• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

10 hours ago, thecampster said:

So you've heard Steve Koonin on local AM radio (Atlanta) talking about having deals in place that they thought were going to get done on draft night (which I reported on at the time) and recently as well (which we've all talked about). What I said before is what I said before but with a caveat.

1) No deal is dead but they're at a wall.  There is more out there than KAT/Siakam for the Hawks but these were the 2 deals that were the most close and highest profile. Some deals come together in a day. Some get worked out over a week or two. A smaller percentage of the time deals go through stages where frameworks are created and both sides give a final best offer and they take a cooling off period while each team verifies if they want to take the other's best offer.  That is what's going on now.

2) Remember there are other teams working out deals as well and sometimes this thing gets complicated. Teams get wind of a deal and they get in to either try and get better by being a third party or they jump in to try and steal the deal from one party or the other.  I believe this is what happened with the Siakam deal (actually I know). Because we'd inquired about Siakam  in the past, they approached us about interest in Siakam when they learned we had a stalled framework with Minny.  Trying to steal the opportunity from Minnesota.  By extension, Indiana jumped in to try to supplant Atlanta in the Toronto deal.

3) Atlanta is not the only team with trade chips being added over the next two months. Any extensions that happed after July 15th last year and before the start of training camp also fit into this mold.  Its very possible the deal is waiting on a 3rd party's player to become available.  Below is a list of all players who signed veteran extensions with their team last season. I don't have the dates handy but you can research each player's eligibility to be traded date on fanspo or spotrac, I believe.

What this means is during this cool-off, one of the teams could decide to take the other's best offer and make the deal.  They could also be waiting on a player to become available to take that version of the deal or 3 wait on a player to become available on a 3rd team.  No one is really going to get that detail, even as an insider (again, I don't like this term). Deals held up in contingencies are rarely leaked in full to avoid any possible tampering charges (see mess Philly almost got into over Harden).

Veteran contract extensions:

• Nikola Jokic (Nuggets😞 Five years, maximum salary (story). Projected value of $272,020,000. Includes fifth-year player option and 15% trade kicker. Starts in 2023/24.
  • Devin Booker (Suns😞 Four years, maximum salary (story). Includes 10% trade kicker. Starts in 2024/25.
    • Note: Booker’s starting salary in 2024/25 will be 35% of the ’24/25 salary cap.
  • Karl-Anthony Towns (Timberwolves😞 Four years, maximum salary (story). Includes fourth-year player option. Starts in 2024/25.
    • Note: Towns’ starting salary in 2024/25 will be 35% of the ’24/25 salary cap.
  • Andrew Wiggins (Warriors😞 Four years, $109,000,002 (story). Includes fourth-year player option. Starts in 2023/24.
  • Damian Lillard (Trail Blazers😞 Two years, maximum salary (story). Worth at least $106,552,285 and as much as $121,774,039, depending on ’25/26 salary cap figure. Starts in 2025/26.
  • LeBron James (Lakers😞 Two years, maximum salary (story). Worth at least $97,133,373 and as much as $111,009,571, depending on ’23/24 salary cap figure. Includes second-year player option. Starts in 2023/24.
  • Bogdan Bogdanovic (Hawks😞 Four years, $68,000,000 (story). Includes fourth-year team option. Starts in 2023/24.
  • CJ McCollum (Pelicans😞 Two years, $64,000,000 (story). Starts in 2024/25.
  • Nikola Vucevic (Bulls😞 Three years, $60,000,000 (story). Starts in 2023/24.
  • Harrison Barnes (Kings😞 Three years, $54,000,000 (story). Starts in 2023/24. Includes 10% trade kicker.
  • Naz Reid (Timberwolves😞 Three years, $41,959,296 (story). Includes third-year player option. Starts in 2023/24.
  • Myles Turner (Pacers😞 Two years, $40,903,500 (story). Includes renegotiation ($17,096,500 added to 2022/23 salary; $58,000,000 in total new money). Includes $3MM in incentives. Extension starts in 2023/24.
  • Bojan Bogdanovic (Pistons😞 Two years, $39,032,850 (story). Second year partially guaranteed. Starts in 2023/24.
  • Maxi Kleber (Mavericks😞 Three years, $33,000,000 (story). Starts in 2023/24.
  • Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (Nuggets😞 Two years, $30,145,123 (story). Includes second-year player option. Starts in 2023/24.
  • Pat Connaughton (Bucks😞 Three years, $28,271,607 (story). Includes third-year player option. Starts in 2023/24.
  • Kenrich Williams (Thunder😞 Four years, $27,170,000 (story). Includes fourth-year team option. Starts in 2023/24.
  • Steven Adams (Grizzlies😞 Two years, $25,200,000 (story). Starts in 2023/24.
  • Larry Nance Jr. (Pelicans😞 Two years, $21,580,000 (story). Starts in 2023/24.
  • Al Horford (Celtics😞 Two years, $19,500,000 (story). Includes trade kicker (15% or $500K, whichever is lesser). Starts in 2023/24.
  • Dean Wade (Cavaliers😞 Three years, $18,500,000 (story). Third year partially guaranteed. Starts in 2023/24.
  • John Konchar (Grizzlies😞 Three years, $18,495,000 (story). Starts in 2024/25.
  • Nick Richards (Hornets😞 Three years, $15,000,000 (story). Third year non-guaranteed. Starts in 2023/24.

