• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member

Seeing lots of Murray trade ideas cropping up:

Hawks get: Jalen Suggs, Jett Howard, Orlando's 2025 1st round pick, Orlando's 2027 first round pick

Magic Get: Dejounte Murray and Anfernee Simons

Blazers Get: Anthony Black, Orlando's 2024 1st round pick (No. 18 overall), and Orlando's 2025 1st rounder via Denver protected 1-5)

Sacramento Kings receive: Dejounte Murray, AJ Griffin

Atlanta Hawks receive: Harrison Barnes, Keon Ellis, Sasha Vezenkov, 2024 13th-overall pick

The Hawks fielded offers for Murray leading up to this past winter’s trade deadline but couldn’t find one worth executing. During that time, they spoke with the Knicks, league sources said, but the two sides never got close to an agreement. Part of Murray’s appeal to New York was his flippability; the Knicks could trade for Murray at the deadline, then include him in another deal for a star this summer or next season.
Source: New York Times

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I’ve got this sinking feeling that the Hawks will end up sending Murray to the Spurs and that the pick swap could very well be 1 for 4.  

Spurs get Murray and #1.  

Hawks get Johnson, #4, #8, #35, Chicago’s 25 FRP and a FRP in like 2029.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hawks get: Jalen Suggs, Jett Howard, Orlando's 2025 1st round pick, Orlando's 2027 first round pick

Blazers Get: Anthony Black, Orlando's 2024 1st round pick (No. 18 overall), and Orlando's 2025 1st rounder via Denver protected 1-5)

Atlanta Hawks receive: Harrison Barnes, Keon Ellis, Sasha Vezenkov, 2024 13th-overall pick

The Hawks fielded offers for Murray leading up to this past winter’s trade deadline but couldn’t find one worth executing. During that time, they spoke with the Knicks, league sources said, but the two sides never got close to an agreement. Part of Murray’s appeal to New York was his flippability; the Knicks could trade for Murray at the deadline, then include him in another deal for a star this summer or next season.

Kyle Neubeck is an idiot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I’ve got this sinking feeling that the Hawks will end up sending Murray to the Spurs and that the pick swap could very well be 1 for 4.  

Spurs get Murray and #1.  

Hawks get Johnson, #4, #8, #35, Chicago’s 25 FRP and a FRP in like 2029.  

So breakdown the individual returns:

What are we getting for #1?

What are we getting for Murray?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So breakdown the individual returns:

What are we getting for #1?

What are we getting for Murray?

Essentially breaks down into 1 for 4 and 8; Murray for Johnson, #35, 25 FRP, and a future FRP.  

From an accounting standpoint, it saves the Hawks roughly $3.5 million in 24/25.   35th pick probably gets a two way deal.  

Edited by KB21

47 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but Orlando can’t trade their FRP two years in a row, right?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kg01 said:

As is whoever said we're having a "fire sale".  Why?  Team is a hair behind the sixers rn. 

I said what I said. 

I don't believe we are having a fire sale, we have no benefit to tanking.  These are usually bad rumors.

Philly is pretty wide open at the moment.  They have only Embiid under contract, and will almost certainly sign Maxey.  So, it really depends on who they are able to get.  

We are on the opposite end where our payroll is right at the 2nd apron.  

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but Orlando can’t trade their FRP two years in a row, right?

It would need to be a trade after the draft. Magic makes their 2024 pick then trade it.

• Like 1

• Admin
45 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I would do the magic trade

Absolutely but I don’t see Orlando trading away Suggs … dude is one of the best defenders in the league and hit the three at a 40% clip

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

They may be able to after they draft the player.  (Trade player rather than the pick)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

I don't have an account with the AJC.  Can anyone tell me what this article says?

19 hours ago

Editor’s note: With the Hawks holding the No. 1 pick in the coming NBA draft, there are plenty of opinions on what the team should do with the selection. Each week before the draft starts June 26, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution will present one opinion. This week: Jake Fischer from Yahoo Sports.

Less than two weeks remain until the NBA draft, and the Hawks have gotten some of their top targets in the building for workouts. But that doesn’t mean the Hawks are much closer to their decision, and they have a lot of things to continue to think about as they mull over their pick.

But many draft analysts and NBA insiders seem to lean toward French wing Zaccharie Risacher as the front-runner for who the Hawks may pick. In Monday’s episode of the Hawks Report podcast presented by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Yahoo Sports senior NBA reporter Jake Fischer broke down why experts project Risacher as the likely top pick in this month’s draft.

“I would probably lean toward Risacher right now, just being that A) in general across the league, these games are being decided on the perimeter,” Fischer said. “We’re watching it in the (NBA Finals), right now, with Luka Doncic and Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown being these big wings that can go and get anywhere on the floor anytime they want. And the Hawks don’t exactly have a surefire, clear-cut, like wing of the future.”

Fischer added that while the Hawks have Jalen Johnson in their rotation, the team likely envisions the 22-year-old forward as more of a point forward and that selecting Risacher would allow him to develop alongside Johnson.

The Hawks are in the unique position of being able to draft the best player available while addressing some the things that their rotation and lineups need. For Fischer though, the Hawks should take the guy with the highest possible ceiling and continue to build around that talent.

“I think at that point, you pick the guy that you think has the highest possible ceiling,” he said. “Like, I’m as big a Jalen Johnson fan as there is out there, and I flew down to Atlanta right before the trade deadline. We talked for 40 minutes, I spent time talking to his high school coach and his parents and people at Duke and people who were around him at the Skyhawks for a couple of games. Like I’m a big fan of that guy.

“But if you think someone in the draft is the best player in this draft, and he has the ultimate ceiling of all these prospects; Atlanta has been the most clear-cut definition of mediocre for the last four years. And if that’s where you stand as a franchise, you can’t afford to, you know; you don’t want to be Phoenix or Sacramento six years later and say, ‘Why didn’t we take Luka Doncic because we were afraid that he wouldn’t fit with Devin Booker, or we were afraid he wouldn’t fit with De’Aaron Fox.’ Those guys are phenomenal All-Stars in their own right.

“But now Luka is playing with Kyrie Irving, and he was having success with Jalen Brunson. Like there’s multiple guards, there’s multiple bigs, you know. I think Minnesota at the other end of the scale, these teams are just showing you got to get talent together and figure it out. And I just think that’s what the Hawks ultimately do, too.”

Edited by mountainjim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Seems like the Spurs are getting EXACTLY what they need: a starting PG to help Wemby and the #1 pick to take exactly who they want.

Hawks, not so much. We are trading #1 AND Murray and not even getting a starting caliber player back? and making $19 million?  :blanky: I'd pass. Hawks have to get back Vassell or Sochan, not a bench guy SAS doesn't want. I'm not swayed by more picks.

Well, I didn’t say I agreed with it.  I said that I have a sinking feeling that something like this will happen.  

As an aside, what is Sochan’s fit with the Hawks?   SA isn’t giving up Vassel.  

50 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I believe a team can trade their 1sts this year and next year only if the trade is processed after this year’s draft and the team has a 1st in the year after next year (avoiding the Stepien rule). 

Edited by djjob23
  • Like 2