• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Clingan wouldn't be a bad choice, if we were one piece away from being a contender.  But at the #1 spot, you must take the guy that you project will become the best player in that class.  You only take Clingan if you're trading down.   And if you're trading down, that's a horrible sign for your ability to evaluate players.

Even when Michael Olowakandi was picked 1st in 1998, you still had Vince Carter, Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce, and Antawn Jamison come out of that draft class.

Landry needs to pick the right guy that has the best chance to become a star or superstar player.  Most of us believe that will be Sarr.  Very few of us believe it will be Clingan.  But if Landry sees someone else, and he think he is a can't miss prospect, go ahead and take him.

He just better be right.

That's a good way to say it.  But it seems like not everyone is sold on Sarr.  Their analysis could be in a draft with no future stars, get the guy who is gonna anchor your defense and be a secondary facilitator on offense.  

Risacher is an exciting guy, too.  But I've seen people questioning his defense projecting him to be an average but not good or great defender.  

It's pretty nerve racking.  I've been all over the place with what I think we should do.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

That's a good way to say it.  But it seems like not everyone is sold on Sarr.  Their analysis could be in a draft with no future stars, get the guy who is gonna anchor your defense and be a secondary facilitator on offense.  

Risacher is an exciting guy, too.  But I've seen people questioning his defense projecting him to be an average but not good or great defender.  

It's pretty nerve racking.  I've been all over the place with what I think we should do.  

If you draft Clingan, you will likely be disappointed in the ROI you get long term.  He will be a defensive anchor in a primarily drop PNR coverage setting, but he's not going to give you much else defensively.  You will struggle when he has to play at the level of the screen or on the perimeter.  Offensively, I see no reason to believe he will ever shoot it.  He is a very good passer, so the hope is that there is some untapped skill as a short roll facilitator.  Three years from now, you will be wanting a legit modern big who can defend and shoot from the perimeter.  

7 hours ago, KB21 said:

Here's the thing that irks me about this discussion.  We have some fans who act like there is this drastic gap between Luka and Trae, and that simply isn't the case.  That narrative is bore out of a tremendous bias against Trae for whatever reason.  The fact of the matter is, Luka and Trae are two of the three best shot creators in the entire NBA.

I thought that up into this season but I’m far from that now as the corresponding metrics divergence aligns with the tape.  The list of things Trae can do that Luka can’t is literally 0.

The list of things Luka can do that Trae can’t is extensive to put it mildly.  

They both play the same roles with Jordan level career usage.  It’s no coincidence Luka has taken 2 totally different rosters to the Conference Finals and has 81 more (impactful and within the game flow) triple doubles.  Like a championship boxer he has a feign and counter for everything and processes them at lighting quick speed even though his movement is ultra deliberate.  He’s putting the very best perimeter defenders into grinders every night not to mention his cross court passing from the wing and out of the PNR is an offense to itself.  Yall have to realize how much of a strain it is on a Trae Young led team when he cannot finish through traffic, pass over the top of the defense, nor help out at all the glass.  The “smoke” and “questions” of his leadership intangibles only exacerbate those shortcomings.

How many players can Trae get a standstill jumper off over?  One, two?  How many can Luka shoot over?  All of them.

I’m sorry yall but Trae is done as an impact player with the new officiating, let alone the near golden era of talent we’re in.  And I’m giving him more credit than needed, a 6 year player with insane usage, a -1 on court, and -3 raw net rating is not a viable contributor to winning with playoff metrics that are much more horrible than that.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, benhillboy said:

I thought that up into this season but I’m far from that now as the corresponding metrics divergence shows.  The list of things Trae can do that Luka can’t is literally 0.

The list of things Luka can do that Trae can’t is extensive to put it mildly.  

They both play the same roles with Jordan level career usage.  It’s no coincidence Luka has taken 2 totally different rosters to the Conference Finals and has 81 more (impactful and within the game flow) triple doubles.  Like a championship boxer he has a feign and counter for everything and processes them at lighting quick speed even though his movement is ultra deliberate.  He’s putting the very best perimeter defenders into grinders every night not to mention his cross court passing from the wing and out of the PNR is an offense to itself.  Yall have to realize how much of a strain it is on a Trae Young led team when he cannot finish through traffic, pass over the top of the defense, nor help out any the glass.

I’m sorry yall but Trae is done as an impact player with the new officiating, let alone the near golden era of talent we’re in.  And I’m giving him more credit than needed, a 6 year player with insane usage, a -1 on court, and -3 raw net rating is not a viable contributor to winning with playoff metrics that are much more horrible than that.

Yawn

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Langdon is a big admirer of Dejounte Murray. Be on the lookout for an offer from Detroit 

We're gonna hear a lot of rumors in the next few weeks.  Assuming we get the #5 pick and #1 pick maybe we're looking at Castle, Sheppard, or Risacher paired with Clingan or Sarr. 

