• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Thursday Insider

Admin

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Did the Lakers win the NBA Championship Wednesday night or was Phil Jackson just glad to get the hell out of New Jersey? You couldn't tell from their reaction after the game.

There was no jersey waving, no standing on the scorer's table, no jumping up and down. Nothing. The Lakers went over and shook hands with the Nets and then hung around long enough to grab some hardware.

That's this year's Lakers in a nutshell. Been there, done that.

Just how long will we be stuck watching Shaq clear out the lane, Kobe pose as MJ, Robert Horry killing us softly? Tyson in Sacramento wants to know the same thing . . .

Q: I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in saying I'm sick of the Lakers. My question is, are the Lakers sick of the Lakers? It seemed to me Shaq's primary motivation for playing hard was to speed up his summer vacation. Kobe seemed to be sleepwalking. And Phil? That grin has to be one of the most irritating things I've ever seen. Any chance that the Lakers break it up this summer? -- Tyson, Sacramento, Calif.

FORD: No. Jerry Buss is not Jerry Krause. The Lakers aren't greedy. They know a good gig when they see one. They're not breaking up this team to prove that organizations, not players win championships. Right now, the combination of Phil Jackson and Shaq wins championships. With that said, the Lakers do have a challenge or two this summer. First, a Lakers source told Insider a few months ago that Shaq was pondering sitting out next season if the Lakers won the title. He's exhausted, banged up and isn't as motivated as he's been in years past. The source has since backed off that statement, but the team knows they'll have their hands full getting Shaq healthy, in shape, and most importantly, motivated for the upcoming season.

Wouldn't a Shaq sabbatical make things interesting next season? Without the Big Fella, the Lakers would be lucky to make the playoffs in the West, Kobe would average 35 points a game and finally there would be some real intrigue in the NBA. Teams would quit obsessing about stopping Shaq, Kings fans could finally quit looking over their shoulder, and NBA refs could sleep at night with a clear conscience. Don't count on it happening, but it's always nice to dream.

They also have seven potential free agents. The two big ones are Devean George and Samaki Walker. George is their small forward of the future, but they're going to have a hard time signing him. George not only wants some money, he wants a chance to shine somewhere. That will never happen in Kobe and Shaq's shadow. A strong Finals performance in Game 4 probably will give him the momentum he needs to get a nice mid-level exception offer from several small forward deprived teams like Denver, Memphis, Philly and Washington. Walker will probably opt out of his contract. He's been very inconsistent but his departure means the Lakers need to go back and figure out who backs up Shaq. Lindsey Hunter, Mitch Richmond, Brian Shaw and Stanislav Medvedenko are likely gone as well.

Q: Great article on the Lakers' interest in Qyntel Woods. It piqued my interest and the interests of many fellow Laker fans. My question is: What are the percentages of the Lakers actually pulling this trade off? The people on my message board and the Clippers' message board cannot fathom the idea of the Clippers being willing to take Rick Fox or Robert Horry for the No. 8 pick. We tried and tried to come up with a combination of players, aside from Kobe and Shaq, that could validate such a trade, but could not think of anything. Can you please explain the logic behind the Clippers even thinking about this trade. -- Gary, Los Angeles

FORD: You're right, it's a long shot. The Lakers don't have a lot of depth and their draft picks will always be stuck at the end of the first round. When I talked to Woods he had no idea, and his agent won't comment at all on the workout. Neither will the Lakers. For the Lakers to pull this deal off, they'll have to take on a bad contract or two while moving a good contract like Horry's or Hunter's. The ironic thing is that the Clippers don't really have any bad contracts. However, a few teams like the Knicks and Cavs do. Still, I hear their primary target is the Clippers. Maybe they'll throw in three million in cash. You know Donald Sterling couldn't turn that down.

Q: Kenyon Martin was sure hard on several of his teammates Wednesday night. Sure, Martin showed up in the first and fourth quarter, but where was he in the second and third? Why should the Nets mess with this team at all? They were the best team in the East. Unless they plan to get a player who can guard Shaq, should they really be shipping out Van Horn or Kittles so quickly? -- Brett, New York

FORD: I think the problem is that they're desperate to figure out a way to keep Jason Kidd. Kidd's a free agent in 2003 and he's put Nets management on notice that the team needs more talent. Van Horn has been the Nets' whipping boy for the last few years and needs a change. Obviously, the Nets would love to get their hands on a player like Antonio McDyess or Karl Malone, but the team will have to give up more than Van Horn to get it done. The team also needs to get Kidd a few blows in the game and will search out a veteran point via free agency. A trade could rock the team's chemistry, but the Nets still need a lot of work. I think the struggles in the East were a bit of an aberration. They'll have more challenges next season.