Moving KAT is very much alive in Minny but it is no small feat.  Few teams are taking on large salaries right now. They are all still feeling out the new CBA.

This is good key information here.

I went back and looked at trades that were completed later in the off season of last year and there was 1 semi big trade with Bojan going to the Pistons in SEPTEMBER and then 1 big trade with Donovan Mitchell going to the cavs in SEPTEMBER.

https://www.nba.com/news/2022-offseason-trade-tracker

so @thecampster is definitely on point that we could or we are simply waiting on a player to become available to be traded and all the major framework is completed.

the big question is who is not eligible to be traded until September? For us the biggest name is Bogi. For other teams who may be involved I have no clue. I never thought about Bogi being in any trade package for Siakam or KAT but it’s possible that he is. Maybe that’s why we traded for Patty Mills….to keep a solid vet guard in the backcourt.

• Thanks 2

On 7/14/2023 at 6:28 AM, Megaloxali said:

Would KAT really be much of a defensive downgrade than JC? I’d argue no…

First post came in rollin like a squawk vet knowing your way around.

Y’all gotta chill with the burners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Sometimes a deal that looks like a minor deal is really a major one.  Patty Mills is now a Hawk.  Remember, we did a 3 for one swap, tightening our roster numbers and saved a nice $$$ payroll number.

Thinking of a later deal, does anyone remember what date, last season, that we obtained Saddiq Bey?  How good is Bey?  Check and see how many teams want him included in a multi-player deal this summer.

Just two of what all of us would call a minor deal.  Some say we have done nothing to change a .500 team and we should expect nothing more this season.  Losing JC and not making moves to replace him is being used as a reason we will be expected to fail. 

Starting the new season with a new/different coach than we started last season gives us hope for better days ahead.  Minor deals that may become major deals.  Draft picks that we believe are pretty good.  And we still have a little room to make a deal or two before the trade deadline.  This is many days in the future.

:smug:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Who is your fav poster? :er:

What made you wanna speak up? 

You know Gray Mule brings them out in spades so don't even...

As for trades, we would've already had a big trade if some big trade partners actually knew what they were doing. 

Toronto as a trade partner is NOT good. They've made 2 off season trades since 2018 and one of those was Kawhi. They are the type that don't know how to run a front office and their fans know it.

We are dealing with delusional teams that have a track record of not having a clear direction.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Megaloxali said:

Why, Sothron, theCampster, and yourself, of course. 

… And because this is just my game. I’m an analytical person, and I enjoy the hypotheticals. This is more that than my current haunt over at BR 🤷🏻‍♀️

He PM’d me AND kg n burd 😃 

Assuming this is accurate, interesting stuff w.r.t. the Siakim pursuit.  As in, it makes the pursuit pretty nonsensical....

image.thumb.png.b800c84d07d667000e4285b3111cdd7e.png

Folks will key on Trae but the point is we're trying to alleviate the reliance on him for 4th qtr scoring.  Siakim doesn't seem to do that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Assuming this is accurate, interesting stuff w.r.t. the Siakim pursuit.  As in, it makes the pursuit pretty nonsensical....

Folks will key on Trae but the point is we're trying to alleviate the reliance on him for 4th qtr scoring.  Siakim doesn't seem to do that. 

Hmmm 🤨 this is a tough one. I could play devil 😈 ad but it’s Sunday 😂 

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Remember when we allegedly could have had Lauri and two firsts for JC lol

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Your boy Embiid got some good numbers

1. This must not include playoffs.

2. He picks and chooses when he plays for this very reason. 

9 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Remember when we allegedly could have had Lauri and two firsts for JC lol

I dont believe that was ever offered.   But yeah, I noticed his numbers.

And, full disclosure, I stole this from the raptors board. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I hear you, but Giannis doesn’t look much better if we are using this as an influential evaluator. Just saying…

3 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I hear you, but Giannis doesn’t look much better if we are using this as an influential evaluator. Just saying…

He's a champ,which means more than a one-off analytical comparison.  Siakim has wilted in the playoffsas has Towns.  So we're forced to thinslice stuff like this on those guys.