• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

So, DJM and the 8th pick for what will essentially be Herb Jones as the only positive acquisition for the Hawks?  NO!

Did you forget Ingram is a part of the deal? Adding herb and clingan is soooo much better than adding sarr for a win now team 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Mikey said:

Did you forget Ingram is a part of the deal? Adding herb and clingan is soooo much better than adding sarr for a win now team 

Ingram is a negative asset.  

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I get we're trying not to toe the line between win now or rebuild and choose a side, but do you think Trae/BI/Herb/JJ/OO with Bogi, Clingan, Buffkin, and Mo is really all that competitive? How far does that team go?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BangHolman said:

I get we're trying not to toe the line between win now or rebuild and choose a side, but do you think Trae/BI/Herb/JJ/OO with Bogi, Clingan, Buffkin, and Mo is really all that competitive? How far does that team go?

This is a 50 win team and at minimum second round exit. Truly believe that team contends with the Celtics as long as BI is healthy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don’t understand this sentiment. This number 1 pick isn’t good. This player would not go top 5 in many of the recent drafts… 

could perhaps not even sniff top 10 next draft. Getting the guy you want all long and adding one of the best perimeter defenders is a good deal. Many of you just have fallen in love with the idea of sarr 

People said the same thing about kyrie. Great teams are built behind the concept of buying low. 

I agree on the ‘buy low’ aspect.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Mikey said:

This is a 50 win team and at minimum second round exit. Truly believe that team contends with the Celtics as long as BI is healthy 

5 of those guys are injury prone too: BI, JJ, OO, Bogi, and Mo.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

On this I'll say one thing, the East is wide a**open.  Folks really have to understand we're not as far off as it seems.

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I agree on the ‘buy low’ aspect.  

You can only buy low on Ingram if he is worth more than a max contract.  LeBron has clearly been worth way more than a max contract for most of his career so paying him a max salary is absolutely worth it.

I am very skeptical whether Ingram is worth more than a max salary.  Trading for him as a pending UFA really limits the upside you can get by acquiring him at a discounted price because next year you have to pay enough to keep him as an UFA.  If he has a great season, you can pay him more than any other team to keep him otherwise he is capable of walking away for a max deal with another team so definite risk there even if he ends up clicking and playing great in Atlanta.    

Most of the Ingram advocates have made the case that he will likely be forced to sign a deal for significantly less than a max contract so at that point you are assuming he has a season that isn't good enough to generate a max offer which means you aren't buying all that low given how historically guys get overpaid as unrestricted free agents.

(Since Kyrie's name was mentioned, I'll note that he was not a pending free agent and is paid $37M this year and $40M next year whereas to keep Ingram you might be paying him ~$207M over the next 4 years so he is significantly more costly than Kyrie while not being as good as an engaged Kyrie.  I'll grant that the odds of him doing something insane like we've seen from Kyrie are lower.)

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, parfait said:

If they're strongly considering a drop down with SA to get #4 and #8, I wonder if they've also worked out a slight slide-up to #3 with Houston to get Clingan there?

we have a winner

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

This feels really ugly as far as wing defense:

Trae / Bufkin

Bogi / Knecht

Ingram / Vit

JJ / Nance

Clingan / OO

(Assumes Sothron scenario of drafting Clingan / Knecht and trading Murray and CC for Ingram and Nance).

(Edit:  I think this is a better team than we had this year fwiw.  But then you are paying Ingram $50M because you can't afford to lose him and you are over a barrell.)

You forgot to put Herb in this lineup. One of the proposed trades, the 2nd I posted, was DJM, Capela and Hunter for Ingram, Herb and Nance. 

So that lineup you posted changes to:

Trae/Kobe

Ingram/Bogi/Knecht

Herb/Vit/Knecht

JJ/Nance

Clingan/OO

That's IMO a very good team in the EC for 2024/25 season-onwards. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

So we get Clingan, Herb Jones, and BI for Murray, #1 pick, and i guess Capela or Hunter?  

So basically it costs us 4 first round picks including this year's #1 to get Herb Jones and Clingan. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2