• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Prototype 2 guard to me. 

I see him as the future 3. I may have said it before, but outside of Trae - he would be my only other untouchable. The Trae + AJ pairing is going to be a problem for the league in the future. As a reference coming out of college (Hunter was nearly 3 years older) [Hunter / Griffin below]:

Height: 6'7" / 6'6"

Wingspan: 7'2" / 7'0"

Weight: 223 / 222

Athletically, I don't think AJ has the lateral agility to be a 2 long term either. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 5/26/2023 at 4:02 PM, thecampster said:

Hawks are interested in trading out of the 15th pick to combine with a vet for a roster upgrade. They are not convinced the 15th pick can help them in the next 2 seasons. If no one intrigues them at 15, they may trade it for future picks to make up for what they've traded away beyond this year.

Quinn is valuing the ability to guard 3 positions to stop teams from hunting players in switches. Player movement will center around moving players who can't guard 3 positions. Quinn feels Trae turns a mediocre offensive player into a functional offensive player. Turns good into great.  He's willing to downgrade offense to get more complete defensive players around Trae.

Also 3+ weeks ago ^^^

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On 5/27/2023 at 2:22 PM, thecampster said:

Example: In the insider thread, I bounced off the guys what I heard about Dre and Coach having friction when he first got here.  Coach wanted more/different out of Dre, Dre took it critical.  Soth had heard similar, Supes rejected it out of hand.  I waited.  Found out that though true, it was not as "prominent" as the source made it out to be.  I sat on it so as to not rouse the board.

On 5/27/2023 at 6:42 PM, thecampster said:

When Quinn came in, almost every player bought in immediately with the exception of Dre. Dre saw himself as a defensive stopper, ultimate team guy. Quinn's coaching was about recovery, that offense is best played when its a 5 v 1 game and so too defense can be played in a similar dance.  Dre was by far the most lock in to 1 player type of a player and would ignore most other parts of defense (dig downs, quick doubles, cheating, anticipating the shot to get in position for a rebound, etc). Dre was coached up on making defense easier and he took it personal.  But it was made to seem like a much bigger thing to me that it really was. 

On this topic (and it showed on the floor), Trae bought in immediately and practiced it. Specifically helping with quick doubles, dig downs and anticipating passes not to his man but within reach to disrupt.  We saw his "pest" factor jump substantially under Quinn and right away.  Dre was slow to buy in because it was counter to the good man  and switch defense he'd learned his whole career. Felt singled out.  But the rift was significantly smaller than I was originally told and why it never made it to the board. It was just an example.

......And more interesting snippets on Hunter!

• Like 4

Thanks!  Quiet overnight!  Just 19 hours until the draft kicks off.  Hawks may wait until their wanted player is drafted by another team, then make a deal for him.  This is the way Atlanta ended up with Trae.  The closer the draft comes the more I think that this may be the plan.

We all have our favorite draft player but we don't really know which one that the Hawks desire.

:smug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, h4wkfan said:

I see him as the future 3. I may have said it before, but outside of Trae - he would be my only other untouchable. The Trae + AJ pairing is going to be a problem for the league in the future. As a reference coming out of college (Hunter was nearly 3 years older) [Hunter / Griffin below]:

Height: 6'7" / 6'6"

Wingspan: 7'2" / 7'0"

Weight: 223 / 222

Athletically, I don't think AJ has the lateral agility to be a 2 long term either. 

I really hate this site sometimes 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

If Travis is so smitten with Hunter, I wonder if he tries to acquire him?  I wouldn't mind having Delon Wright back but not sure there's anything else the Wiz have that I'd be willing to trade Hunter for.  

I actually think the Hawks should add a bunch of defensive studs instead of just any player. 

We’ve been near the top offensively since Trae came along. But our team defense has stunk.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I really hate this site sometimes 

Hate away, but maybe add some context if you want to disagree. Griffin is more 3/2 and Hunter is 3/4. With that said ...

1) Hunter is better, more versatile defender. I expect that out of a 25 year old in his 4th NBA season compared to a 19 year old rookie. Do I expect that gap to narrow by the time AJ is in his 4th year? Absolutely. 

2) Griffin played far more minutes at the 3 his rookie season. You really think that's going to change?

3) Griffin is a better offensive fit with Trae.

