• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Today's Dose of Truth 6-19...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Kevin Huerter is the thermometer of the 21 playoffs. Kev was the Ying to Trae's Yang. 

I know that Trae scored all the points and did all the leading.   But Huerter's game went unnoticed by a lot.   IN the first series vs. NY, he shot 45.5% from 3.  This was a series that Trae dominated.   Kev was dominant beyond the arc.   In the second series vs. Philly (who were a great perimeter defending team) he shot ~38% from three and had the big game 7.     In the Milwaukee game that we showed up with no Trae for most of the series, Kev shot ~26.8% from three.   Welcome back down to earth. 

Our future is one where we will have AJ Griffin being our new Kyle Korver.   I think he will be similar to Kev in that his game will be deliberate.   I think he will be a better shooter than Kev though.   

However, the thing that he will have in common with Kev is that his play with Trae will be ying and yang. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, thecampster said:

A few things you may not have considered and that's Jalen.  Jalen is working on 3 things this off-season. 

1) adding good weight.

2) better first step on defense/reading his man.

3) smoothing out his outside shot 18-20 and 3Pt.

If Jalen can get above 35% from 3, add 10-15lbs and improve that first step on the perimeter....it changes everything we can do with the rest of the roster.

My approach to Jalen has always been wait and see.   He has far less significant indicators of what he will be than AJ.   AJ is on track to be one of the best 3 pt shooters in history based on his rookie year shooting.   Not quite Curry but in the same conversation with Korver and Klay.   AJ has freakishly good size for his age.   AJ has very good timing.   AJ hit a bad slump in the second half of the season, I believe it's the "real" rookie wall.   However, Quin can coach that up.   AJ's biggest hurdle is defense. 

About Jalen, he's exciting in a Josh Smith kind of way.   He has the right body and the athleticism and the explosiveness but his 3 pt percentage is not as good, his size doesn't quite translate to the 4 yet, and his defense is a bit average at best.  

We have crowned Jalen the next PF.   Honestly though, if JC gets his shooting touch back, there's nothing that JJ can do better than JC because JC already has a PF body and if his shooting is right, he has everything else. 

I would think it would be easier for JJ to work on his shooting and replace Hunter.  Hunter lacks what we see in both JJ and Bey.   Yeah.. Bey.   Bey adds new complication.   So I guess we're pigeonholed into making JJ a PF.  Because Bey's shooting is already there at the Sf.  His floor game is already there at the Sf.   He just needs to improve his defense and defensive awareness and I think Quin can develop that. 

The Baby Hawks are all fine.   They are all good.   We are exceedingly deep if we use it right.   We also have more players that can be moved because of them. 

I was reading about the 2020-2021 season and the impact Capela had on our defense.  The article I read said we were the #3 PERIMETER defense in the league.  When Bogi and Capela were in prime condition, the defense with Huerter and Solo did things we haven't seen since.  

This year after the allstar break, many of the top lineups featured a combo with either Bogi and Bey or Bogi and AJ.  That's why Hunter is such a problem if we are committed to Murray.  The defense isn't enough to overcome only having mediocre shooters on the perimeter.  

Super excited to think about Jalen developing though.  A point PF is something we haven't had in a while.  Everyone dogs Josh Smith, but that kid could dribble and pass. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I was reading about the 2020-2021 season and the impact Capela had on our defense.  The article I read said we were the #3 PERIMETER defense in the league.  When Bogi and Capela were in prime condition, the defense with Huerter and Solo did things we haven't seen since.  

This year after the allstar break, many of the top lineups featured a combo with either Bogi and Bey or Bogi and AJ.  That's why Hunter is such a problem if we are committed to Murray.  The defense isn't enough to overcome only having mediocre shooters on the perimeter.  

Super excited to think about Jalen developing though.  A point PF is something we haven't had in a while.  Everyone dogs Josh Smith, but that kid could dribble and pass. 

2 things...

People say that CC's perimeter defense has waned.   I say... not really.   You have to have something on the court with him to allow him to be good.   I was really studying the makeup of that 20-21 team also.  I was trying to see what did Snell and Solo bring.  Offensively, Solo brought nothing.   I wanted to say his bringing nothing was the reason why Trae stepped so far up in the playoffs.   But Solo didn't play enough in the playoffs to say that.  It was Kev was my conclusion.   but back to solo and snell.   They did bring defense that helped Clint.   Not that they were stoppers, but those vets new where to be and what to do.   We got young guys now who can't direct defense.  Hunter is learning on the job.   And Murray is very good on ball but in space (especially on the perimeter) not so much.  It may have been scheme pulling him out of place and that's cool but I suspect that Quin can work with him and he's the type of guy who will soak up everything that Quin says. 

2nd...