Filler from Detroit would include Isaiah Stewart $15M, Fournier $19M, Grimes or Fontecchio.

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

has 81 more (impactful and within the game flow) triple doubles

There's lots of legit reasons to like Luka over Trae but putting this in there just screams agenda.  We've all watched Dallas bigs clear out so Luka can get the defensive board.  Defensive rebounds is the most overrated stat in basketball which makes comparing triple doubles pointless.  Especially between a guy of vastly different sizes.   

I was in person to watch Harden with the Rockets pick a ball up off the floor for his 10th 'rebound' to get his triple double.  No one was going near that thing.  You see a lot of that in Dallas. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

We're gonna hear a lot of rumors in the next few weeks.  Assuming we get the #5 pick and #1 pick maybe we're looking at Castle, Sheppard, or Risacher paired with Clingan or Sarr. 

Filler from Detroit would include Isaiah Stewart $15M, Fournier $19M, Grimes or Fontecchio.

I don’t see what rumor you are talking about.  

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I'm pretty sure I've read that he is the modern center so probably what you heard got confused.

As an aside, this means nothing to me.  I already saw OO and/or CC taking on centers this season most of the time.

What you read isn’t how he feels. Kinda like Anthony Davis. He’s a center but doesn’t want to play it 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I don’t see what rumor you are talking about.  

I literally quoted it.  "Be on the lookout for an offer from Detroit".  You might mean a scoop from Supes isn't a rumor?  

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Langdon is a big admirer of Dejounte Murray. Be on the lookout for an offer from Detroit 

If we can get the 5th pick back I’d do that deal in a heartbeat. They can have Murray…I’m liking the possibility of taking 2 players we really like in the top 8. This draft class has some good talent it’s just very top heavy and not as impressive as whole.

4 hours ago, Jody23 said:

[ ]

Just going to ask since there has now been a public report about Clingan having "fans" within the Hawks.  Do you believe Tony Ressler will yield to the front office this time?

Yup what’s not to believe. Clingan is this draft class Rudy Gobert with good passing ability for a center and a capable 3pt shooter. Clingan doesn’t need to be lights out shooter but if he can just shows he’s a decent spot to shooter and show his defense impact, Clingan will be very good pick in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Word on the street is Sarr has been telling teams in interviews that he doesn’t want to play the 5 and that he views himself as a 4. Shouldn’t really be a shock considering his play style but interested to see what teams think of that 

Yup I thought this was obvious but some still think he’s a center. I think he can play center vs some opponents but certainly not all.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, JTB said:

Yup what’s not to believe. Clingan is this draft class Rudy Gobert with good passing ability for a center and a capable 3pt shooter. Clingan doesn’t need to be lights out shooter but if he can just shows he’s a decent spot to shooter and show his defense impact, Clingan will be very good pick in my opinion.

Putting what's been said here and elsewhere together, the fan of Clingan within the Hawks is Tony Ressler.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that doesn't inspire confidence in getting this pick right.

• Premium Member

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope could earn around $20 million annually as an unrestricted free agent. Caldwell-Pope’s championship experience will be coveted by contenders, but also teams looking to take the next step towards playoff contention. Keep an eye on the Sixers, Spurs and Magic as potential suitors for KCP. The Nuggets would like to re-sign Caldwell-Pope, but their tax bill projected into the second apron could force their hand.

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Sarr and Knecht 🙏

Knecht at 23 will be NBA ready day 1. Trae was at his best with the spacing of Huerter and Bogi next to him on the wings. And don’t forget -

IMG_9708.thumb.jpeg.7431ae68f67c43fd7264f07be80c1ee6.jpeg

Trae / Bogi / Knecht / JJ / OO

Bufkin / AJ / Hunter / Mo G / Sarr

Resign Bey

Edited by ShooterSays

• Premium Member

Right now, Sarr, Risacheer ( I know I butchered his name, I'm tired) and Clingan are the leading candidates. I feel it is going to be between the top two French guys if we keep the pick.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Putting what's been said here and elsewhere together, the fan of Clingan within the Hawks is Tony Ressler.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that doesn't inspire confidence in getting this pick right.

Understood. As of right now I’m all for getting Sarr at #1 but I just want the team and style to fully fit. And as I’ve mentioned I’m not against double dipping in top 8 if we can keep our number 1 and trade for one of the spurs picks or Detroits pick.

weak draft or not, talent is talent when you see it.

10 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Right now, Sarr, Risacheer ( I know I butchered his name, I'm tired) and Clingan are the leading candidates. I feel it is going to be between the top two French guys if we keep the pick.

I hope they keep the pick . Been going back and forth but trading the pick likely doesn’t do us any good. The issue is we all know drafting certain prospects still leaves holes…some bigger than the other. I personally believe center is the most important position to fix this offseason and I don’t think sarr can man center all season long by himself. Yet i would take sarr at 1.