• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

OFFICIAL: Hawks and All we do is Quin Quin Quin

JayBirdHawk

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

So maybe @Spud2nique and @NBASupes can relate:

Once NBA 2k updates with Snyder as the Hawks coach I am going to have to restart my modern Hawks franchise for a THIRD TIME just to have the updated rosters and Quin as our coach. Unreal. Never had to do this before in any 2k...

I'm playoff deep into my first season in MyCareer mode, so I'm stuck with Nate for the long-haul lol

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Will Quin bring back the 'The Daily Vitamins' that Bud had.

How much experimentation with roster lineups should we expect? We are trying to make the playoffs as well as evaluate the roster for next season.

Trae off the bench?  Solves our fit issues, especially since he's getting traded for Cory Joseph anyway. 

• Haha 4

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How much experimentation with roster lineups should we expect? We are trying to make the playoffs as well as evaluate the roster for next season.

It's going to be interesting.  The biggest mystery to me has been JJ.   Seems like we need him on the court more.   We have already seen OO getting more time than Capela recently.   And I thought Garrison might get a look but I see he was kind of barely playing for Houston so maybe not.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kg01 said:

That friggin vaunted 60-win team limped past the crap-a** Nets on the 1st round.  Regular season paper tigers.

It's funny folks want us to stop harkening back to the ECF run from a couple years ago, but folks still hold the 60-win team up on a pedestal like they won a ring. Weird.

While that 60 win team was great and it was a fun ride we peaked WAY to soon on the season, we were pretty much limping into post season, and the police issues with Thabo hurt a lot as well. You could see it in the last month of the season.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bud had them, taking their vitamins &  saying their prayers? 

I wonder where he got that from??

To all my little Hulkamaniacs, say your prayers, take your vitamins and you will never go wrong. - Hulk Hogan

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

I was staring at the screen trying to figure out if it was a young Joe Prunty or an older Quin they had on display? 

image.gif.0e2bf1fa6701a4115d0f918b943ede74.gif

(not sexually)

As of last night it was Joe Prunty as HC in the quick game mode. I was hoping sometime today that they would update to Snyder.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Hollinger: Hard choices await Quin Snyder with Hawks

John Hollinger

Feb 27, 2023

Welcome to Atlanta, Quin. We’re not totally sure why you wanted this Hawks job, but we’re glad you’re here.

Here’s the thing: The Hawks have work to do. A lot of it. And a lot of that work is beyond the coach’s control.

But let’s not scare away the new guy just yet. Instead, let’s start at the top: Why, exactly, would Quin Snyder take this job, given the Hawks’ cap situation, limited future draft capital and general stuck-in-the-middleness?

He wasn’t going to lack for suitors, that’s for sure. Snyder could easily have bided his time until this summer, seen if one of the league’s other plum jobs came open (Philly? Clippers? Dallas?) and given himself a more realistic pathway to a championship. That he didn’t is a tell that the Hawks made it worth his while to commit now, and that likely goes beyond finances. Our Shams Charania already reported that Snyder will be paid in the $8 million a year range, making him among the league’s highest-paid coaches, and he has the security of a deal that runs four years beyond this season (a fairly typical contract length these days for a proven coach).

However, the real question is how much juice Snyder will have when it comes to the roster’s composition. He had considerable friction over those decisions in Utah; it’s inconceivable that he’d fully outsource the roster-building to the league’s least experienced front office and the owner’s 27-year-old kid playing fantasy GM. It seems highly likely that the Hawks granted Snyder major input on important decisions. (“Input” usually ends up defined, roughly, as “direct line around the GM to the owner” and “tie-breaking vote if GM and coach don’t agree.”)

GO DEEPER

Inside the end of the Travis Schlenk era in Atlanta, the Hawks' new power structure and how it's impacting the team

On the floor, Snyder inherits a team in the middle of a lukewarm playoff race, having replaced the most successful coach in franchise history (the undefeated Joe Prunty). He’ll likely inherit that coaching staff, too, at least until the offseason. (Still on the Hawks staff: Assistant coach Jamelle McMillan, Nate’s son. Awwwwkward.)

