• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interesting take from an outside opinion

Peoriabird

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, shakes said:

tanked for Wemby

1. As-if one can tank, and expect  to end up with a specific player.

2. As-if ATL in particular has ever had any luck ending up with the #1 pick.

3. As-if every highly-coveted #1 pick has lived up to the career that was anticipated for him as a matter of talent, and just as soberly, as-if bad knees or other Greg Oden-like issues haven't prevented Lew Alcindor-like results of multiple titles.

tenor.gif?itemid=15455688

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Greetings, Squawkers! You've stumbled on to the thread featuring today's WORD OF THE DAY!!! 😄

2023-04-18_10-36-42.png

And for those still struggling to understand the concept, our friend shakes has been so kind as to offer up an incredibly astute example for ya....

24 minutes ago, shakes said:

I want credit yada yada yada

... followed by...

14 minutes ago, shakes said:

^^GIVE ME ATTENTION NOW!

Thanks, shakes. You've always been so good at that kind of thing, and we're all better educated as a result.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Dunning-Kruger

I so wanted to offer some nifty clever comeback to this, but anything I can think of just falls so short when the other person has set the bar so high with the inclusion of a high-brow word label that sends many running to their Google search window to interpret... including myself, except my wife bought me the t-shirt, so I just had to look in that drawer... 😉 ...

bDR07no6PMWfMnPXcRHGR2F04NklgfrhaBB8uWw=

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

If I want to get wise to how other Hawks fans think about x, y or z, the very first thing I'll do is visit Hawksquawk, and browse the All Activity page aggregating the most recent posts.

By contrast, the last thing I'll do is watch a YouTube video posted by Joe Schmo or Jane Schmae. Too many disappointments over time, too many seconds wasted on displays of tragically shallow reasoning.

Sure it happens on HS, too, but the wasted seconds is a tiny fraction by comparison... and, with that, let's be honest... some people here have earned the reputation for posting thoughtful, meaty stuff, and others... well... no need to point fingers, but let's just say they don't seem to even care to gain that reputation. Nuff said.

• Like 2

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, shakes said:

love you guys taking a victory lap cause these bums managed to cut into a 30 point lead when the other team let off the gas and still lose by double digits.   Do we count this as a Hawks victory historically?    

I feel like even though you quoted me you didn't bother reading my post in making this a more provocative "hot take" type of response.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

If the commentator meant to say that he would have just said the game was over at halftime.  Finish means the end of the fourth quarter.  This isn't that complicated.  There are games where teams are soundly whipped in both the first and the second halves.  In this game, we got crushed in the first half.  Even if you want to qualify the second half as meaningless or garbage time, we absolutely didn't get dominated in the second half.

Read it again (or for the firs time).  I said it would be valid to say the game was over at halftime.  I suggested the second half could be viewed as meaningless or garbage time.  But that is different than saying we got dominated.  

Look at it like this, imagine a scenario where both sides played only their worst 5 players in the second half.  That didn't happen but the extreme example may help simplify the discussion.  I think everyone would agree that second half would be meaningless.  But if our scrubs beat their scrubs would you say we got dominated in the second half?  Of course not.  Whether something is garbage time does not speak to which team plays better during that time and "that time" is half the game not the last 2 minutes.  

Game was over at halftime = a fair take.  (Huge comebacks have happened but most games with that kind of lopsided margin at the half never get competitive.)

Garbage time second half = debatable.  Boston kept playing their starters when playing your bench is usually the defining trait of "garbage time" but we never truly threatened either so I think there is a valid case that can be made depending on the perspective of the poster.

Hawks got dominated in the second half = flat out wrong.

There is no victory lap here.  We got beat.  Just asking people to be accurate in what they say.  I don't think that is asking too much.

• Like 1

Shakes is a true Hawk fan.  If you want to read about the NBA Atlanta trash team, go to Boston's RealGM websight and read their take on the Hawks.

If anyone will admit that this Hawk team didn't preform up to your personal expectations, either for the past season or the 1st game of the playoffs, you will see what he's saying.  I know that I'm always optimistic whenever I watch the Hawks.  I really felt let down in our 1st playoff game, especially the 1st half.

Hawks won the second half.  No, Boston didn't let up.  They kept their starters in.  They got kinda nervous when we made our final run and that 30 point halftime lead began to shrink.  They are not as good as their 1st half would indicate.  Hawks are not as bad as their 1st half would indicate.

Quin said, "Continue to shoot the ball.  Shots are sure to begin to fall."  They did.  If the two halves were reversed, I would worry.  Build a 1st half lead.  Be outscored 30 in the 2nd half.  Didn't happen that way.  The Hawks second half gives us hope for tonight and the remainder of the playoffs.

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

I so wanted to offer some nifty clever comeback to this, but anything I can think of just falls so short when the other person has set the bar so high with the inclusion of a high-brow word label that sends many running to their Google search window to interpret... including myself, except my wife bought me the t-shirt, so I just had to look in that drawer... 😉 ...

I need this teeshirt lol

• Haha 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, sturt said:

2 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

I need this teeshirt lol

I need for sturt's wife to be there when we grab dinner together for some hypothetical future game night!  I think she would get along well with my wife for sure.

There's nothing "interesting" about this take other than it jibes with certain folks' anti-Trae opinions.  You know, the opinions that hover and wait for bad things to happen to surface and pretend to be original thoughts. The same opinions that "forget" their log-ins when good things happen.

At this point, I'm waiting for these folks to tell us MIA tanked the play-in game because they knew Giannis would get hurt so that was the easier route.  You know it's coming. 

• Like 1

He really is a rhythm player, and confidence is a big part of that, he is just uncomfortable at this point.  Im not gonna say we are seeing the real the trae right now or not, but once the league figured out to defend him/hawks, he has not adjusted to that yet.  When he was at a good percentage with 3s he knocking down a lot of rhythm stuff early in the set based 9n how the teams were defending the PNR the way we played and the team was a fit when that worked, it doesn't anymore and here we are.  Trae I believe really is trying to let quin help him but it's not gonna be easy based on how he used to play and be successful, hes just going to have to look at the game differently and make lot of adjustments.   All we can do is wait and see if he will be able to grow with quin this year.  There's really not much point in us going back and forth about shit when trae is throwing passes to the ref, he is clearly all out of his comfort zone, so it.is what it is at this point. 

Edited by hylndr11
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Three things:

1. Trae was horrible for that 3-minute stretch in the 1st quarter: 3 TOs and 3 missed/blocked shots, lost us the momentum.

2. Quin has been subbing Trae midway thru the first quarter (give or take a minute or 2), then he sits for about 2 minutes, then finishes the quarter.  Here are his last 6 games when Quin subs him.

Dallas - 7:06

Wizards - 6:33

Sixers - 5:45

Miami 5:40

Boston: 4:14

Boston: 6:45

3. Trae typically sits at the end of the bench.

(The author implied Trae was benched and he was pissed so he sat at the end of the bench)

• Like 2