• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Due to Atlanta's lost to Boston, Atlanta has the 46th overall pick in the draft

NBASupes

46th pick big board:

1. Oscar Tshiebwe - Paul Millsap - https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=oscar-tshiebwe--paul-millsap I think Oscar still has potential. Doesn't have the shooting or scoring abilities of Sap and he's not the shot blocker that Sap is either. I think he's an old-school, dirty work 4 who can really rebound and defend. Not much of a rim protector but has some paint protection skills. He's the best player in the 2nd round of this year's draft and I still think he has some upside to be a really good role player in the NBA. I like his speed and footwork, I think he has some upside at this level. He's very polished like Sap was when he entered the league. 

2. Baylor Scheierman - Kyle Korver lite. 

3. Emoni Bates - Jordan Crawford with more high end 3pt variance and far less playmaking skills https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=emoni-bates--jordan-crawford

4. Adama Sanogo - Polished Isaiah Stewart without the rim protection - https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=adama-sanogo--isaiah-stewart

5. Terrence Shannon Jr. - Shades of Danny Green. Likely G-leaguer for two years - https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=terrence-shannon-jr--danny-green

6. Keyontae Johnson - Medical concerns - Jimmy Butler lite - Sleeper if can pass physical - https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=keyontae-johnson--jimmy-butler

7. Markquis Nowell - He's closer to Bogues more than others but he has a shot - https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=markquis-nowell--isaiah-thomas--kay-felder--sharife-cooper

8. Azuolas Tubelis - Strange World Lauri - https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=azuolas-tubelis--lauri-markkanen I like Azuolas fluidity, movement, defense, post scoring better but all things shooting to Lauri plus Azuolas is more polished with less upside. 

9. Amari Bailey - More athletic with a worse floor and no position but he has upside - https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=amari-bailey--jerryd-bayless

10. Drew Timme - Comp: Moose - https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=drew-timme--mike-muscala

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, thecampster said:

A draft thought to ponder.

We don't have a 1st round pick in 2025, 2027 and SAS has the right to pick swap in 2026.

Yep, and if the Sacramento pick holds we will have two first round picks in 2024.  I think we will make a move to get some draft capital back this summer.  Right now we have 4 total 1sts over the next 5 years.  One more pick brings us up to par.  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Yep, and if the Sacramento pick holds we will have two first round picks in 2024.  I think we will make a move to get some draft capital back this summer.  Right now we have 4 total 1sts over the next 5 years.  One more pick brings us up to par.  

Capela can get us a 1st back. It's hard go find productive centers and everyone looking for cost efficient ones and lucky for us, Clint is fairly paid. The issue is, most of this will take place in 2023 and 2024. It's unlikely we have picks in 25 and 27. 

• Like 1

With all the contracts and extensions we currently are committed to, who are we drafting to compete with this roster and jump ahead of promising youngsters like AJ, OO and JJ, and key vets like Bogi, Dre, and Bey?

Unless we trade some pieces away, there are no minutes for impact rookies.

Murray, Bey and OO are the only rotation players whose contracts expire after next season, and right now each look like guys we would want to keep. So I just don't see the logic in worrying about picks we don't have unless we start packaging guys together to swing at a big fish and open up a few roster spots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

With all the contracts and extensions we currently are committed to, who are we drafting to compete with this roster and jump ahead of promising youngsters like AJ, OO and JJ, and key vets like Bogi, Dre, and Bey?

Unless we trade some pieces away, there are no minutes for impact rookies.

Murray, Bey and OO are the only rotation players whose contracts expire after next season, and right now each look like guys we would want to keep. So I just don't see the logic in worrying about picks we don't have unless we start packaging guys together to swing at a big fish and open up a few roster spots.

I'm with you. Have no problem with no minutes for impact rookies next season... this 2023-24 season is the season that everything will have built toward that we've been going through since Schlenk became GM. And we've invested so much in bringing DJM to the team, and this is the one year remaining on that contract.

My main concern remains my main concern.

Our front office, hopefully, in spite of their relative youth and inexperience, has the maturity, wisdom and humility to let the one basketball mind of any industry-wide regard... our "world-class" coach as the owner referred to him... take a firm lead in driving conversations about what the roster looks like on opening night 2023-24. Q needs to be the architect.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am definitely leaning Nowell at 46. I think he's the best player in the 2nd round and the best player after 10th overall. 

I know I am always extremely high on playmakers hence having Cooper and Giddey in the top 8 of a deep draft class which featured guys I love like Sengun, Murphy III, and Wagner. Giddey was special while Cooper was a bust. Sadly his shooting wasn't NBA level nor was his athleticism for his size.

He also wasn't very strong which smaller guards generally have to be like Boykins, Nate Robinson, Thomas, etc. Bigger guys gotta bounce off of the smaller guard. 

I just really like his game. I see he's dominating the Gleague combine game which is what I want to see. If you can dominate in these games, it generally translates. I moved up Jalen Williams two tiers because of his games. I value them more than college games honestly. Kuzma is another who balled in these games. For me, Nowell is the real deal. I think he's special. He may not be a starter in today's NBA but he's sure as hell a top end backup PG in the range with Tyus Jones. Nowell can shoot too. 

