• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Wait.  I thought that Ressler was the only owner looking to avoid the tax.  

They are still in the tax and have been a tax paying team for the past few seasons. Messy Ressy has never paid it.  And it had more to them being over the 2nd apron which becomes really prohibitive from next offseason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Phunkabilly said:

Wow! That's crazy!

Yup, that's why you rarely see me argue with posters on trade proposals. You have no idea what your team will do in relation to the LT.  LT can get out of hand quick. This is why I think a trade package that saves Phoenix money, gives the a cheap asset or two can work.

11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Decision day tomorrow on Bruno and Garrison.  Will the Hawks guarantee their contracts? Yes or No?

Screenshot_20230628_214146_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think we should guarantee Bruno's deal. Based on free agent centers that are available, he would be one of the best who would expect a vet min deal.

image.thumb.png.1edf1253b5f36a86ac70f6076c8a435a.png

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Suns, NOP, PTL, LAC, OKC may still be options?

@Sothron @thecampster @NBASupes

It definitely removes Houston. 

20 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It's not really about avoiding the tax, Ballmer doesn't care. It's that 2nd apron win the new CBA 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

We took Trae instead of JJJ.  Nobody is proposing that we trade Trae for Ayton.  I think you've got a good argument that people tend to reach for big men but then adding the decision to draft Trae over JJJ seems like you are mixing some very different things.  I think any of us would be thrilled to trade something like CC and a first for JJJ but if you only get one of Luka, Trae or JJJ then that is a very different analysis than whether to try for someone like Ayton.

Not my argument.  My argument centers around the previous arguments I had over this subject.  I said back then that JJJ was better than Ayton, Bamba, and Bagley.  Many argued that he was the 4th big among that group.  I was right.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KB21 said:

There’s avoiding the tax and then there is economic ignorance/irresponsibility.  These people don’t become billionaires paying $110 million for Eric Gordon.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This year could be really ugly if the Hawks are going to roll out basically the same team minus Collins. The decline the team has been having since the 3rd round run will probably continue.

They need to add something. Jalen Johnson barely did anything last year. Now he is suddenly going to start? C'mon now.lol

• Confused 1

• Premium Member

I just read through the cliff notes of the new CBA... There's a lot of non-financial / roster construction and basketball reasons not to be above the second apron now -- can't make trades where you take back more salary, can't use the MLE, can't aggregate players salaries to make a trade, can't sign and trade players, can't send out cash in deals...

On the flip side, it's less punitive financially to be a little bit over the tax.  So after reading that, I wouldn't be surprised if Ressler does dip his toes into the tax for a season or two, but I doubt we'll ever get in the water -- and no team is going to want to be in the deep end for more than a season or two.

• Thanks 4

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

This year could be really ugly if the Hawks are going to roll out basically the same team minus Collins. The decline the team has been having since the 3rd round run will probably continue.

They need to add something. Jalen Johnson barely did anything last year. Now he is suddenly going to start? C'mon now.lol

You seem to place zero value on coaching/development.  Our team is very young and they have one of the top coaching staffs in the league supporting them from here out.  I would be surprised if we didn't get at least a little better, on average, in each of the next few years.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I would be surprised if we didn't get at least a little better, on average, in each of the next few years.

We are gonna be a perennial 50+ win team. That’s what systems with good coaches like Quin and Bud and those guys produce. 

Having said that, I don’t wanna be the Cavs of 1988-92. I wanna make noise in the playoffs! Big noise! Trae championship type of noise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bird_dirt said:

but he will be before the season is over. 

Agree with this. If he grinds and shows out first half, we could possibly depend on him come the 2nd half. But I just think he shouldn’t be the day 1 starter. We need a vet and a big name.

• Like 1

Remember when Milwaukee was winning 40-44 games with Jason Kidd (a bad coach) and won 60 games with Mike Budenholzer in his first year with essentially the same roster?  The Hawks have upgraded at coach like that.  They have that type of coach now.  So, for those that think there will be continued regression, you are completely ignoring how much of a difference having Quin Snyder will make.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Not my argument.  My argument centers around the previous arguments I had over this subject.  I said back then that JJJ was better than Ayton, Bamba, and Bagley.  Many argued that he was the 4th big among that group.  I was right.  

I probably missed your argument since it was so disconnected from talk about current roster building.  I guess the fact that Bamba's name was mentioned and the fact that two or three posters liked  him a lot was the reason.  (Many more posters thought Bamba would be a terrible pick.  He was not a popular choice for Squawkers when we talked about dream picks for that draft and JJJ definitely was better liked by the vast majority of Squawk posters than Bamba.)

Anyway, as JJJ is completely irrelevant to the Hawks in 2023, I'll end this by agreeing with you and many others here that trading Bogi for Bamba would not be the right move for this team.  We badly need shooting and there is nothing Bamba does that CC doesn't do better other than shooting jumpers.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

This is a super strange comment.

1. No one has ever claimed that Ressler is the only owner looking to avoid the tax.
  2. The Clippers have been in the tax for years and are still in the tax so even if people were making that claim that Ressler was the only one (which no one has ever done to my knowledge), this wouldn't even be evidence against that claim.  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1