• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I can understand potentially the view that we are already on the hamster wheel with a team that hovers around .500 and they are willing to pay the tax for a move they think will get us off the hamster wheel.  Not sure if Quin and Landry feel that way but I am sure some of our posters who are not sky high on this team right now would concur with it.

My post referred to the people in charge, not those of us who are mere onlookers (of course).

But okay, let's talk about onlookers... it's this simple... if we're already on the hamster wheel, then why aren't you all avidly arguing for a new rebuild? We're not going to get better trying to win trades when we have no draft capital or cap space to use that otherwise might add to and be net-positives for the talent inventory. Any trade we make, all things being equal will end in, well, all things being equal... everyone else trading existing talent is acting in their own best interests as much as we are ours, and failing some extraordinary capacity to buy low on stocks that will exponentially grow in value (Jerry West, you wanna a GM job?)... it's hamster wheel city.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Collins and the No. 15 pick in the draft with the Mavericks for the No. 10 pick and Dāvis Bertāns. Those talks did not develop very far, sources said, and Dallas indicated it would be more willing to consider that deal if Hawks center Clint Capela was the returning player from Atlanta.

Trading Cap to move up 5 spots feels…steep. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

*sigh*

What Fischer said:

2023-06-16_19-03-20.png

What Hoops Rumors said Fischer said:

2023-06-16_19-00-29.png

"Surely intends" is what you write when you're offering the conclusion you think "surely" makes sense.

"Are expected" is what you write when you're relaying intel from someone who should have some actual first-hand insight.

I don't care. It's not that hard to be precise with your words. Lazy interpretation is the essence of silly season.

Wanna know another essence of silly season? Here ya go...

2023-06-16_15-33-05.png

2023-06-16_15-18-10.png

So, in the space of three days, depending on who you're relying on for your info, the Warriors are trading up. No, they're staying at 19. No, they're trading back... or trading out entirely.

*sigh*

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

In Atlanta, the Hawks will continue to explore trade scenarios for Collins. That has so far included preliminary talks with Dallas about swapping Collins and the No. 15 pick in the draft with the Mavericks for the No. 10 pick and Dāvis Bertāns. Those talks did not develop very far, sources said, and Dallas indicated it would be more willing to consider that deal if Hawks center Clint Capela was the returning player from Atlanta.

Maybe the Hawks end up trading down from No. 15 — as opposed to the aforementioned scenario with Dallas — in order to move Collins. The Hawks have told opposing teams Atlanta is open to conversations about all of its roster outside of Trae Young, league sources told Yahoo Sports. That does not mean the Hawks are actively shopping Dejounte Murray, whom the franchise sent three first-round picks to acquire from San Antonio last offseason, because Murray, in that respect, would cost quite a lot for Atlanta to part with. The Hawks are valuing their players in some form of tier structure, sources said, where Murray stands in his own realm after Young. Murray will be an interesting early example to see if he considers signing an extension this offseason under the more lucrative structure available in this new CBA, which will now allow Murray to receive a first-year salary that’s 140% of his $17.7 million earnings for the 2023-24 campaign, and with a richer bonus structure, a total agreement that could approach $120 million over four years.

The most inbound trade calls Atlanta has gotten, dating back to the trade deadline, have been focused on young center Onyeka Okongwu, sources said. Okongwu becomes extension eligible this summer after a decent emergence in Year 3. The same goes for Saddiq Bey, whom Atlanta sacrificed five second-round picks to acquire at the deadline and surely intends to retain long term. That has led opposing front offices to pinpoint Capela and De’Andre Hunter as logical trade candidates for the Hawks in addition to Collins. It is important to consider, though, how much Atlanta has valued Capela's ideal pick-and-roll partnership as a lob threat for Young, not to mention his rim protection ability when he and the Hawks’ lead guard have to defend the opposition’s same action. Plus, Atlanta values Hunter’s two-way ability in a league that’s still placing heavy premium on wings.

One player believed to be on the Hawks’ radar of potential trade targets is Raptors forward Pascal Siakam, sources said, and Toronto marks another team front offices are closely monitoring for trade activity. 