Outside of Nowell, I like 

Oscar Tshiebwe and Baylor Scheierman. I think Sanogo will be a late 1st guy and I think Bates is an undrafted gem if you can really get him to develop defensively as a passer as a scoring 2.

I think he needs the Gleague but he does have some quality but I wouldn't draft Bates honestly. It's really hard to draft someone who's only translatable skills are scoring and tough shot making. That said, his shooting potential is good and he's really tall for a SG.  

• Premium Member

I'm not really all that sure we even keep the pick.

As-is, when you analyze the payroll and 15-man situation, seems there's a real serious chance that we're going to be trying to coax Vit and Tyrese to stay with the team on two-way contracts. Then you also have the potential of last season's guys coming back--Trent Forrest (has one more year of two-way eligibility) and Donovan Williams. Potentially that's 4 players and only 3 slots... and a 2nd round pick would make for a 5th, of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

I'm not really all that sure we even keep the pick.

As-is, when you analyze the payroll and 15-man situation, seems there's a real serious chance that we're going to be trying to coax Vit and Tyrese to stay with the team on two-way contracts. Then you also have the potential of last season's guys coming back--Trent Forrest (has one more year of two-way eligibility) and Donovan Williams. Potentially that's 4 players and only 3 slots... and a 2nd round pick would make for a 5th, of course.

I am not high on any player you listed. Vit, Tyrese, Trent, or Donovan. Proud of all 4 but would cut all four. Vit is the one I would most likely keep. I think Martin is the best of the four but we got 3 true SGs (Bogi, Griffin, and Matthews) already plus Murray playing SG as a starter. I'll definitely rather take someone at 46 especially if it's someone that I covet compare to these guys which I don't. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I am not high on any player you listed. Vit, Tyrese, Trent, or Donovan. Proud of all 4 but would cut all four. Vit is the one I would most likely keep. I think Martin is the best of the four but we got 3 true SGs (Bogi, Griffin, and Matthews) already plus Murray playing SG as a starter. I'll definitely rather take someone at 46 especially if it's someone that I covet compare to these guys which I don't. 

I'm not high on any of them, either. Just saying what seems, for now, likely versus what any one of us might prefer. We're told Tony has been a motivating factor in selling 2nds previously. Schlenk may be gone, but that motivation might not be.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

I'm not high on any of them, either. Just saying what seems, for now, likely versus what any one of us might prefer. We're told Tony has been a motivating factor in selling 2nds previously. Schlenk may be gone, but that motivation might not be.

We haven't sold a 2nd since the rebuilding years and with our limited cap flexibility, I doubt we will do it for awhile considering how valuable a 2nd is with the new CBA rules. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We haven't sold a 2nd since the rebuilding years

To be fair to your point, yes, we still ended up with a late 2nd pick (10 slots back iirc).

But.

2023-05-14_12-24-17.png

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I doubt we will do it for awhile considering how valuable a 2nd is with the new CBA rules. 

Lost me. Are you talking about not having to use MLE or cap space to sign, b/c of the new 2nd rounder exception? If so, I hear that, but that doesn't mean that contract doesn't still count against your payroll, of course... so I'm really not sure why you feel it is so much more valuable than before. It's just less complicated to sign them.

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We haven't sold a 2nd since the rebuilding years and with our limited cap flexibility, I doubt we will do it for awhile considering how valuable a 2nd is with the new CBA rules. 

We don’t even have hardly any seconds left, do we? Didn’t we trade like five of them away in the Bey trade?

We have a 15 man roster + our three G League 2 way players.  The question becomes, "Will our 2nd round pick be better than one of these?"  In fact, we could say this about our first round pick.

Could we trade either of these two draft picks (Or both) along with some of our current players (Package deal) for another NBA player?  The deal is possible.  Is it practical?  We have a lot of youth on our team and G League Skyhawks.

:bb:

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

We have a 15 man roster + our three G League 2 way players.  The question becomes, "Will our 2nd round pick be better than one of these?"  In fact, we could say this about our first round pick.

Could we trade either of these two draft picks (Or both) along with some of our current players (Package deal) for another NBA player?  The deal is possible.  Is it practical?  We have a lot of youth on our team and G League Skyhawks.

:bb:

Ww have 4 unguaranteed contracts in Bruno, Martin, Vit and Mathues plus 2 Two way players....that's 6 players. I expect at least changes to half of them, plus the additional 2way.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Wasn't he touted as 'The Next' a few years ago? What happened to him?

Ya he fell but I’ve seen him alive at the end of round 1 mocks. Usually kids fall right out when they fall like he did but I’m not sure what happened. He was the consensus #1 a few years back.

• Thanks 1

For our 2nd …

1) Reece Beekman. Nothing overtly stands out, but watching him … he just seems like he’s going to be a standout backup PG. Tyus Jones archetype. He seems completely capable of running the second unit at a high level with good D. I believe he could have a solid 10+ year career. 

2) Daron Holmes. Didn’t measure “great” for a center. But I think He has enough size/athleticism and good enough hands to be a really steady back up 5 in the league for a long time. 

for 2nd rounders that’s all I could ask for. With that said, I really like Reece in our spot.