Q: I just wanted to know where Mike Bibby will be dribbling a basketball next year. I've heard the Kings will do all they can to keep Bibby, but the price may be right elsewhere. Where do you think Bibby will be by October? -- Tim, Buffalo, N.Y.

FORD: He says he wants to stay in Sacramento and I think, after his stellar playoff performance, the Kings will be willing to pay him. He showed that he's willing to step up and shoot the big shot with the game on the line. That quality is priceless.

Q: Great scoop on the Warriors and Grizzlies flying to Italy to check out Tskitishivili. Do you think he has a realistic chance to go that high? Doesn't Phoenix seem like a more realistic destination? -- Durell, Mesa, Ariz.

FORD: If Mike Dunleavy pulls out of the draft, I think there's a great chance that he doesn't slip past the Grizzlies at No. 4. The Warriors took a long look at Gasol last year and could use a talent like Skita. The word in Chicago was that they'll take Dunleavy if he's in the draft and Drew Gooden if he's not. However, something has possessed GM Gary St. Jean to head to Italy. I think it would be a great pick for the Warriors. As far as the Grizzlies are concerned, most of the basketball staff is behind Skita. The biggest stumbling block is that Jerry West hasn't seen him play in person. If he ends up making the trip to Italy, you can pretty much bank on them going with Skita. The Cavs are also interested in Skita. I don't think he's around when the Suns pick at No. 9.

Q: I read that the Sixers maintain that they're not trading their first-round pick to the Warriors and I just noticed that now they're bringing in a bunch of players for draft workouts. Is the trade that Insider reported now off? -- Phil, Pittsburgh

FORD: No, several league sources with knowledge of the situation insist that the trade is still on. Look at the people the Sixers are bringing in. Tayshaun Prince, Fred Jones, Chris Jefferies, DeAngelo Collins and John Salmons. Those guys all have a shot at slipping into the second round. The Sixers cannot actually make this trade until after the draft because they owe a pick to the Celtics. Although Insider doesn't know all of the details of the deal, expect the Sixers to pick up the Warriors' second-round pick (No. 30) as part of the deal. Considering that the T-Wolves aren't drafting, it's actually the 29th pick -- a virtual first-rounder without the three-year guaranteed deal.

Speaking of the Warriors picking up a mid-first round pick . . .

Q: The Warriors have enough players with no defensive ability, so how can they be considering selecting Dan Dickau? That is a team so defensively inept that even a zone does not help. Is the answer really a 6-foot PG who had trouble guarding people against mid-major competition? Frank Williams has to be the guy with that pick. -- Lance

FORD: Williams is a better defender than Dickau, but he can't shoot a lick. I think some fans probably have Dickau underrated. He's one of the draft's best shooters and has surprised the teams he's worked out for with his lateral quickness and toughness. Plus, Dickau is a winner, something the Warriors need very badly. Williams's lackadaisical attitude would be a great fit in Golden State, but I think the Warriors are trying to go a different direction. If he's still on the board, I think Dickau is the Warriors guy.

Q: Why is it impossible to get through a scouting report on Jay Williams without seeing the words "poor free-throw shooter" somewhere in the report? I know, I know, the answer is, "Because he's a poor free-throw shooter." Plus, everyone saw him miss some big ones. I'm just amazed that every report on Williams -- no matter how brief -- harps on his free-throws. Yet no report -- no matter how long -- ever says the same thing about Mike Dunleavy, Jr. Dunleavy was better than Williams by only five percent this past season, according to ESPN's Duke clubhouse. -- Greg, Naperville, Ill.

