• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, AHF said:

We've seen it before.  The big question mark with him is how long until his next injury.  You always have to have your fingers crossed which is why I'm especially happy that he didn't hurt himself during this tournament even more than I enjoyed seeing his standout play.

I could be wrong but haven't all his injuries been related to the knee that he hurt 3 years ago and had surgery on last year.  I'm hoping he's a new man. 

Also not believing for a second we thought he could be our starting SF.  Trae/DJ/Bogi at 30 minutes a game together would be a big defensive issue.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I could be wrong but haven't all his injuries been related to the knee that he hurt 3 years ago and had surgery on last year.  I'm hoping he's a new man. 

Also not believing for a second we thought he could be our starting SF.  Trae/DJ/Bogi at 30 minutes a game together would be a big defensive issue.  

We aren’t any closer to being a contender with Dre Or Bogi getting the starting minutes. We need more star talent so we don’t have to worry which role players are liabilities 

A bit of "receipts" for you.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089580-nba-trade-rumors-hawks-discussed-deandre-hunter-with-pistons-pacers-this-summer

As a reminder, we are to 9/16 which was the day we were looking for for things to heat up again.  Then the above article pops confirming the things we were talking about back in June/July.

With FIBA now over and teams assured of knowing the injury situation of players going into camp, we'll see some rumors heat up now and a few deals in the league will get done going into camp. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Dre is an nice, average 3pt shooter but sharpshooter seems a bit of a stretch for a guy who shot 35% from 3 last year.  I guess clickbait titles need of sizzle and "versatile defender" doesn't have the same punch.

• Like 4

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

The more I read about this player named Hunter, the more I am sold on the idea that he needs to be an Atlanta Hawk next season.  He sounds exactly like what we need on this team!!

:peanut-butter-jelly-time:

He legit does fill an important role and is the only good option we have for matching up with big wings.  This is doubly applicable if Bey is spending a lot of time at PF.  So while I'm going to push back on the idea of him being a sharpshooter or whatever, I do think we would be a in a world of hurt if we trade him and don't get back someone who can fill that role.

• Like 2

I’m not a Bufkin believer and playing him backup minutes isn’t really something I want to see.

I would’ve rather seen him packaged for a PF replacement since we added Patty Mills and Bogi will get SG minutes.

Asking Clint to add range is borderline insane

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I’m not a Bufkin believer

I have no real confidence in him but didn't watch him in college so if our GM and coach are really high on him then I'll cross my fingers and hope they are right.  They know more about the game than I ever will but his career to date doesn't inspire me with notions of a star in the making.  If I had to pick, I would easily pick him to trade over our other young players in a Siakam deal.  (In part due to the fact that I am higher on those other players and in part due to the fact that backup PG is not a huge need on a team with Trae and DM.)

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Not that I’m expecting much, but is Patty Mills going to do anything for us? Mainly asking because I would rather see him than Bufkin early in the season (and I could be very wrong with that).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Here's exactly what I am being told on roles 

They want Trae and Murray to play less mins. They want Murray to play more mins at PG.

They want Trae to give max effort in his mins on both ends

Bogi is expected to play more

Even some potential for Bufkin to play 

Griffin is expected to get backup mins

Hunter is expected to play between the 3 and 4 with Bey and JJ. 

They haven't landed on a starter at the 4 yet but Bey is the lean right now. 

Okongwu and Clint are expected to split mins. 

They want OO and Clint to add more shooting range. 

Dre, Bogi, Bey, OO, and Murray are said to have had great improvements over the summer. 

They are really excited about Kobe and Gueye potential. Their refusal to trade either is real 

I haven't heard much on Trae other than they want to maximize his production on both ends. Same for Murray. 

I heard Kobe will be playing a key role on both squads. 

They have very high expectations on what this team can be if everyone plays their role. 

@KB21, you will like what they are cooking up

Reading between the lines here but based on pure speculation it seems like,

They don't see Murray as a long term solution at SG and want Bogi to fill in that role until we can find a younger long term replacement and Murray and Trae will have to compete against each other to solidify themselves as the PG of the future so one of them could be hitting the trade market in the next off season.

They want to have 4 shooters on the floor at all times so JJ and OO roles may not expand as much Hawks fans originally thought.

This season will be more of a transitional season to build a new culture/craft a new play style and to asses who is staying or who should be traded.

2 hours ago, yungsta said:

Reading between the lines here but based on pure speculation it seems like,

They don't see Murray as a long term solution at SG and want Bogi to fill in that role until we can find a younger long term replacement and Murray and Trae will have to compete against each other to solidify themselves as the PG of the future so one of them could be hitting the trade market in the next off season.

They want to have 4 shooters on the floor at all times so JJ and OO roles may not expand as much Hawks fans originally thought.

This season will be more of a transitional season to build a new culture/craft a new play style and to asses who is staying or who should be traded.

It just seems like everyone minutes are going down and everyone in both units will get ample playing time. They want to maximize effort and production 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NBASupes said:

It just seems like everyone minutes are going down and everyone in both units will get ample playing time. They want to maximize effort and production 

Hard to reduce Trae’s minutes when he avgs  less than 35 mpg as is. No star player plays under 33mpg.

I think more substitutions for him vs playing entire 12 min stretches is the likely outcome of trying to get more effort.

If Trae is getting 6 mins runs throughout the game, this will keep him more fresh and keep us from those long offensive lapses when he sits for too long. Maybe more leads late in games means he doesn’t have to finish on the court.  That is how I can realistically see his minutes going down.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Here's exactly what I am being told on roles 

They want Trae and Murray to play less mins. They want Murray to play more mins at PG.

They want Trae to give max effort in his mins on both ends

Bogi is expected to play more

Even some potential for Bufkin to play 

Griffin is expected to get backup mins

Hunter is expected to play between the 3 and 4 with Bey and JJ. 

They haven't landed on a starter at the 4 yet but Bey is the lean right now. 

Okongwu and Clint are expected to split mins. 

They want OO and Clint to add more shooting range. 

Dre, Bogi, Bey, OO, and Murray are said to have had great improvements over the summer. 

They are really excited about Kobe and Gueye potential. Their refusal to trade either is real 

I haven't heard much on Trae other than they want to maximize his production on both ends. Same for Murray. 

I heard Kobe will be playing a key role on both squads. 

They have very high expectations on what this team can be if everyone plays their role. 

@KB21, you will like what they are cooking up

This is why I'm so excited for this season.  Are we going to win a chip this season?  Extremely unlikely -- but it's going to be really fun watching these guys develop and seeing who rises to the top.

• Premium Member

And while I know the reaction here will be overwhelmingly negative to this train of thought, I still think we are low key preparing for a Trae Young-less Hawks team in the future, and we are positioning ourselves to have continued success when that day comes.  Other than having actual schemes, a modern offense, and a great development staff, this new coaching regime is bringing in a new culture that is no longer do everything to appease Trae and build around Trae.  It's possible Trae adapts well and starts playing team ball, but I honestly won't be surprised if he's on the block by next summer.  The power shift in the org has quickly shifted from Trae Young to Quin Snyder.  Really interested to see how things play out over the next year or so.

• Confused 1