• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

5 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Can’t you make the exact same argument about perimeter defenders struggling near the basket?  

Absolutely not.  They challenge shots too. 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Sothron said:

Right now, Sarr, Risacheer ( I know I butchered his name, I'm tired) and Clingan are the leading candidates. I feel it is going to be between the top two French guys if we keep the pick.

Not likely it happens but there is an off chance they land 2 of their top 3 in the draft. Board would need to break a certain way but it it’s impossible 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Not likely it happens but there is an off chance they land 2 of their top 3 in the draft. Board would need to break a certain way but it it’s impossible 

Let’s do it…. Rum and coke

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Can we get past wanting more PICKS, particularly in THIS draft?

We need more real players if we are really interested in putting together a roster to contend. Not adding more younger and experienced guys. 

We have a plethora of 19-23 year olds that already need developing. Can we get REAL NBA TALENT.

Exactly.  We need to remember that the clock is ticking with Trae.  The Hawks MIGHT have one more season to show him they can build a functional team before he asks out.  Amassing multiple rookies/inexperienced players is not going help the Hawks win in the short term.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkish said:

Can’t you make the exact same argument about perimeter defenders struggling near the basket?  

Yes! The nba is tough especially defensively! You need to be able to adjust for all parts. You have to have  height and length on the perimeter and near the basket. Particularly near the basket you also have to have power or certain opponents will surely bully you.

we could address both these issues in this draft.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Wow ! Now I never thought this was possible but if it is that is extremely interesting. 

28 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Can we get past wanting more PICKS, particularly in THIS draft?

We need more real players if we are really interested in putting together a roster to contend. Not adding more younger and experienced guys. 

We have a plethora of 19-23 year olds that already need developing. Can we get REAL NBA TALENT.

20 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Exactly.  We need to remember that the clock is ticking with Trae.  The Hawks MIGHT have one more season to show him they can build a functional team before he asks out.  Amassing multiple rookies/inexperienced players is not going help the Hawks win in the short term.

@JayBirdHawk and @Jody23 your case makes sense if you don’t think there are any rookies that are nba ready but I actually think it can be argued that there are nba ready players for specific roles.

sarr can certainly come in and impact the defense in a good way utilizing his length and speed as a 7 footer right away. What he will struggle with is offense but I see him more of a spot up shooter for Trae year 1 and 2. Sarrs impact on the defense side isn’t hard to see. He will struggle with bigger centers defensively if we don’t address center but allowing a 7 footer like Sarr to roam and play against bigger wing stars defensively is a step in the right direction and a way he can have impact immediately in my opinion .

Clingan and Edey are both nba ready in my opinion. In different ways but I can see them both being stand out rookies in different roles immediately.

Castle can defend his ass off. I see the same with him as I see with Sarr but at the guard position only. Castle can be POA defender and make impact immediately. Offensively he has a lot to work on. Castle likely can’t start like Sarr, Edey, Clingan year 1 but he’s a great option off the bench on specific situations.

i made this statement earlier a few months ago. Our vets who need to come off the bench is Hunter and Capela. If we are worried about veteran help we already have it here. Take the opportunity to get younger and draft good fitting players around Trae who can have immediate impact on specific roles that can lead to wins.

We are not going to be able to double dip in a strong draft class. We can forget that! Also we have seen rookies immediately have impact year 1 coming into the nba…this is not the NFL folks! Not downplaying how hard the nba is but defense in particular has really changed and many vets aren’t even able to adjust to how the game is being called today 

I’d rather get a top 10 pick and use it on Knecht or Holland (or whoever we identify as a good fit next to Trae) than the crap offers we’ve seen rumored from LAL or NYK.

KAT, JB, MPJ…these guys aren’t walking through the door for Murray. Ingram? Maybe, but I wouldn’t want to pay him $50M a year.

The verdict is already out that Trae and DJM are a negative together on the floor so something has to change there. And I’d rather build around a top 5 or 10 pick rookie than Rui and some crappy future late firsts.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JTB said:
2 hours ago, Jody23 said:

@JayBirdHawk and @Jody23 your case makes sense if you don’t think there are any rookies that are nba ready but I actually think it can be argued that there are nba ready players for specific roles.

Contribute yes, but when viewed with the lens of what you are replacing in your starting lineup leaves me wanting more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Contribute yes, but when viewed with the lens of what you are replacing in your starting lineup leaves me wanting more.

I agree Jay. Except, the Hawks shouldn't get cute and they should just draft Sarr.  The roster construction after that is on the FO.  WHOMEVER they trade between Trae and DJ should net you more than just draft picks.  Fk them picks.  A contributing vet or two to augment your rookie gets this team past the play in. 

And you have pieces that you SHOULD STOP waiting on freaking fitting when they don't.  People clamoring for Edey or Clingan should just get comfortable with another year of Capela.  Forget that! Hunter, Capela and Murray (or Trae) are enough pieces alone to change your roster to the good. That is.... IF the front office don't fumble the rock.  

Ifyou believe none of the above, it's cool, but I'd love to hear about a concrete vision and plan from the FO.  I'm not inspired yet.  As a matter of fact...so far..it smells....

IMB_20190908024452_1Vdp.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

I’d rather get a top 10 pick and use it on Knecht or Holland (or whoever we identify as a good fit next to Trae) than the crap offers we’ve seen rumored from LAL or NYK.

KAT, JB, MPJ…these guys aren’t walking through the door for Murray. Ingram? Maybe, but I wouldn’t want to pay him $50M a year.

The verdict is already out that Trae and DJM are a negative together on the floor so something has to change there. And I’d rather build around a top 5 or 10 pick rookie than Rui and some crappy future late firsts.

I agree. At least with a top 10 pick we have potential upside. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sothron said:

They would probably want to move ivey and 5 for  djm. 

Take it… we can add those pieces to different kinds of deals if they don’t fit us.  

Would #5, Kings pick, Ivey, and Hunter get us in the Mikal Bridges discussion?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

If we draft Knecht aren’t we hoping that he ends up being as good as Bogi?

I can't think of a more disappointing and disastrous draft than Knecht and Sarr. Bogi has literally just enter his prime for his prototype. He's got at least 4 more high end years left. Sarr has astronomical bust potential and rates and I am 100% certain he's gonna bust for Atlanta. Lonzo Ball would be right

Edited by NBASupes
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Maybe so. But I see several starting lineups depending on what is needed.

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

If we draft Knecht aren’t we hoping that he ends up being as good as Bogi?

Knecht seems closer to Korver like to me more so than Bogi. Will definitely take him time to get as good as Bogi offensively but I can see Knecht shot transitioning to the nba immediately.

hes also bigger than Bogi so he MAY fair better on the defensive end than Bogi …depending on matchups of course.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I can't think of a more disappointing and disastrous draft than Knecht and Sarr. Bogi has literally just enter his prime for his prototype. He's got at least 4 more high end years left. Sarr has astronomical bust potential and rates and I am 100% certain he's gonna bust for Atlanta. Lonzo Ball would be right

Is he going to bust as a big time star player?

that’s possible with any prospect in any draft. Nothing is a sure thing.

but even you said Sarrs defense switch ability is going to transition over to the nba immediately.

I agree with you to a certain extent …that’s why if we can draft Sarr + Clingan or Sarr + Edey that would be dream draft for us in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

No one said we were trading Bogi.

Is there a problem with drafting Knecht to back him up and learn from him?

[I disagree with your Sarr takes.]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2