Atlanta is 31-30 and, amazingly, not all that far away from a top-6 position in the East that yields a guaranteed playoff berth. The Hawks are just 2.5 games behind the floundering Nets (currently in the No. 6 spot), and have a back-to-back set in Miami this weekend that would let them reel in the wobbly Heat, currently in seventh.

Tactically, there are a few places Snyder can look for an immediate jolt. Replacing John Collins in the starting lineup with Saddiq Bey would likely give the offense more breathing room – the Hawks are last in the NBA in 3-point attempt rate and Collins is shooting just 25.6 percent from 3 this season. Having somebody besides the diminutive Trae Young serve as the late-game inbound passer (an adjustment Prunty already made that led to Young’s game-winning shot on Sunday) would be another obvious tweak. Running more actions that allow Young and Dejounte Murray to play off each other is a glaring piece of low-hanging fruit.

Snyder, of course, is renowned as something of a basketball mad scientist. He has the league’s deepest playbook, each option of which contains counters to the counters of its counters. Installing all of that in-season would be like renovating a house while you’re trying to live in it; realistically, he’ll likely pick bits and pieces for now and save the rest for July. Personnel-wise, however, he can do with Clint Capela and Young much of the same things he did with Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell.

Bigger picture, the real fun starts after the season. The Hawks already have $161 million committed to 10 players for next season, pending Bogdan Bogdanović’s player option. That puts them at the luxury tax line before they sign or draft anyone else. Sans a commitment from ownership to spend into the tax – and nobody is banking on that being part of the deal – the Hawks would have to cut money someplace else. Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but trading Collins is one possible solution … except it’s not clear what his market would be, with a mangled finger curtailing his floor-spacing ability and with $78 million due to him over the next three seasons. De’Andre Hunter’s $90 million extension is another potential casualty, but again, one wonders what the market would be for that contract.

The existential issue of the post-2024 Hawks also hangs over this job. That is when Murray will be an unrestricted free agent, and it will be virtually impossible to extend his contract between now and then. Bogdanović, Bey and Onyeka Okongwu would also hit free agency at that point; while those three all are extendable, keeping them would make things unsustainably expensive.

Some hard decisions are coming. And we haven’t even mentioned the hardest one: What if Young gets itchy for a relocation?

The Hawks also owe unprotected draft picks to San Antonio in 2025 and 2027, so they’re pot-committed to making this roster work without a reset. This team should be relatively good going forward. Every key player except Bogdanović (30) and Capela (28) is 26 or younger. The addition of Bey and the emergence of 19-year-old A.J. Griffin have solidified what had been some tragic bench minutes. Young remains an offense unto himself. Atlanta also has its own first-round picks in 2023 and 2024 and a pick from the Kings via last summer’s Kevin Huerter trade that likely hits in 2024, so there is at least some room for maneuvering.

The question is one of levels. If it’s relatively easy to see the Hawks winning 45-ish games and making the playoffs each of the next few years, it’s also increasingly difficult to see scenarios where they repeat their conference finals appearance in 2021. The Collins and Hunter extensions and the Murray trade have painted them too deep into a corner for that.

We’ll get our first taste of the Snyder era on Tuesday against Washington. That said, with 21 games left and a likely first-round pasting in the cards even if things go relatively well, this hire doesn’t truly get interesting until June. Snyder’s personnel input, and what happens to Atlanta’s roster and unwieldy cap situation as a result of that, warrants close tracking this summer.

• Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Bud had them, taking their vitamins &  saying their prayers? 

I wonder where he got that from??

To all my little Hulkamaniacs, say your prayers, take your vitamins and you will never go wrong. - Hulk Hogan

I been taking my hulkamania vitamins since the first wrestlemania in 85 H town I was there. I’m a fan.

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

We’re not totally sure why you wanted this Hawks job,

Trae. 

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

What was that?

Everything about practices is regimented down to the smallest detail. The work on the court, in the film room, training room and weight room is pointed, purposeful, slotted and efficient. And, of course, there's the "daily vitamin" system that Budenholzer is known for.

