2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

"We had to take the deal the market allowed.  I'm not sure why Murray's value was so diminished.  It's like the other teams knew I had no leverage for ... some (plethora of) reason(s)." - also Landry

I'm literally begging for just one move to change my mind. I want to believe y'all have an ability to squeeze extra value out of *something*. Just the one. 

At least Schlenk managed to take the falling/huge upside swings in the draft. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BangHolman said:

Never trade with Danny Ainge

It's two part for me. I like Clingan. He should be better than Kessler. So I'll start with that caveat lol. But...

1. Ainge is already dangling a very good Clingan type player before his rookie deal is up? And we're gonna spend #1 on that same archetype? 

2. I agree with your rule, but trading down and coming out of this draft with one of the wings, Kessler, and maybbeeee more is a lot better than just Clingan alone imo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, thecampster said:

Watching Heurter get traded over salary missteps hurt me most of all.  He is the ultimate glue guy. He is never going to be a star. He'll never be Klay Thompson but dang if he can't be the guy that brings the other 4 all together, bails out Trae when he's being bad Trae and we let him walk for "a potential pick" then went out and got Bey because we were missing something, had to replace what Huerter brought with Matthews/Vit (who I love). Just maddening.

Im hearing Huerter is available. lol

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

All this fuss over Trae freaking Young.  It’s like Carmelo Knicks and Dame Blazers fanbase all over again, grasping at straws for players who “fit” this highly specialized player.  Yall know none of them are coming anyway, they don’t want to.

I know many of yall can’t recognize makeup traits and resist metrics that are widely cited and applied by analysts and all 30 teams, I won’t bore yall anymore with that.  But try to follow some basic stats.

I have to make sure the board is aware he has 30/40 shooting splits in the playoffs with a barely 2:1 assist to turn ratio.  Do we realize this?  I know he bears no responsibility for those numbers, it’s Nate and roster construction and injuries and yada yada, I get it.  But do we know this is putrid?

Do we also know the NBA basically allowed light hand checking again and is trying to limit foul baiting?  Do we know that Trae will be the most affected player in the league with these amendments?  Just checking.

Do we know a player who refused to be drafted here basically ate Trae for lunch and pre-dinner snack this past season and made All NBA 3rd?  If the rumors are true (who knows) Sarr is a smart dude. 

Do we even follow the rest of the NBA?  Do we know what goes into a 50 win team and respectable point differential (2 things the Hawks have never come close to nor ever will with Trae?)

Last time we saw this kid he was getting dusted off by Coby f&@kin White in a play in elimination game.  The same Coby White who the heat proceeded to treat like a two-way contract player. What are we doing?

200w.gif.81fff04c1bf83b7dad7473f92532b48b.gif

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

This offseason has been the most depressing for me as a Hawks fan. I'm just reading all 500 pages and barely posting, but I feel burned out and just ready to accept whoever the FO drafts. 

And the offseason hasn't even really started. 🙄 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

My question which is pretty general ... are we going to make moves to contend or are we getting ready to rebuild????

I've said this a few times but let me say it so its clear.

2025 - We don't own our own pick. We should have Sactown's

2026 - Spurs can swap picks with us and take the higher pick.

2027 - We don't own our own pick.

Unlike a traditional rebuild, you don't have your own pick for 3 more years.

If you trade your best players for picks, you're trading them to teams that will make the top 8 slots in each conference meaning, no lottery pick in return (95% probability or better).

You are pretty much guaranteed to not pick in the lottery until at the least 2028.

So if you "rebuild", you are depending on acquiring enough picks you can package them to move up or being stellar at talent evaluation. You could trade your good players for lots of "potential" young players and let them fight it out in a battle royale for playing time (see Houston).  The Team bent over on the Heurter, Collins, DJM trades and now have a bare cupboard for picks the next 3 years.  IE, No you can't rebuild. This is why picking a player you have to wait a few years on to develop is worse than hamster wheel.  This pick and what you can get in return for the players you have (send out players in zero sum trades) is your best bet to be better within the next 3 years.  If not, your rebuild is a 5+ year process.  Answer, if we have any intelligence in the front office, we are not rebuilding. We are tens of millions over the cap, nudging the 2nd apron and almost the entire roster is signed until 2027. You are only signing vet minimum players for the next 3 years barring amazing GM work, to which I'm not seeing evidence of that yet.  

We are short by position (on average), light at every position (on average) and are so dependent on the offensive abilities of Trae Young its obscene.

• Like 3

Just now, thecampster said:

We are short by position (on average), light at every position (on average) and are so dependent on the offensive abilities of Trae Young its obscene.

Do other fans and media not see this or are they choosing to ignore it so as to place an outsized level of blame on one player for all the team's shortcomings?

I mean, I'm not looking at @benhillboy when I ask this, but I'm not not looking at him either... 

• Like 4

Just now, kg01 said:

Do other fans and media not see this or are they choosing to ignore it so as to place an outsized level of blame on one player for all the team's shortcomings?

I mean, I'm not looking at @benhillboy when I ask this, but I'm not not looking at him either... 

They choose not to see it.  It's Atlanta, so they don't care.  LA has all these assets that they can trade though.  You know, everyone wants Austin Reaves and Rui Hachimura.  

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Just a reminder that Travis Schlenk is probably just :beach:.....in Washington laughing and bad mouthing the Hawks organization.

Lucky for Washington, Travis has no say in personnel.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Lucky for Washington, Travis has no say in personnel.

What do you think the convo with Sarr's agent (same as Luka) with Schlenk sounds like?

• Like 1