• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

12 minutes ago, JTB said:

Is he going to bust as a big time star player?

that’s possible with any prospect in any draft. Nothing is a sure thing.

but even you said Sarrs defense switch ability is going to transition over to the nba immediately.

I agree with you to a certain extent …that’s why if we can draft Sarr + Clingan or Sarr + Edey that would be dream draft for us in my opinion.

Bro he gonna bust here. 

You got no true centers who aren't washed, you got Gueye and JJ as forwards and they are better than Sarr right now. So if you got no centers with size and bulk and you draft Sarr, what's the message you are saying?

If you selling Sarr as this modern 5, you might as well just replace Marvin as the biggest bust in Atlanta history right now. 

Ya'll trying to be optimistic, as optimistic as I can be, I still see him being a bust here. If he's not, you will end up getting rid of JJ and Trae, was it worth it then. Sure, at that point, he's not a bust but at what cost. 

Throwing away 2025 season or the 2026 season. We don't even control those picks. 

I see this going way bad than good with Sarr. Someone asked me, if we get both Sarr and Clingan or Sarr and Edey, do you still think he would be a bust. Honestly, yep! I just won't care is the only thing. Clingan and Edey solves issues for us and are optimal fits for the Hawks and Edey is also an optimal fit for Trae. So I just won't care. 

There is a path for success in Atlanta with Sarr. 

I just see no chance of Atlanta following it and it's actually the same damn path they just used with JJ. So it's not impossible. I just have no faith in them getting it right. The expectations are just too high but like I said, if you hit on one of them, people tend to look the other way. The issue is if you missed on both. I don't see that happening though. Edey fit with Trae is just too f***ing special and Clingan fit with the Hawks is optimal and he's gonna get the Hawks to the playoffs next year and not just some stupid shit like the play in game. 

Everyone wants us to fail, I feel like even our own fanbase unbeknownst wants the same. 

Edited by NBASupes

4 hours ago, theheroatl said:

No one said we were trading Bogi.

Is there a problem with drafting Knecht to back him up and learn from him?

[I disagree with your Sarr takes]

Then what's the reasoning drafting Knecht? He's not a big wing. His best position is the 2. Also, where does this put Kobe Bufkin who we just invested a lot of time and money into. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Bro he gonna bust here. 

You got no true centers who aren't washed, you got Gueye and JJ as forwards and they are better than Sarr right now. So if you got no centers with size and bulk and you draft Sarr, what's the message you are saying?

If you selling Sarr as this modern 5, you might as well just replace Marvin as the biggest bust in Atlanta history right now. 

Ya'll trying to be optimistic, as optimistic as I can be, I still see him being a bust here. If he's not, you will end up getting rid of JJ and Trae, was it worth it then. Sure, at that point, he's not a bust but at what cost. 

Throwing 2025 season or 2026 season. We don't even control those picks. 

I see this going way bad than good with Sarr. Someone asked me, if we get both Sarr and Clingan or Sarr and Edey, do you still think he would be a bust. Honestly, yep! I just won't care is the only thing. Clingan and Edey solves issues for us and are optimal fits for the Hawks and Edey is also an optimal fit for Trae. So I just won't care. 

There is a path for success in Atlanta with Sarr. 

I just see no chance of Atlanta following it and it's actually the same damn path they just used with JJ. So it's not impossible. I just have no faith in them getting it right. The expectations are just too high but like I said, if you hit on one of them, people tend to look the other way. The issue is if you missed on both. I don't see that happening though. Edey fit with Trae is just too f***ing special and Clingan fit with the Hawks is optimal and he's gonna get the Hawks to the playoffs next year and not just some stupid shit like the play in game. 

Can you be more clear how a combination of Sarr + Clingan or Sarr + Edey would be a bust?!

we will have to agree to disagree. I’m actually in agreement with your takes on Sarr when it comes to not having a big 5 next to him especially in his early years in the nba but that’s exactly why I want to move back into the top 8 to get Clingan or Edey.

Sarrs role year 1 for any team that draft him should specifically be defensive focused especially in ATL. Sarr already has the ability to switch and defend 1-4 and play some 5. No one should rely on his offensive talent right now.

There is absolutely no way you think Sarr will be a bust if he has a big body behind him in Clingan or Edey…no way.

IF we were to draft sarr to play the 5 only then yes we’d be in some trouble but we can have a chance to address our two biggest defensive concerns in this so called weak draft.

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Then what's the reasoning drafting Knecht? He's not a big wing. His best position is the 2. Also, where does this put Kobe Bufkin who we just invested a lot of time and money into. 

People are looking at the shooting ability and wanting a Huerter and Bogi wing combo next to Trae again but we need to focus on defense primarily.

6 minutes ago, JTB said:

Can you be more clear how a combination of Sarr + Clingan or Sarr + Edey would be a bust?!

We have not moved forward in this conversation. We are stuck in 2nd gear. Best to wait until the draft.

2 minutes ago, JTB said:

we will have to agree to disagree. I’m actually in agreement with your takes on Sarr when it comes to not having a big 5 next to him especially in his early years in the nba but that’s exactly why I want to move back into the top 8 to get Clingan or Edey.

Sarrs role year 1 for any team that draft him should specifically be defensive focused especially in ATL. Sarr already has the ability to switch and defend 1-4 and play some 5. No one should rely on his offensive talent right now.

There is absolutely no way you think Sarr will be a bust if he has a big body behind him in Clingan or Edey…no way.

IF we were to draft sarr to play the 5 only then yes we’d be in some trouble but we can have a chance to address our two biggest defensive concerns in this so called weak draft.

I don't think Clingan or Edey would bust, I believe Sarr will. 