While proper nutrition is important, a vitamin in Budenholzer's lexicon is an analogy for getting specific, tailored work sessions in with assistants coaches.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Everything about practices is regimented down to the smallest detail. The work on the court, in the film room, training room and weight room is pointed, purposeful, slotted and efficient. And, of course, there's the "daily vitamin" system that Budenholzer is known for.

While proper nutrition is important, a vitamin in Budenholzer's lexicon is an analogy for getting specific, tailored work sessions in with assistants coaches.

....and as much as I loved how the Hawks played offense under Bud, this is the part I'm the most excited about getting back.  This is the key moreso than the offensive and defensive styles.  It's the day to day attention to detail, even the smallest of details.  It's the focus on individual skill development in practice.  This is what all of his assistant coaches have carried with them.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Diesel said:

John Hollinger

Feb 27, 2023

Welcome to Atlanta, Quin. We’re not totally sure why you wanted this Hawks job, but we’re glad you’re here.

Here’s the thing: The Hawks have work to do. A lot of it. And a lot of that work is beyond the coach’s control.

But let’s not scare away the new guy just yet. Instead, let’s start at the top: Why, exactly, would Quin Snyder take this job, given the Hawks’ cap situation, limited future draft capital and general stuck-in-the-middleness?

He wasn’t going to lack for suitors, that’s for sure. Snyder could easily have bided his time until this summer, seen if one of the league’s other plum jobs came open (Philly? Clippers? Dallas?) and given himself a more realistic pathway to a championship. That he didn’t is a tell that the Hawks made it worth his while to commit now, and that likely goes beyond finances. Our Shams Charania already reported that Snyder will be paid in the $8 million a year range, making him among the league’s highest-paid coaches, and he has the security of a deal that runs four years beyond this season (a fairly typical contract length these days for a proven coach).

However, the real question is how much juice Snyder will have when it comes to the roster’s composition. He had considerable friction over those decisions in Utah; it’s inconceivable that he’d fully outsource the roster-building to the league’s least experienced front office and the owner’s 27-year-old kid playing fantasy GM. It seems highly likely that the Hawks granted Snyder major input on important decisions. (“Input” usually ends up defined, roughly, as “direct line around the GM to the owner” and “tie-breaking vote if GM and coach don’t agree.”)

GO DEEPER

Inside the end of the Travis Schlenk era in Atlanta, the Hawks' new power structure and how it's impacting the team

On the floor, Snyder inherits a team in the middle of a lukewarm playoff race, having replaced the most successful coach in franchise history (the undefeated Joe Prunty). He’ll likely inherit that coaching staff, too, at least until the offseason. (Still on the Hawks staff: Assistant coach Jamelle McMillan, Nate’s son. Awwwwkward.)

Atlanta is 31-30 and, amazingly, not all that far away from a top-6 position in the East that yields a guaranteed playoff berth. The Hawks are just 2.5 games behind the floundering Nets (currently in the No. 6 spot), and have a back-to-back set in Miami this weekend that would let them reel in the wobbly Heat, currently in seventh.

Tactically, there are a few places Snyder can look for an immediate jolt. Replacing John Collins in the starting lineup with Saddiq Bey would likely give the offense more breathing room – the Hawks are last in the NBA in 3-point attempt rate and Collins is shooting just 25.6 percent from 3 this season. Having somebody besides the diminutive Trae Young serve as the late-game inbound passer (an adjustment Prunty already made that led to Young’s game-winning shot on Sunday) would be another obvious tweak. Running more actions that allow Young and Dejounte Murray to play off each other is a glaring piece of low-hanging fruit.

Snyder, of course, is renowned as something of a basketball mad scientist. He has the league’s deepest playbook, each option of which contains counters to the counters of its counters. Installing all of that in-season would be like renovating a house while you’re trying to live in it; realistically, he’ll likely pick bits and pieces for now and save the rest for July. Personnel-wise, however, he can do with Clint Capela and Young much of the same things he did with Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell.

