• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

Just now, KB21 said:

Jrue Holiday doesn't even have a quarter of the offensive gravity that Trae has.  

agree with you there. but it doesn't change my point. elite creator PGs don't win championships as the best players on their team. it's just fact. dame, cp3, westbrook, steve nash etc

2 minutes ago, therealist said:

agree with you there. but it doesn't change my point. elite creator PGs don't win championships as the best players on their team. it's just fact. dame, cp3, westbrook, steve nash etc

Elite shot creators are valuable, period.  Whether they are PGs, Cs, or Wings.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Is that the Jrue Holiday that Trae dropped 48/11 on in his first ECF appearance?  

yep but you can call him the 2 time.

being the best shot creating PG in the league does not equate to being the best PG in the league. that's all i'm saying. i like trae, i like his game, i don't think we should trade him. but to say he's the best PG in the league is homerish

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Just because the team is considering all options doesn't mean they are going to act on it. Frankly, the fact they ARE open to looking at all options is a good thing for the franchise. Travis was fired in part because he wanted to blow things up, move Trae and begin a second rebuild. 

Now we have a FO with a lot of voices in it and no one is being fired because they are advocating for a rebuild. It is crystal clear the current rudderless direction of trying to compete without paying the LT and sending out players for nothing has failed. They know this. They are trying to course correct. 

I agree this it the most important offseason in Hawks history. I have been a Hawks fan since 1979. I cannot ever remember a time where the team could completely go in two different directions and both directions are valid. Rebuild or contend? That's the question. 

I personally think they will go the contend route because unless we got out 3 firsts back from the Spurs rebuilding is NOT an option until 2028.

Would you want Travis back?  I’m on the fence regarding his drafting (Collins and Huerter were solid value) and his contract negotiation seemed neutral.  

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, therealist said:

yep but you can call him the 2 time.

being the best shot creating PG in the league does not equate to being the best PG in the league. that's all i'm saying. i like trae, i like his game, i don't think we should trade him. but to say he's the best PG in the league is homerish

Jrue is a beast but i don't see how a guy averaging under 5 assists a game could be the best PG in the league either.   Not sure what definition you are using. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Just because the team is considering all options doesn't mean they are going to act on it. Frankly, the fact they ARE open to looking at all options is a good thing for the franchise. Travis was fired in part because he wanted to blow things up, move Trae and begin a second rebuild. 

Now we have a FO with a lot of voices in it and no one is being fired because they are advocating for a rebuild. It is crystal clear the current rudderless direction of trying to compete without paying the LT and sending out players for nothing has failed. They know this. They are trying to course correct. 

I agree this it the most important offseason in Hawks history. I have been a Hawks fan since 1979. I cannot ever remember a time where the team could completely go in two different directions and both directions are valid. Rebuild or contend? That's the question. 

I personally think they will go the contend route because unless we got out 3 firsts back from the Spurs rebuilding is NOT an option until 2028.

Can we stop saying 3 firsts?  We traded two of our firsts and a lottery protected Charlotte first.  If Charlotte doesn't make the playoffs next year (we are talking about the 21-61 Hornets), that pick conveys to two second round picks.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I agree this it the most important offseason in Hawks history.

Better assessed 3 years later... almost always been that we are predisposed to consider the current off-season yuuuuuuge.

But I'd argue that the standard for an off-season being a candidate for "most important" is about being at that place in the timeline where you are one or two entirely-plausibly-achieveable deal(s) away from elevating your status from playoff material to upper-tier material.

And I say that because the goal is summitting Everest. Until you're at that highest base camp from which to launch the assault on the big achievement, you're really not anywhere that is that different from anywhere else you've been.

Like the rebuild that began 7 years ago with the Dwight Howard trade, shortly after Travis took over... there was never much question that eventually that would pay some dividends, and the team would eventually thus be within some striking distance of mattering.

For now, the most important off-season... (hey, thanks basketball gods...) was an off-season that followed a silly season held in spite of a pandemic that proved nothing really... (no one should ever regard the winners of the 2020 professional sports seasons as legit b/c they were not... ).

Decisions were made based on flawed, even specious, conclusions. And a roster that could have benefited from some MLE reinforcements was, not. Same, the next off-season. Same, the next off-season.

(Why not? Well, do I need to go there? Really? Nah. I don't.)

For all the focus on organizational philosophy, it's a lot like debating whether the deck chairs should be on the starboard side of the Titanic or the port side... right?... as-if not nearly as consequential is the person holding court in the navigation bridge and making decisions based first on financial self-interest.

*sigh*

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, txsting said:

We still have our 2016 first round pick, though it will be the lower of the Spurs and Hawks picks due to the pick swap.

Oops!  2016 is past and gone...

:ahf:

• Haha 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

This is the thing Ive started to come to terms with.  Its obvious players do not like Trae nor are they itching to come play with him.  I dont know why that is but its not really that relevant.  Probably why we jumped on Murray.  To me this is probably the biggest barrier to building around him, which has been difficult to say the least.  Star level players have to want to be here.  Trae gets consistently poor survey results amongst his peers in the league.

Do you know how much it mattered whether Kyrie "wanted" to play in Dallas with Luka or not?  Not at all.  They simply traded for him.  Teams don't generally call players up and feel them out and have a feelings sharing session where they share about other players.  They simply add good talent.  It isn't that complicated.  With few exceptions, you don't need a player's consent to add them to the team by draft or trade.  It is only free agents that fall into that category and Jalen Brunson ran out of dodge when he was a free agent.  Since he didn't want to stay with Luka, the team just traded for another All-Star talent.  Didn't matter who wanted to be there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NekiEcko said:

Wow, it seems you're not a fan of Trae, @benhillboy. I sense the "ether" in that post, and while it's understandable, here's why some of us don't want Trae to leave. It's been a long journey to find a star through the draft, and trading him to another team isn't ideal. It took almost 30-40 years between Nique and Trae (1982 - 2018), and there's no guarantee we'll draft another star or attract a marquee free agent with the new CBA. We can't compare our situation to teams like OKC or Orlando either; OKC was extremely lucky, and Orlando had to endure prolonged periods of poor performance for their rebuilds.

We should be cautious about what we wish for because it might just come true, and we could end up singing the "What if" tune once more.

Ya'll extremely underrate the goat Atlanta Hawks, Al Horford. We never won without him much. We have a spurt. With Al, we had many moments. 50 win seasons, we even finished 1st in the East. Most winningest Atlanta Hawk of all time. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, AHF said:

Most of the team was not new last season.  With a team like that you should also be entering the year looking to compete - not planning to  have a lost year where you don't accomplish anything of value and simply spend the year in "development."  The period to use as a time for Quin to get a look at people without caring so much about results was the 1/4 of a season he coached in 2022-23.

I grant the benefit of a doubt that they were looking to compete, but that's where your theory kicks in that they had Plan A, and no Plan B in any shape/form.

One can only speculate that APR said, "Look, if we can make a deal for Siakim, that's fine. Hope we can get that done. I'm good with it. But even if that can't get done, I don't really care, we're not paying John Collins next season, regardless, no matter the net effect to the 23-24 season results... so whatever deal you can find, take it."

So, come to think of it... no, they had a Plan B... but counterintuitively, it was rooted in winning on the spreadsheet, no matter the cost to winning on the court.