserves celebration. Don't be so anxious to celebrate me that, instead, you're insinuating that you have low expectations of me.

Landry, same.

I'll finish with this point... it's one always avoided it seems, but I've consistently said from early on that I'm inclined to believe a Stanford guy probably is smarter than me and most... so I've believed that, long-term, Landry could turn out to be one of the best GMs we've had.

I'm further convinced of that, having watched this video..

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Had a meeting today: Tax is not something we are scared of, but you go into it when you believe you have a chance to do something because it's very difficult to get out of. It's not a 1 year '?????'. New CBA creates more punitive punishment for spending that restricts trades, exceptions, etc. More Big 2s, less Big 3s. The next 2 offseasons will be the most interesting in a long time because of new CBA rules and more player movement. New CBA is about spreading parity.

[This doesn't sound like they'll be interested in paying the tax to me]

Me either.

So, we don't believe we have a chance to do something, I suppose.

This team's leadership apparently is settling for the imagery of ambition. Not actual ambition.

Welcome back to the hamster wheel, everyone.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, sturt said:

Me either.

So, we don't believe we have a chance to do something, I suppose.

Welcome back to the hamster wheel, everyone.

I can understand potentially the view that we are already on the hamster wheel with a team that hovers around .500 and they are willing to pay the tax for a move they think will get us off the hamster wheel.  Not sure if Quin and Landry feel that way but I am sure some of our posters who are not sky high on this team right now would concur with it.

• Like 1