Bigger picture, the real fun starts after the season. The Hawks already have $161 million committed to 10 players for next season, pending Bogdan Bogdanović’s player option. That puts them at the luxury tax line before they sign or draft anyone else. Sans a commitment from ownership to spend into the tax – and nobody is banking on that being part of the deal – the Hawks would have to cut money someplace else. Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but trading Collins is one possible solution … except it’s not clear what his market would be, with a mangled finger curtailing his floor-spacing ability and with $78 million due to him over the next three seasons. De’Andre Hunter’s $90 million extension is another potential casualty, but again, one wonders what the market would be for that contract.

The existential issue of the post-2024 Hawks also hangs over this job. That is when Murray will be an unrestricted free agent, and it will be virtually impossible to extend his contract between now and then. Bogdanović, Bey and Onyeka Okongwu would also hit free agency at that point; while those three all are extendable, keeping them would make things unsustainably expensive.

Some hard decisions are coming. And we haven’t even mentioned the hardest one: What if Young gets itchy for a relocation?

The Hawks also owe unprotected draft picks to San Antonio in 2025 and 2027, so they’re pot-committed to making this roster work without a reset. This team should be relatively good going forward. Every key player except Bogdanović (30) and Capela (28) is 26 or younger. The addition of Bey and the emergence of 19-year-old A.J. Griffin have solidified what had been some tragic bench minutes. Young remains an offense unto himself. Atlanta also has its own first-round picks in 2023 and 2024 and a pick from the Kings via last summer’s Kevin Huerter trade that likely hits in 2024, so there is at least some room for maneuvering.

The question is one of levels. If it’s relatively easy to see the Hawks winning 45-ish games and making the playoffs each of the next few years, it’s also increasingly difficult to see scenarios where they repeat their conference finals appearance in 2021. The Collins and Hunter extensions and the Murray trade have painted them too deep into a corner for that.

We’ll get our first taste of the Snyder era on Tuesday against Washington. That said, with 21 games left and a likely first-round pasting in the cards even if things go relatively well, this hire doesn’t truly get interesting until June. Snyder’s personnel input, and what happens to Atlanta’s roster and unwieldy cap situation as a result of that, warrants close tracking this summer.

I feel like this is realistic but I like a lot of our pieces. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

....and as much as I loved how the Hawks played offense under Bud, this is the part I'm the most excited about getting back.  This is the key moreso than the offensive and defensive styles.  It's the day to day attention to detail, even the smallest of details.  It's the focus on individual skill development in practice.  This is what all of his assistant coaches have carried with them.  

Quin is not a Bud Clone.   Quin is not a Pop Clone.   This is clear from him coaching Pop's G-League team.  I don't think Quin subscribes to Bud's practices...  He has his own thing...

“We had practice every day. I thought I was in Kentucky again,” Lyles said. “… I didn’t say nothing about working hard. Three-hour practices. Come on, now.”

Then, this week, another former Jazz forward, Gordon Hayward, seemed to take another dig at Snyder’s practice proclivities while praising how Celtics coach Brad Stevens runs his ship.

“He seemed pretty logical with how he did things as far as practices were concerned — ‘We’re not going to run you into the ground for three hours because you have to play this weekend, and I also want you to be good in March, too.’ Which I thought was pretty cool,” Hayward said.

Snyder, for his part, knew what was up when a reporter gently approached the issue by suggesting “your three-hour practices have become legendary around the league.”

“Urban legend!” Snyder retorted with a laugh, later adding, “The three-hour thing … I’m thinking there’s maybe something behind that.”

That said, Snyder made no apologies.

“We believe in working,” he said, simply. “I think that’s why people who have played in our program have gotten better. That’s the correlation.”

He also pointed out he’s not some inflexible monster bent on running his players into the ground just to satiate some sadistic coaching method.

Yes, he pointed out, when he got here, the team won 25 games the year before and was particularly young, so practices tended to be longer. But, he subsequently mentioned, he also held fewer shootarounds last year as the Jazz transitioned from young team to playoff team.

He then praised the collective work ethic of this year’s group, noting, “Our guys have been purposeful in how they’ve practiced.”

