2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

51 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

The 2nd apron is still brand new.  We haven't seen the full impact of it yet.  Many teams are going to bury themselves giving out these max contracts to non all-star players.  They don't even realize it yet.  Non stars making 50-60 million are going to quickly become negative value contracts that can't be moved and the teams will be stuck.

Not true.

This is said all the time about so-called bad contracts.   There will always be a buyer somewhere.

Look at how many times Westbrook was moved.

Plus this salary cap is going to go up at least 10% every year, once the new CBA kicks in.

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I think it was a straight salary dump more than anything. Hayward is a $30 mil expiring which clears OKC's cap sheet.

Gordo's wife got something to say though, 😆 

21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think it was a straight salary dump more than anything. Hayward is a $30 mil expiring which clears OKC's cap sheet.

Gordo's wife got something to say though, 😆 

It was a straight salary dump. Presti is just CYA. NBA players and wives just get in denial.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

One of reasons why he's one the best in the business. He admits when he's made a mistake, and he cuts his losses. His drafting and trading has been as good as anyone. It also helps he doesn't have an owner cutting him at knees like we do. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Jimmy Butler wants max extension preferably with the Heat?

i_c8_98_e1_jimmy-butler.png?w=190

Anthony Chiang: Jimmy Butler wants a max extension this offseason, preferably from the Heat. But whether it’s from the Heat or another team, he wants a max extension. Or Butler can become a free agent by declining his player option next offseason and look for a max contract then.

Sixers prepared to offer Jimmy Butler max extension if he leaves Miami via trade?

i_c8_98_e1_jimmy-butler.png?w=190

It’s no secret that the 76ers are closely monitoring Jimmy Butler’s contract situation with the Miami Heat. The Sixers view him as a fallback option if they are unable to sign Paul George in free agency. And, according to sources, the Sixers are prepared to give Butler a maximum-salary extension if things align and he forces a trade out of Miami.

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2024 at 2:55 PM, Hawkish said:

I hear you.  Do you think DJ can be the PG on a high-level team?  

I don't think there is enough evidence to support that, but I think that he could accept being a 2nd option more than Trae would at this point 

• Like 1

Ain’t no way we getting KAT! He was awesome tonight outside of a few bad fouls. Refs don’t respect KAT but clearly he’s needed for them to get any wins to advance forward.

anyways even if our insiders said KAT may be available, i would believe they heard it but it would be hard to believe it has any legs.

with that said….this is my last KAT post as there’s zero chance he’ll ever be a hawk.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, JTB said:

Ain’t no way we getting KAT! He was awesome tonight outside of a few bad fouls. Refs don’t respect KAT but clearly he’s needed for them to get any wins to advance forward.

anyways even if our insiders said KAT may be available, i would believe they heard it but it would be hard to believe it has any legs.

with that said….this is my last KAT post as there’s zero chance he’ll ever be a hawk.

lol...stranger things have happened.

I'd love to have KAT, Sarr and Bridges added to the team with JJ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

It's not about the financials anymore though, that's the whole point.  Being over the second apron means no packaging salaries in a trade, no MLE signings, one fewer first rounder available to trade, and consecutive years above the apron means your first round pick drops to 30th regardless of your record.

So when you hear people wanting to retain guys like John Collins and other mediocre, expensive, assets, AND go deep into the tax, that means you no longer have the ability to do a consolidation trade like Hunter+Murray for X max level player.  Paying the tax is not an owner money decision as much as it is a timing window that you want to hit right when your roster is peaking and can contend. 

This is why conversations around paying the tax when we're a middling 8th seed are a complete joke.  We'd be hamstrung to actually make roster moves.  We need to figure out what our core to build around is before we think about going into the tax.  We're still at step 1 because the Murray trade was a failure.  Hopefully we can solve that this summer.

There’s also repeater penalties for teams in the tax multiple times in a four year period.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sothron said:

I hope that shut some folks up about KAT. He was amazing tonight on both ends of the court. 

I’m all for adding a huge piece to the team.  It’d be great to add KAT if he is as great as made out to be.  Having said that, I would hope a $50M player would have an amazing game every so often.  His team is down 3-0– desperate times.  A Trae-KAT-JJ trio doesn’t sound like a contender; yet, it would need to be.  That’s my gripe.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

I don't think there is enough evidence to support that, but I think that he could accept being a 2nd option more than Trae would at this point 

Do you think he is a 2nd option on a Championship contender? I don't.

2 hours ago, theheroatl said:

KAT discussions always end the same way around here lol Some news comes out that makes it obvious they ain’t trading him 

Have we really been talking about trading for KAT for that long?  Two years ago was all about Murray.  When did this first come up?

But I agree there isn't really any news about KAT being on the market.  

• Moderators
15 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

It's a desperation play, one that I'm happy our FO took no part in, even if I liked his fit as a player.  I count this is a good non-move on Landry's resume.

Wait wut?  I thought 'trying' to get Siakam was what was considered good work by the FO?

• Thanks 2