• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

OFFICIAL: Hawks and All we do is Quin Quin Quin

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I remember watching this in the 90s. 

That movie slipped past me.  

Maybe because it was not enough blood, gore, or even manliness. I was probably somewhere watching  The Terminator or something about James Bond. I'm so unrefined... but unapologetic. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

That movie slipped past me.  

Maybe because it was not enough blood, gore, or even manliness. I was probably somewhere watching  The Terminator or something about James Bond. I'm so unrefined... but unapologetic. 

It's a old movie from the 60s. I remember just randomly watching it as a kid flipping channels.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, sturt said:

Gray, someone's going to be the architect. I continue to plead the case, who do you want to do that?

Yes, absolutely, if you want a nice house, you let professional architects make plans... the owners of the house get to dictate cost, sure, and get to approve the final architects' renderings, but the only persons around the planning and execution table... the NBA war room as it were... should be the people who've actually committed their careers to scouting, learning, studying players, and even better if those are people who have performed those tasks over an extended period of time, aka, "experienced."

And why is it such a weird idea that ownership would let basketball people make basketball decisions? Are we just so used to owners meddling in basketball ops in 2023 that we don't even bother to survey the rest of the NBA landscape for how others have come to expect their ownership to let basketball people lead?

I don't apologize, then, for worrying. This juncture represented/represents a chance to break away from the same-old-same-old.

Yes. I'm afraid by capitulating to Ressler, our new head coach may have already hurt chances for long-term success.

QS, again, is the only  person in the building who knows what he knows, who has the instincts, who is proven.

Only. One.

But Quin Snyder is going to be subservient and expected to bow to others' inclinations... and most outrageously, the owner.

Happens with every franchise in professional sports.  

Edited by Vol4ever

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, sturt said:

Okay, I've given this thing too much of my time the last week. I need to detach and get back on-track with work instead of recreation.

But yeah, I think to be flippant toward this very weighty, significant issue is effectively to put oneself in this category...

2023-02-27_09-21-24.png

For the record, I'm standing beside Sturt on this.  I'm less worried about our front office, but I'm still very weary of our ownership.  I'm comfortable with owners being passionate about the team and being involved - IF ultimately they defer to the guys who are paid to make the decisions and said guys are good brain trusts. 

I have to admit that Landry and Korver are growing on me.  Hopefully [which is all we can really do at this point] we continue to trend this way...

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Wretch said:

For the record, I'm standing beside Sturt on this.  I'm less worried about our front office, but I'm still very weary of our ownership.  I'm comfortable with owners being passionate about the team and being involved - IF ultimately they defer to the guys who are paid to make the decisions and said guys are good brain trusts. 

I have to admit that Landry and Korver are growing on me.  Hopefully [which is all we can really do at this point] we continue to trend this way...

Is Ressler more Ted Turner, Mark Cuban  or Jerry Jones?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Diesel said:

This is a good question.  I don't follow the NFL, so I can't speak on Jones.  We WISH he were more Ted Turner, but the only similarity I'm seeing thus far is the no-nonsense approach to getting things done.  Ted was about the business of winning and it was clear that he expected nothing short of excellence.

The difference is he spent money with zero hesitation.  He even spent money that he didn't have...which landed us Nique.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

He's not Cuban because he doesn't know the game like that.  Mark Cuban KNOWS basketball...probably a little too much for his own good.

10 hours ago, Sothron said:

I honestly have never and I mean NEVER prayed as much for a player and a coach to be on the same page as I am now with Trae and Quin. We absolutely need this to work.

Ya whatever, I just got sprayed with a can of love juice by @Wretch. Do whatever you want. :cray2:

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Wretch, my working theory is that Antony Peter rather prefers having GMs who are not so well-established... it allows him (and his son for that matter) the excuse to be able to justify that he gets to participate in basketball decisions.

To be fair to Antony Peter, it's not so much that he's such a heavy hand that he might as well be the GM (Jerry Jones).

And to be fair to him, too, the analogy fits... homeowners building a new house aren't divorced from the planning and execution, and it's only reasonable that they want to approve budgets, see the architect renderings. and ask questions/give guidance about things where there own preferences should be understood.

It's rather that he appears to want to be part of the decision-making beyond where he brings any substantive expertise on matters where, in a functional office, the basketball minds make the basketball decisions.

This moment in the evolution of the Hawks could have put into place a genuine widely-regarded basketball mind giving leadership.

People will say, "Yeah, but let the coach just be the coach." That would be a valid response in an office where there were no others to delegate assignments to. But in this case, there would seem to be ample individuals to shoulder the load.

The master chef doesn't have to be monitoring every mini-project in the kitchen. He just needs to have the authority to oversee and the authority to, as occasion arises, make demands and give leadership.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Please don't give @kg01 that kind of ammunition. lol

True story, I instinctively do a "she said" inspection as I type.  Too often, I 1have to reconsider my wording and find a different way to say something.  Tooooooo often.