“The fact that our guys put the time in to get better, stay healthy is something we really feel is the strength of the program,” he added. “The way guys work and how purposefully they do it, whether it’s something as simple as getting a massage or eating right — we try to give them every … amenity may not be the right word, but very opportunity to be better. It’s something the guys enjoy and appreciate.”

Rookie guard Grayson Allen, for one, claimed that Wednesday’s long practice “wasn’t that bad,” adding he was used to long sessions considering, “I just came from four years of Coach K practices.”

You see.. If his three hour practices were something of the norm.. i.e. something Bud did, nobody would say anything. 

It sounds like his practices are more akin to a Coach K style practice. 

Bottom line @KB21  Snyder only spent 1 year with Bud and I don't think many of Bud's practices stayed with Snyder.  He is not a clone.. so if that was your thought... expect to be disappointed. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You see.. If his three hour practices were something of the norm.. i.e. something Bud did, nobody would say anything. 

Both Lyles and Hayward were both with Q during the early start of his coaching career, would love to know how he has evolved in that area by hearing from more recent players.

29 minutes ago, Diesel said:

John Hollinger

Feb 27, 2023

If you look at our record and our roster, it's amazing the narratives we get compared to GS, Miami, and Dallas, etc.  A coach is crazy to work with us, even though our starting unit is ranked among the best in the league under a dinosaur offensive philosophy.  

I am personally seeing opportunity for a push this year to at least get a 6 seed and have a competitive first round series.  That's what they are saying about teams like Dallas and GS that have similar records to us. 

Snyder is opening up new possibilities for this playoff run, but it will only get talked about if we start winning and moving up in the standings.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Quin is not a Bud Clone.   Quin is not a Pop Clone.   This is clear from him coaching Pop's G-League team.  I don't think Quin subscribes to Bud's practices...  He has his own thing...

Bottom line @KB21  Snyder only spent 1 year with Bud and I don't think many of Bud's practices stayed with Snyder.  He is not a clone.. so if that was your thought... expect to be disappointed. 

How Milwaukee's Budenholzer helped Quin Snyder become 'one of the best coaches in the league' | KSL.com

“To be in a role that you feel like is impactful that someone trusts you and you just want to support him any way you can,” Snyder said. “He’s such a good coach. His understanding and really feel for the game is just tremendous. I was able to witness that, learn from it and then the friendship, too.

“There were a lot of years we spent together, but that one, in particular, was impactful in a really unique way.”

Budenholzer said that Snyder proved he was ready to be a head coach during that season. The stuff he did offensively was new and he his defensive schemes proved to be tough to score on. He’s done the same thing in Utah.

“Now watching him be his own head coach for five years now — which in NBA terms is forever,” Budenholzer said. “He is so creative offensively. Defensively, his teams are very physical and very competitive and put you in tough spots. I’m biased but I think he’s one of the best coaches in the league.”

14 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

If you look at our record and our roster, it's amazing the narratives we get compared to GS, Miami, and Dallas, etc.  A coach is crazy to work with us, even though our starting unit is ranked among the best in the league under a dinosaur offensive philosophy.  

I am personally seeing opportunity for a push this year to at least get a 6 seed and have a competitive first round series.  That's what they are saying about teams like Dallas and GS that have similar records to us. 

Snyder is opening up new possibilities for this playoff run, but it will only get talked about if we start winning and moving up in the standings.  

The national media except Tim Bontemps exclaim the audacity that Atlanta would be attractive to Quin. It’s nauseating. Tim McMamahon, the clueless head in the ground Mavs beat writer was basically flabbergasted. 

they are all literally idiots

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Preface.

I'm prone, by choice, to being optimistic. I could be cynical, but cynical is too easy and at the same time, where's the joy in that? What, I get to celebrate later on that I was right about something dark happening and get to call the optimists to repentance? That's somehow appealing??? My ego needs stroking that  badly?

Assertion.

This team is going to take this energy boost--because they've proven that's mainly what they need is someone new and more highly and widely regarded than their previous 5 star general--and completely out-produce expectations as Hollinger's piece expresses current expectations. Will blow those out of the water.

This season.

• Like 1