This pretty much sums up @thecampster early post regarding #15 and frontcourt players.

I'm curious to see a Young-Murray-Siakam squad if possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

We were all thinking it but knew the inevitable response would be twss.  Good on you for having that courage, trrrrl. 

I'm not responsible for ADD around here, just as no one else is responsible for having to read any other person's (mine or otherwise) posts. It's all good.

Here's the thing. If you're gonna make some accusation about someone's take... as the poster did previous to my response... just have the decency to actually understand that person's take.

It's the respectful thing to do. Otherwise, you're just mouthing off for no informed (literally) reason. If you want me to care what you think, then it goes both ways. Disagreement is fine. Sometimes, it's even great. Spirited discussions, within the bounds of some degree of respect and civility are the backbone of our board. Can't respect posts that appear to be hit-and-run jobs, disinterested in a respectful dialogue.

28 minutes ago, GameTime said:

I'm curious to see a Young-Murray-Siakam squad if possible.

Same, I think the slashing would be intense. We already have the highest drives to the basket. I’ve always been a huge fan of Siakam.

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, sturt said:

First, what I said here today is...

6 hours ago, sturt said:

I get the reason he would want to tamp down the perception that he's a puppet... none of us would ever like that perception being out there.

What I said is what I said. What you seemingly read into what I said here is that Landry is  a puppet.

What you said, suggest that somebody believes that he's a puppet and that Landry has to Do something to "tamp down the perception".  The problem is that you're the only person suggesting that he's a puppet.

So.. Since what you said is what you said... did I half read it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Talked to one source today. It seems the commitment Tony Ressler made to paying the LT next season is wavering. 

Pelicans contacted us about Zion. Nets contacted us about Ben Simmons. Hawks have told teams every player on the team BUT Trae Young is available for the right price. 

Lots of offers for Jalen Johnson, OO and AJ. Capela is getting a ton of interest. Collins is getting interest because the feeling around the league is he's been grossly misused since his 21/11 season and another team could be a better fit.

Good good… let them feast on Capela Collins and Dre….. lfg

id be wavering on luxury tax for this team as well. Time to get Siakam or similar and dump the dead weight.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

image.thumb.png.a7eee5a6b299a73c72e331a67ee0297a.png
Is there anyone who believes we will run it back?  

I don't. All signs point to Jason being correct. Said as much in a recent post. Search on "hamster wheel" and author:sturt.

Now, having said that, who is Mark Schindler, and why should I care what he thinks... as Brad evidently thinks I should. I watched about 3 minutes of the YT video, but quickly became persuaded that, if anything, Schindler should be interviewing Brad for his insight into Hawkdom.

Could it be the podcast craze has spread too thin what it takes to be considered an "expert?" Dunno. But seems a worthy theory for someone looking for a dissertation to write.

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, Diesel said:

What you said, suggest that somebody believes that he's a puppet and that Landry has to Do something to "tamp down the perception".  The problem is that you're the only person suggesting that he's a puppet.

So.. Since what you said is what you said... did I half read it?

Nonsense. Absolute horse pucky. Really, Diesel?

1. Heard of Nicky Ressler, Mr. Selective Memory?

Throngs of people here and everywhere were theorizing that Nicky was the man actually in control of decision-making in the front office. In other words, throngs of people had the perception that Landry was a puppet. Do some still? I dunno, but the fact that Landry still felt compelled even now to insert into a presser that the decision ultimately will be his (ie, who to draft) at least makes it a reasonable assumption that Landry had the perception that some have the perception.

2. I did say what I said. I won't be held accountable for you not having a grasp of what I said just b/c of some form of ADD on your part.

And I distinctly, irrefutably made clear that I don't consider Landry a puppet. I said that. Plainly. And then I said what I do consider him instead, and then backed that up with supporting intel that also is irrefutable--as published by The Athletic, as told to Jeff Schultz.

Disrespectful to play games like this, it really is. Take issue with what another person says, by all means. But don't contort what was said. Shouldn't need to, if you're authentically making a legitimate point.