4) Statistically (I understand they had very different roles), but AJ was a more impactful player - as a rookie.

I'm not a proponent that AJ Griffin should start next year over Hunter. But long term, I'm keeping AJ before Hunter. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Hate away, but maybe add some context if you want to disagree. Griffin is more 3/2 and Hunter is 3/4. With that said ...

1) Hunter is better, more versatile defender. I expect that out of a 25 year old in his 4th NBA season compared to a 19 year old rookie. Do I expect that gap to narrow by the time AJ is in his 4th year? Absolutely. 

2) Griffin played far more minutes at the 3 his rookie season. You really think that's going to change?

4) Statistically (I understand they had very different roles), but AJ was a more impactful player - as a rookie.

I'm not a proponent that AJ Griffin should start next year over Hunter. But long term, I'm keeping AJ before Hunter. 

I'm here and been here with regards to Hunter.  I'll leave that argument for another time, but I like the points you highlighted here.

17 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Lmao. This is bad. A.J. hasn't shown us anything defensively reliable defending 2s which he's best at. He was ass defending 1s and 3s. As bad as Bey if not worse. Using measurements, you might as well mention JC, his measurements aren't much different either. I wish the BBIQ on here was better, especially in regards to defense. Offense, this site is better than most but defensively, might be the worst Basketball site by a mile. This is the only place other than Hawks Reddit and twitter that tries to say Trae isn't a terrible defender. 

I love A.J. mainly for his offense but defensively, he has no versatility. It's worse than JC who has no defensive versatility. Age doesn't really explain it. He's just not good on defense. 

A.J. has more defensive flaws than Bey. Seriously. What the f*** is wrong with our posters and terrible defensive opinions?

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

I keep saying this, A.J. can be a better verison of Gary Trent Jr. Nothing wrong with that. Hell, I think there is a star potential offensively to unlock. Defensively, he's a nightmare and worse than Bey. He's good at getting steals and deflections but he can't stay in front of defenders and always gets lost off the ball. No way is he reliable defensively for more than bench minutes at this stage and long term, he's limited on D.

16 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I keep saying this, A.J. can be a better verison of Gary Trent Jr. Nothing wrong with that. Hell, I think there is a star potential offensively to unlock. Defensively, he's a nightmare and worse than Bey. He's good at getting steals and deflections but he can't stay in front of defenders and always gets lost off the ball. No way is he reliable defensively for more than bench minutes at this stage and long term, he's limited on D.

Lmao.  Who is claiming AJ is better than Hunter on D? I think Hunter is overrated AZ hell on D. I say that while realizing he is the best wing defender on this team.  But otherworldly....? Not for me.  There is plenty of BBIQ on this site but an opinion is an opinion and there's more than one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

If you think age is the difference between Hunter on D and Griffin, I can't take you serious at all as a Basketball fan. That's like saying, Bruno can be as good on defense as Clint, just give him some playing time. It's pure delusion. This site is way too offensive minded and it's been like that for YEARS. I still remember posters telling me Jabari Parker was getting 16 mil per off of that good month when JC was suspended. We really don't understand basketball well on here.

Honestly, do you guys even understand defense on this site?

I thoroughly enjoy the spastic responses when someone disagrees with you.

When did I say that age is the only difference between the 2? I said the gap will narrow in time. And yes. The gap will narrow.

That’s a nice strawman argument for Bruno/Clint, but nowhere close to apples to apples. Griffin came out of college after a single season. Hunter had 3 to learn the game. He’s 19 still learning the nuance of the game. He will never be a defensive stopper. I never said he would. But to expect him to not be better than he is today is silly. Or maybe some posters on this site don’t understand player development. 

and when his defense gets to average. His offense will be far more impactful to the team. And thus the total package is more valuable to me. 

And just to get you really riled up. for such a shit defensive player. when AJ is on the court with trae at the 3 - we gave up 111.5 pts/100. With Dre we gave up 113.9. And Bey? 116.2. 

and for the record. I’m a big Deandre fan. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

How about we wait and see what actually happens before throwing the labtop/phone across the room? Just a thought. Some people take NBA rumor mill a little too seriously. 

🤣good to see there's someone stupid like me who also thought it was called a labtop as opposed to a laptop.  

• Haha 4