I really don't understand the idea to draft a big wing who's years away. Could it work, sure but he would be backing up the 3 and the 4 and we really don't know what we got till year 3. Could he then blossom, sure. But, that's along time and a lot of patience. 

The idea of if he hits in my eyes

Trae

Bogi

Sarr

JJ

Edey or Clingan

Would be intriguing to me. The question is, do the Hawks have the patience to wait for his skills to develop and does Sarr put his head down and understand that he's not close and he needs to figure out what Trae needs, work on that while developing his game. That's what JJ did. 

I'm gonna steal this post from reddit:

Can you name a player that's good in the NBA that plays like Edey? Massive, slow, no offensive game outside of points in the post.

He'd be a top 10 pick in the 80s, but in today's NBA game he probably won't make it past his rookie contract in the league.

You really spam post about Edey but the more I watch his tape, the more I think he is second round material.

EDEY SUCKS.

[]

Edey is a freak athlete for 7'5. He ain't ****ing slow. I already timed him and Gobert running in game and he beat Gobert and only starred speeding half way. Edey constantly beats other bigs down the court. 

How do you have one of the best PPP for PnRs as a qualified roller and have no points outside of the post? He did it last year on more volume than Lively and did it this year with top 10 volume as a PnR roller. 

How can you lead college Basketball points off of offensive rebounds if you can only score post points? 

[]

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't think Clingan or Edey would bust, I believe Sarr will. 

I really don't understand the idea to draft a big wing who's years away. Could it work, sure but he would be backing up the 3 and the 4 and we really don't know what we got till year 3. Could he then blossom, sure. But, that's along time and a lot of patience. 

The idea of if he hits in my eyes

Trae

Bogi

Sarr

JJ

Edey or Clingan

Would be intriguing to me. The question is, do the Hawks have the patience to wait for his skills to develop and does Sarr put his head down and understand that he's not close and he needs to figure out what Trae needs, work on that while developing his game. That's what JJ did. 

Ok the part in bold answers my question.

That’s a really deep analysis. I’m purely speaking from a talent perspective but you’re speaking from a personal and basketball IQ perspective….

i can’t comment on that because anything can happen.

IF you think Sarr is going to be cocky and want to be the star right away, more so a player first mentality just because he’s the number 1 pick then yes I can see that being an issue for sure. The hope is that Sarr is team focus and will play his role while the rest of his game develops.

sounds to me you believe a Sarr + Clingan/Edey lineup would work well but the mindset and team first focus has to be there. In my opinion if any of these guys can’t acknowledge that Trae is our center piece star then we are going to have a shit load of trouble no matter who the pick is.

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Cavs have Allen with Mobley. We need our own Allen to really maximize Sarr imo. 

Exactly Soth!

if the hawks are looking to draft Sarr and get back in the top 8 to guarantee a pick of Clingan or Edey that would be extremely smart of the FO! 

• Thanks 1

I'm gonna steal this post from reddit:

Can you name a player that's good in the NBA that plays like Edey? Massive, slow, no offensive game outside of points in the post.

He'd be a top 10 pick in the 80s, but in today's NBA game he probably won't make it past his rookie contract in the league.

You really spam post about Edey but the more I watch his tape, the more I think he is second round material.

EDEY SUCKS.

[]

Yup

8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Cavs are going to move on from Allen and play Mobley at the so called center spot.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

My 3 issues with this is

Yes, we do need a center, that's true but JJ fits Trae so much. I know, so did JC but I always knew JC fit will peak once we are a playoff team which is why I was always trying to trade him. JJ may have limits, Josh Smith level most likely but are we sure Sarr can get to that level at some point. Talent wise, he could. If this was JC, I wouldn't really have any issues with the Sarr decision as long as we came back and got one of these true centers. But with JJ. I just don't know, I think we can win a title with JJ as the 4th option. I never saw use being able to win a title with JC ever much less a serious playoff team.

My issue is that. We all know, everyone wants to play big wings at the 4 in today's NBA so Sarr can play either or in the modern NBA. 

For me, maybe I am just higher on JJ, then I am Grant or Kuz. I really like his fit with Trae and I don't think it's fool's gold like JC and Trae.

7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Cavs are going to move on from Allen and play Mobley at the so called center spot.  

That would be a disaster for Evan. He played more center this year and his metrics at the 5 were way worse. His team was better when he was off the court. He honestly hasn't really been a fit with Mitchell whereas Allen has. Allen team has been superior with him than without him. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, JTB said:

Ok the part in bold answers my question.

That’s a really deep analysis. I’m purely speaking from a talent perspective but you’re speaking from a personal and basketball IQ perspective….

i can’t comment on that because anything can happen.

IF you think Sarr is going to be cocky and want to be the star right away, more so a player first mentality just because he’s the number 1 pick then yes I can see that being an issue for sure. The hope is that Sarr is team focus and will play his role while the rest of his game develops.

sounds to me you believe a Sarr + Clingan/Edey lineup would work well but the mindset and team first focus has to be there. In my opinion if any of these guys can’t acknowledge that Trae is our center piece star then we are going to have a shit load of trouble no matter who the pick is.

At the end of the day, everything matters. Quin and recently OO said it best, progression isn't linear. Shit has to align.

That 1st pick is a serious investment. One I don't take lightly. I know most Here will run from their bad opinions if Sarr bust and blame the Hawks org but it's not that simple. A.J. looked like a sure fire solid role player that some thought should be ahead of Hunter and now he doesn't even get mention by anyone on here when it comes to the future.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That is a  big mistake no pun intended. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I hope so.. Allen would be a huge get... Allen next to Sarr will Soar

• Like 1