• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Saddiq Bey to Atlanta, Finally!!!

JayBirdHawk

I really hope that Saddiq Bey is as good as most posters here believe.  All of us now believe that our rookie front office did us proud at the trade deadline.  Hawks appear, at least on paper, to have a stronger bench and all it cost was some 2nd round picks.  Atlanta has never been great at selecting in the 2nd round.  However, we can't really know about this rookie team we would have now.

Trading two seldom used players for two expected to be seldom used players and gaining more than enough pay roll relief to add Bey's salary has to be applauded.  Way to go rookies!

😊

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

I really hope that Saddiq Bey is as good as most posters here believe. 

He is gramps. A 2 way hustling dog known for his gritty D at Villanova and it translated well to the pro game. He can can’t and shoot with a relatively quick release (as opposed to Hunter’s release) .

He is going to become a fan favorite real quick. I don’t doubt that at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, theheroatl said:

The logical fit is to shift Dre and Bogi minutes over to Bey. I doubt it affects other positions like Trae and JC.

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

How you use the word logical in a sentence to make an illogical statement?

I think as long as Hunter is healthy he needs to continue to get his normal minutes.  Not seeing anything on paper that Bey brings that Hunter doesn't do better (except rebounding where Bey is predictably more productive).

Bogi and JJ are the two I think are at most risk.  Bogi probably needs some load management given his health this year (granted that I think Bogi has Nate's trust).  JJ gets about 15 minutes a game and has been one of the first "cut" from the rotation by Nate when he has the option so I would be surprised to see him hold his current role when Bey is added to the rotation.  

How many minutes Bey gets depends on how good he is for us.  I'm hopeful that he can slot in with a more defined role than he had in Atlanta and that we'll see shooting numbers more like his rookie season the rest of the year as he should take fewer high difficulty 3's with us.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

I really hope that Saddiq Bey is as good as most posters here believe.  

Bey is a bit of gunner. He has good height, weight, length as a forward and what looks like tighter handles than any other frontcourt player on our roster.

I think people are overestimating his shooting while underestimating his ability to iso and get in the paint as well as post up.

From what I can tell he has that Pascal Siakam style game where he sticks that butt out and keeps his dribble while he manages to spin his way in to a shot in the paint and draw contact while doing so.

Bey averages 4 FTA per game which is better than any player on our roster not named Trae. So, while he is being touted as another floor spacer, I think his real value will be as a throw it in and make something happen type player for us similar to Gallo (but a lesser shooting version).

I see Bey adding to our offense by helping to get more cheapies in the paint and at the line. He will fire away some three’s on pedestrian efficiency , but 86% shooting on 4 FT attempts is where he should make the best impact for us. 

Anyone remember Jabari Parker? That’s kind of what I am seeing from Bey’s clips. A gunning forward with savvy scoring instinct. Not afraid to play in a crowd and draw contact. 

We have been missing that type of guy .

The highlight 3’s are nice, but like Trae they are often poor shot quality. So maybe playing next to guys who draw so much attention will give Bey more wide open attempts that see his efficiency rise from outside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that JJ’s minutes are most at risk. I can’t imagine Nate moving off of Bogi too much though.

AJ will see his mins decline before Bogi.

I think matchups (aka Nate’s pre determined rotations) will be a bug factor. On a given night, if we decide we need more shooting and Bey will play more 4 then JJ will drop. If we want to go with more size and keep Bey at the 3 then AJ’s mins will drop.

Currently it’s:

Dre: 32 mpg

Bogi: 30 mpg

AJ: 20 mpg

JJ: 15 mpg

With Bey it will likely be:

Dre: 30 mpg

Bogi: 25 mpg

Bey: 25 mpg

AJ: 12 mpg with a few DNP-CD

JJ: 5mpg with mostly DNP-CD

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Diesel said:

When Bey gets into Nate's rotation, i think it will limit Bogi and give Trae some rest.  But I don't see Bey cracking the lineup for a few weeks. 

Why the hell not....oh wait...it's Nate. But seriously, other players in trades are playing - if we can't find some productive minutes for him.....#NateFail

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The player whose minutes will be most impacted by the addition of Saddiq Bey's addition to the rotation, as measured by number of minutes/seconds actually subtracted comparing all pre-trade Hawks' remaining regular season games in which Saddiq plays at least 10 minutes, will be Bogdan Bogadanovic. Only condition to this assertion, and thus the bet, is that only those games in which both players named actually get on the floor count--and so, disregarding games in which health (BogBog's) is an issue.

In my best Fee Waybill singsong... "Step right up. And don't be shy."   😄

2023-02-13_15-15-09.png

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Man i hope Bey gets minutes tonight.  

Feb 13, 2023@JameelahJNBA

Nate McMillan says Saddiq Bey will get some minutes in tonight’s game vs Hornets.

John Collins is out, Bogdan Bogdanovic is playing.

Edited by terrell

8 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Bey is a bit of gunner. He has good height, weight, length as a forward and what looks like tighter handles than any other frontcourt player on our roster.

I think people are overestimating his shooting while underestimating his ability to iso and get in the paint as well as post up.

From what I can tell he has that Pascal Siakam style game where he sticks that butt out and keeps his dribble while he manages to spin his way in to a shot in the paint and draw contact while doing so.

Bey averages 4 FTA per game which is better than any player on our roster not named Trae. So, while he is being touted as another floor spacer, I think his real value will be as a throw it in and make something happen type player for us similar to Gallo (but a lesser shooting version).

I see Bey adding to our offense by helping to get more cheapies in the paint and at the line. He will fire away some three’s on pedestrian efficiency , but 86% shooting on 4 FT attempts is where he should make the best impact for us. 

Anyone remember Jabari Parker? That’s kind of what I am seeing from Bey’s clips. A gunning forward with savvy scoring instinct. Not afraid to play in a crowd and draw contact. 

We have been missing that type of guy .

The highlight 3’s are nice, but like Trae they are often poor shot quality. So maybe playing next to guys who draw so much attention will give Bey more wide open attempts that see his efficiency rise from outside.

A much better shooting Jabari Parker is a really good player.

• Like 1