Jalen and the point forward.   The reason we like Jalen is that he can dribble and he makes good decisions with the ball.   Something that JC doesn't do so well.   The problem is Jalen doesn't have the basic game that JC has.  i.e. Post, high post,  3pt shooting.   Jalen is akin to a poor man's Siakam (since we've been talking about him) if Jalen has the ball and he's coming downhill, he's trouble.   However, unlike Siakam, he hasn't developed the other parts of his game.  So we don't know what to call him.   I believe he will develop those parts of his game and he will be trouble but the question is how much do you give him?  Will making him the starter ruin him?

13 minutes ago, Diesel said:

2 things...

People say that CC's perimeter defense has waned.   I say... not really.   You have to have something on the court with him to allow him to be good.   I was really studying the makeup of that 20-21 team also.  I was trying to see what did Snell and Solo bring.  Offensively, Solo brought nothing.   I wanted to say his bringing nothing was the reason why Trae stepped so far up in the playoffs.   But Solo didn't play enough in the playoffs to say that.  It was Kev was my conclusion.   but back to solo and snell.   They did bring defense that helped Clint.   Not that they were stoppers, but those vets new where to be and what to do.   We got young guys now who can't direct defense.  Hunter is learning on the job.   And Murray is very good on ball but in space (especially on the perimeter) not so much.  It may have been scheme pulling him out of place and that's cool but I suspect that Quin can work with him and he's the type of guy who will soak up everything that Quin says. 

2nd...

Jalen and the point forward.   The reason we like Jalen is that he can dribble and he makes good decisions with the ball.   Something that JC doesn't do so well.   The problem is Jalen doesn't have the basic game that JC has.  i.e. Post, high post,  3pt shooting.   Jalen is akin to a poor man's Siakam (since we've been talking about him) if Jalen has the ball and he's coming downhill, he's trouble.   However, unlike Siakam, he hasn't developed the other parts of his game.  So we don't know what to call him.   I believe he will develop those parts of his game and he will be trouble but the question is how much do you give him?  Will making him the starter ruin him?

Huerter brought shooting and could create enough for himself if needed.  What's crazy is there were articles written about his defense that year.  

Jalen I think fits best in the 2nd unit for now.  He'll have an opportunity to improve, but not ready to start.  

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Huerter brought shooting and could create enough for himself if needed.  What's crazy is there were articles written about his defense that year.  

Jalen I think fits best in the 2nd unit for now.  He'll have an opportunity to improve, but not ready to start.  

I always Saw Maryland Huerter as our Klay Thompson or poor man's Klay.

Maryland Kev was much better than what we had. Namely because he had no fear.  Maryland Kev made the inside his.  Yes, he was a stone cold shooter but overall, he used his outside shot to give him openings inside.   By the time 2022 came along, Kev was scared to go inside.  He'd go to the inside with his head on a swivel and hurky jerky.   Go back and watch the footage of Maryland Kev.   Maryland Kev had confidence going inside.  He would go in and then rise up over everybody.   When he started with the Kings, I thought he had found Maryland Kev again.   But then the playoffs came and I saw Old Hurky Jerky return.   He needs a sports psychologist because whatever busted up his confidence is keeping him from being a top performer.

We agree on Jalen.  If he gets it together, he will be a star PF. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

We have crowned Jalen the next PF.   Honestly though, if JC gets his shooting touch back, there's nothing that JJ can do better than JC because JC already has a PF body and if his shooting is right, he has everything else.

you do know you're allowed to dribble and pass the ball in basketball, right?

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I remember that....his anticipation for steals and positioning were crazy and he was blocking shots too. Then he got injured.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Huerter is friggen terrible and should never have his name brought up with the playoffs ever again.  the guy had one great game and mostly sucked for the rest.  Then he added to that legacy by being probably the worst starter in the entire playoffs this year.  Ended up losing his minutes by the end of the series.

Softest player in the NBA.  Pure garbage.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

2 things...

2nd...

Uhm....Jalen is really good in the post, but we don't feature it. He has a true back to the basket game.

You need to watch some of his highlights from the skyhawks.  Here watch this game from last year, focus on 40 second through 1:05 mark.  What he lacks is aggressiveness in the post, not size.  Jalen is very afraid of committing the offensive foul. I believe this has to do with Nate's quick hook for rookies/young players.

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Uhm....Jalen is really good in the post, but we don't feature it. He has a true back to the basket game.

You need to watch some of his highlights from the skyhawks.  Here watch this game from last year, focus on 40 second through 1:05 mark.  What he lacks is aggressiveness in the post, not size.  Jalen is very afraid of committing the offensive foul. I believe this has to do with Nate's quick hook for rookies/young players.

Like I said, Johnson is very good going down hill.   He's a good ball handler who can make great passes.  But he doesn't really have a back to the basket game.   1 of those hoops was while he was going down hill (still).   He caught his man in transition and backed him in.  The other was a decent move but I haven't seen him do enough of that to suggest that it's a consistent weapon in his arsenal. 

If he doens't have some momentum going to the post, he is not going to score in the post.  That's a Back to the basket Low post scorers calling card. 

I think we forgot how good preinjury Collins was...