• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

This is the last time we had a high pick and traded down for a good player and additional assets. 
Despite how good Trae has been, Luka is the better of the two, and people still can’t move on from it. People will be talking about that trade for the rest of their careers. 
This is why I don’t want the Hawks to trade their pick this year. Can you imagine how insufferable the noise would be if they trade the first number one pick in the team’s history and they player goes on the be the best player? 

Pretty much this.  When the Hawks have traded down or out of a high pick, they haven't gotten the best value.  With that history, if they do it with the number one pick, they're going to get killed for it.  It seems the majority of the Hawks fanbase has already decided who the pick should be and the consensus of draft analysts also agree.

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Basically this.  Can't imagine the stress Landry going through right now lol

He has a ton on his plate between what needs to be done with the existing roster and getting this pick right.  Really exciting opportunity but there is no hiding if we don't get it right.  I'm sure he doesn't want to go down with the GMs who took Kandi, Kwame, Bennett, Bargnani, Fultz, etc. at #1.

He is going to chart this team's path for the next 5 years at the least and the range of potential outcomes is massively wide.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Luka, who everyone thinks is the greatest, no miss prospect since Lebron, was passed over by 3 teams and folks don't believe that he wasn't threatening to stay in Europe if he didn't get his way?   In the best draft of the last 20 years teams can't throw away a top 3 pick if him refusing to play is even a remote possibility.  

Particularly with the connection he had with Igor with the Suns that year and Vlade Divac with the Kings.  

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

He has a ton on his plate between what needs to be done with the existing roster and getting this pick right.  Really exciting opportunity but there is no hiding if we don't get it right.  I'm sure he doesn't want to go down with the GMs who took Kandi, Kwame, Bennett, Bargnani, Fultz, etc. at #1.

He is going to chart this team's path for the next 5 years at the least and the range of potential outcomes is massively wide.

This would be the most fun time of the year to be in the front office imo, would love to get in on the scenario modeling at least related to the cap outcomes

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That narrative is bore out of a tremendous bias against Trae for whatever reason. 

It's because Trae's not attractive and I'll die on that hill.  Atrractiveness bias is very real and one of the strongest biases.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Schlenk seems like a very honest, strait forward guy. I would trust his version of events over Ressler. None have spoken publicly of course. 

Yeah I agree. I think the dude just wanted to continue his idea of success from Golden State to Atlanta but that wasn’t allowed to play out which is nuts.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

This would be the most fun time of the year to be in the front office imo, would love to get in on the scenario modeling at least related to the cap outcomes

Hell ya! I’d love to be a fly on Landry’s food near a wall.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Meanwhile, we re-upped on all of our guys with so-called "team friendly" deals.

💯 this is it right here.  Schlenk might have wanted Luka but he also went and overpaid guys he overvalued, likely because they were his draft picks, but that speculation is irrelevant-- he handed out contracts based on potential, not performance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JeffS17 said:

💯 this is it right here.  Schlenk might have wanted Luka but he also went and overpaid guys he overvalued, likely because they were his draft picks, but that speculation is irrelevant-- he handed out contracts based on potential, not performance.

Schlenk wants to repeat the pattern in GS. He saw all the bandwagon kids get Curry jerseys and could relate to a smaller stature dude, he saw this in Trae. Schlenk wanted Trae. 

Schlenk paid his own picks and doubled up on the team’s chemistry rising as he locked up the players he drafted with contracts based on their future potential.

• Premium Member

If the Hawks miss on this pick, they're gonna get criticized for it.  If they trade down and miss or get the shorter end of the stick AGAIN (see 2018), they're REALLY gonna get criticized.  Landry is in a tough spot because Ressler has the final say.  Ressler could disregard the front office for his own agenda with the pick and we would never really know, while Landry would get all of the slander.

• Sad 1

I think a Sarr/Sheppard combo next to Trae is deadly. Don’t know how they get #3 or #4 to get Sheppard but it’s a dream scenario.

With JJ all you need a starting Center and this lineup is awesome

Trae 

Reed Sheppard

Jalen Johnson

Sarr

Center

A Nurkic/Vucevic/Lopez or any other could suffice for Center but that team has shooting, defense, and length in the front court

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1