FORD: I've gotten tons of e-mail claiming that Dunleavy is overrated and that everyone is overlooking his flaws while picking apart Jay Williams's. You're probably right. The irony of the draft is that no one expected Dunleavy to declare this year. While teams definitely scouted him, they didn't do it with the critical eye they used on Williams this year. With Dunleavy refusing to work out, and with him sitting on the fence for the draft, you're not going to hear much criticism. Folks in the NBA want him in the draft. Once's he's officially in next week, expect the flood of crap to fly. As for Williams's free-throw shooting, I talked with him about it in Chicago. He's sick of it as well. Paul Pierce missed some big free throws in the playoffs. Even the Finals MVP isn't a great free-throw shooter. Williams is determined to get it fixed and you have to believe, given his talents, that he can do it.

The Thrill Is Gone

John Jeansonne / Newsday

Four-Peat? They Have Some Moves to Make

Mark Heisler / Los Angeles Times

Nets Bracing For Changes

Marc Berman / New York Post

Sixers to start working out possible draft choices

Phil Jasner / Philadelphia Daily News

Draft Rumors: Warriors check out Dunleavy

Before embarking on a weekend scouting trip to Italy, Warriors GM Garry St. Jean and assistant GM Gary Fitzsimmons intend to watch Mike Dunleavy work out in Durham, N.C., a league source told the San Francisco Chronicle.

Exactly how will Antawn Jamison, the Warriors' starting small forward and a North Carolina alum, deal with a small forward from Duke?

"Everybody is expecting us to pick Dunleavy," Jamison said. "I wouldn't mind playing with a Duke guy if it helps us win. I love what Dunleavy can do on the court. If it's him, we're going to get a good guy. We should go with the best player available, whether it's a Dunleavy or a Caron Butler or a [Drew] Gooden. You really can't make a bad decision whatsoever. There are a number of guys who look like they can come in and help us right away."

Insider first reported Wednesday that the Warriors were headed to Italy this weekend to check out Nikoloz Tskitishivili in the Italian League finals. If Dunleavy isn't available, the Warriors will seriously consider taking Skita with the No. 3 pick in the draft.

It looks like the Rockets are close to wrapping up Yao Ming. The team successfully negotiated another major hurdle Wednesday, earning the endorsement of Chinese Basketball Association commissioner Xin Lancheng.

"It was a very good meeting," Rockets general counsel Michael Goldberg told the Houston Chronicle. "I'm hopeful that with another meeting or two, we'll be able to have everything resolved. We talked out a lot of things."

The Rockets are scheduled to leave today after four days in China with a preliminary understanding. However, the team still needs to secure approval from the Chinese government before anything can become official.

The Rockets also got to see Yao practice with the Chinese national team. Coach Rudy Tomjanovich was impressed.

"He's a big son of a gun," Tomjanovich said. "The guy showed solid shooting, passing, athleticism. And he had a great personality; he really opened up after a while. He asked about players on our team. He asked about things we did with [Hakeem Olajuwon]. . . Then we actually went out on the floor a little bit, and we talked about a couple of [basketball] things. I'm excited, sure. It was great."

Chris Wilcox had an impressive workout in Chicago Wednesday, two team sources sources who attended the workout told Insider.

"His athleticism and strength for his size is so impressive," one league executive said. "But we knew that. He's really been working on his shooting. I think that is what was most impressive today. If he keeps shooting the ball like that, he'll go real high."

Wilcox has decided to forego private workouts and instead do three general workouts for NBA teams. His first one was Wednesday in Chicago. Next up is a workout in New York Saturday.

Despite agent Bill Duffy's stance that Gooden is done working out, the Nuggets are confident that they'll get Gooden in for a workout before the draft, the Denver Post reported.

Warriors to head East for glimpse of Dunleavy

Brad Weinstein / San Francisco Chronicle

Top official gives OK on Yao

John P. Lopez / Houston Chronicle

China has a new ambassador

John P. Lopez / Houston Chronicle

Rockets Watch Ming after Talk with CBA

Staff / People's Daily

Workout Watch

Chris Wilcox, Caron Butler and Qyntel Woods headlined the players working out Wednesday. Today, Duke's Jay Williams is in Chicago; Caron Butler, Qyntel Woods and Dajuan Wagner are in Cleveland; and Curtis Borchardt and Nene Hilario are in Miami.

Because of the large number of players and workouts Insider has collected, you must click here to go to a complete list of workouts.

• 4 years later...