1. Case in point, in this example, I was going to say "pump the brakes"...but I can just picture KG seeing the word "pump" and going:

Hide contents

Stevie J GIFs | Tenor

When we are outside the podcast zone, he’s out of my jurisdiction. :huh:

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, sturt said:

Wretch, my working theory is that Antony Peter rather prefers having GMs who are not so well-established... it allows him (and his son for that matter) the excuse to be able to justify that he gets to participate in basketball decisions.

To be fair to Antony Peter, it's not so much that he's such a heavy hand that he might as well be the GM (Jerry Jones).

And to be fair to him, too, the analogy fits... homeowners building a new house aren't divorced from the planning and execution, and it's only reasonable that they want to approve budgets, see the architect renderings. and ask questions/give guidance about things where there own preferences should be understood.

It's rather that he appears to want to be part of the decision-making beyond where he brings any substantive expertise on matters where, in a functional office, the basketball minds make the basketball decisions.

This moment in the evolution of the Hawks could have put into place a genuine widely-regarded basketball mind giving leadership.

People will say, "Yeah, but let the coach just be the coach." That would be a valid response in an office where there were no others to delegate assignments to. But in this case, there would seem to be ample individuals to shoulder the load.

The master chef doesn't have to be monitoring every mini-project in the kitchen. He just needs to have the authority to oversee and the authority to, as occasion arises, make demands and give leadership.

I concur.  I don't think you're that far off from the truth.  I'm only hoping for the best, which of course all of us are.

Even if we aren't going to give him an official hand in the decision making, I would like to see something kind of statement from the ownership that lets us know that they understand and accept how this SHOULD work.

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Y’all watch Gametime on NBAtv last night or this morning? Smitty and Sam Mitchell gave us props for the Quin hire. 

Sam said: He’s been in Atlanta so he knows the landscape, good coach, he’s got some players he needs to bring in the fold; great pick n roll coach. Best play Trae is best pick n roll. Competent good coach. He joked they are on the 3rd good coach so this should stick before roster changes if things don’t work out. Talented group that should win games going forward.

Smitty- Defensive end and play faster; change culture of how you play; 2 young (pun intended) guards that are smaller and athlete should play at a faster pace.

YES YES YES! 

I love both Smitty and Sam Mitch. @kg01 I think I’m more Sam Mitch than you. :er: :batman:

Yeah. I caught that.  I couldn't agree with Smitty more when he says we have to play faster. 

Sam seem like he was upholding the brotherhood for Nate.  The overarching theme for Sam was Nate is a good coach.  His last statement (I believe) was "Atlanta has had three good coaches now:  LP, Nate, and Snyder"...  Next time, it will be some players who have to be changed out. 

Talking in those terms.. I hear " This is Trae's 3rd coach.  If it doesn't work out, then Trae is the problem."

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

First, super excited that we landed Snyder.  That doesn't mean I think it is guaranteed to be a homerun but I would have been very disappointed if he had walked away both for what it says about the franchise and what we would be losing as the potential leader and director for this team.

Second, I am very happy with at least five things about Snyder:

1. He seemed to get along well with high ego ,star talent in Utah and get buy-in from his players.
  2. He comes from a background and has demonstrated in his coaching the ability to implement organized systems.
  3. He has spoken in the past about altering those systems to suit the personnel he is coaching (like when he convinced Pops to let him implement a non-Spurs system with the g-league affiliate).  We have some unique strengths and limitations with our roster that scream for a system that is designed to maximize those strengths and minimize the weaknesses.  Don't feel like Nate did a good job with that.
  4. He is very in touch with current trends in the league and has been described as an innovator by others which is what we need for a breakthrough with this team (if that is going to happen).
  5. He is well known for making smart in-game adjustments.

Again, these things don't mean he will be effective but I think he has the potential to really address those key issues with motivation, scheme, and dynamic game management.

Third, I like that Snyder isn't going to have personnel responsibility.  I don't doubt with the size and length of his contract in addition to him being the guy with the most experience and status in the NBA that he will have significant pull but I don't like the coach as GM.  Feel they too often sell out the future for marginal improvements for the present and that Snyder will have so much on his plate that he can't worry about that kind of roster management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

1. He has spoken in the past about altering those systems to suit the personnel he is coaching (like when he convinced Pops to let him implement a non-Spurs system with the g-league affiliate).  We have some unique strengths and limitations with our roster that scream for a system that is designed to maximize those strengths and minimize the weaknesses.  Don't feel like Nate did a good job with that.
  2. He is very in touch with current trends in the league and has been described as an innovator by others which is what we need for a breakthrough with this team (if that is going to happen).
  3. He is well known for making smart in-game adjustments.

This is what excites me the most, I'm not sure how quickly he can implement any system this year. But I'm hopeful that he can bring some innovation and excitement to the team.