• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

7 hours ago, Sothron said:

There is only two options at this point:

The FO makes use of the TPE to make this team better at either the PF or some other upgrade in the front court.

That's the best case option.

The other option: this was just a pure salary dump and the most we can hope for is a small trade to take back, say, Delon Wright in part of the TPW where we avoid the LT...or we simply do nothing. We just subtract JC and go forward with what we got. 

I just can't see them doing the second option. It would be a PR nightmare.

True, it would be a PR nightmare if the Hawks have a terrible losing season after doing nothing.

But, on the other hand, if the team has a much better winning season, all is forgiven.  

If JC explodes with his new team, watch out!  We Hawk fans will cry out.  If he doesn't, we will quietly let him go.

While it's sad we have to lose JC, the real problem has been paying too much $$$ payroll for the results.

:smug:

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

If a trade is made before the 6th, Atlanta can simply add it into the Utah deal framework. 

Very true but then we aren't talking about the TPE at all.  The TPE will only be created when the Utah deal is completed.

1 minute ago, thecampster said:

This!!!  When tanking, a number of us begged for a pivot, not a tank. This is why. Yes we got Trae, but Cam, Huerter, Collins now all gone.  Most NBA Champs don't tank their way there. Culture, development, savvy trades.

morgan-freeman-pointing.gif

4837448.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

No matter how you spin it, we've now traded 2 of the better first rounders that we tanked to get at ages 24 and 25.   And gotten one first and one second round pick for them.   That's poor team building.  

This feels like 2 separate issues though. The asset management is one thing. That's been a mess for years. 

The financial side is another. I get the "AH THEY'RE SO CHEAP" stuff. I do. But at the same time.....do fans really want to go in the tax for John Collins? Collins is a very good player, but is not worth that on *this* team. His role is diminished. To improve his role you would have to remove/change other pieces. Is that what some wanted? Do you want to bury JJ behind Bey and Collins while also paying Collins $25 million(and LT)? 

This roster has been together for awhile, albeit under some pretty terrible coaching. If you keep everyone and everything the same you can't afford to make any changes. Do we really think the roster yesterday was a title contender *this* year? You have one year before you'd have to make other changes in regards to OO, DJ, and Bey. 

I just have a hard time understanding what fans *wanted* the team to do here(outside of going back 3 years to get real value from Collins)? 

Edited by Afro

6 minutes ago, Afro said:

This feels like 2 separate issues though. The asset management is one thing. That's been a mess for years. 

The financial side is another. I get the "AH THEY'RE SO CHEAP" stuff. I do. But at the same time.....do fans really want to go in the tax for John Collins? Collins is a very good player, but is not worth that on *this* team. His role is diminished. To improve his role you would have to remove/change other pieces. Is that what some wanted? Do you want to bury JJ behind Bey and Collins while also paying Collins $25 million(and LT)? 

This roster has been together for awhile, albeit under some pretty terrible coaching. If you keep everyone and everything the same you can't afford to make any changes. Do we really think the roster yesterday was a title contender? You have one year before you'd have to make other changes in regards to OO, DJ, and Bey. 

I just have a hard time understanding what fans *wanted* the team to do here(outside of going back 3 years to get real value from Collins)? 

1.  Give Quin a chance to set up a real offense.  2.  Convince John to have finger surgery to correct the problems it causes.

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

1.  Give Quin a chance to set up a real offense.  2.  Convince John to have finger surgery to correct the problems it causes.

So what do you do with JJ? I'm just not sure I see this as some great detriment to the future of the Hawks. They have, at least, 2 very good options to fill Collins minutes. So why go into the tax for a player who isnt a need? 

Again, Im fully with yall about the value of this trade, but that ship sailed 3 years ago. Financially, do y'all really want them to go into the tax for Collins? And then next year have to dump him for probably even less(attaching picks TO him) so you can pay the guys you have to like DJ and OO? 

9 minutes ago, Afro said:

That's the one that stood out to me on the sub 25 mill list, but I don't know why the Pistons would do that. Legitimately don't know lol. They don't really need the money do they? 

Not sure. It looks like they could simply cut him if they wanted to save money.  His contract is guaranteed for $2 million this season.  They may want an asset along with the TPE, but Bojan is a great fit for what Quin wants to do.