• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Some are going to have to see it to believe it.  If Murray is your best player, you aren’t going to be a good team.  Murray doesn’t have the gravity that Trae has.  He doesn’t have the ability to make those around him better.  It puts the onus on the front office to get players who are better than he is around him, and I don’t see him taking a back seat.  He’s got too much of that Seattle gunner attitude in him.  If Trae is your best player, you can compete for a championship because he will make almost everyone he plays with better.  

I respect your opinion and the contributions you make to the board, and I agree that Trae has considerable gravity. That said, our winning percentage has declined every year since the ECF run with Trae as our best player. Some of this can no doubt be pinned on the front office making cost-cutting moves.

Given cap/apron limitations, what is the team you surround Trae with? I know I asked you this earlier in the thread and you mentioned Okoro as a possible target (as part of the rumored NO deal). If you are the GM right now, specifically (and realistically) which players do you target? Starting five and backups. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

So because the Hawks win a few games against injured and or bottom feeder teams, that means DJM is not much different than Trae? 

That's some real bad logic there. Trae has 2 ELITE skills (passing and playmaking) while DJM is not ELITE at anything. He's above average at a lot of things but not elite. 

There's maybe one offensive skill that DJM is better than Trae at (finishing at the rim). He's also the better defender but even that's by just a small margin. 

Trae us a Top 20 player in the NBA. DJM is Top 50-65 player. 

Like many others, you ignore Trae's flaws. His career FG % is .436. That's not good. He misses too many shots. He just does. That's not going to change. How do you win a championship when your best player is a .436% shooter? Trae has to be a number 2, so he can take less shots and take better shots. Kyrie couldn't win as a number 1. It's just tough for smaller guards to be a number one option. Can Murray be a number 1? No, absolutely not, but he can put up Trae like numbers at a lesser salary, and he can capably guard his position. Overall, Murray's style might not be as flashy or as aesthetically pleasing as Trae's, but his numbers and overall impact on winning is probably comparable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

• Premium Member

For the record...

I don't for one second believe that you can (or should) build a team centered around DJM the way you can with Trae. I do firmly believe that you can trade Trae for a 1A/1B at a different position and be no worse off offensively with DJ at the point...and better on the defensive end.

He's a good PG.

• Like 3

If the Hawks could trade Trae for someone like Devin Booker I am all in on that type of move (since I am getting an alpha scorer back and ), but I would not be in on a trade for a package of good players and future picks.  

IF I were GM I definitely would be prioritizing a Murray trade this off-season.  I don't think the Suns would do it but I would move Murray and the #1 pick (or OO) for Booker if I could.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

[] There's no logical argument that DJM is as good or "only slightly less than" Trae.  You can't make one. 

If you want to talk roster building, there's no rule that says Trae has to be the best player on the team. But this idea that you can just swap Trae for DJM and be just as well is ridiculous. 

Do you know what Dejounte's career Hawks numbers are when Trae is out? 25.1 points, 8.9 assists, 5.7 rebounds. That's 35 games, hardly a small sample size. I don't what metrics you are using, but statistically he has provided reasonably similar production while Trae is out. I guess your argument is qualitative, not quantitative. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Do you know what Dejounte's career Hawks numbers are when Trae is out? 25.1 points, 8.9 assists, 5.7 rebounds. That's 35 games, hardly a small sample size. I don't what metrics you are using, but statistically he has provided reasonably similar production while Trae is out. I guess your argument is qualitative, not quantitative. 

35 games? Really?

He has 200 games in the 3 years prior in SAS where he avg 16pts on 14 FGA and 6 ast. 

He's a scoring guard and a dang good one but he's not making the guys around him better. He's not creating for others.  The assessment is both quantitative and qualitative. 

1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

35 games? Really?

He has 200 games in the 3 years prior in SAS where he avg 16pts on 14 FGA and 6 ast. 

He's a scoring guard and a dang good one but he's not making the guys around him better. He's not creating for others.  The assessment is both quantitative and qualitative. 

With the Hawks, without Trae , he has averaged 9 assists a game. That's an outstanding number. How is that not creating for others? Are you being intentionally obtuse? So Trae's assists count , but Murray's don't. Got it. 

8 hours ago, bleachkit said:

With the Hawks, without Trae , he has averaged 9 assists a game. That's an outstanding number. How is that not creating for others? Are you being intentionally obtuse? So Trae's assists count , but Murray's don't. Got it. 

Not being obtuse at all. I'm saying that's not sustainable for him. Small sample size. Also, in just watching him play, he's not creating open looks for others. With Trae, his gravity and his passing creates opportunities for other players that weren't there otherwise. With DJM, it's just different. Yes, he got some assists in a few games, but he wasn't creating the opportunities for others. 

And all of this is beside the point because the Hawks aren't trading Trae if they have any actual sense. 

Is it reasonable to expect that the Hawks will trade Trae?  I believe, if the right offer hits the table, he's a goner.

Will I be shocked if the Hawks trade Trae?  Yes!

:ahf: